ADVERTISEMENT

S & C coach

Maybe you should take the RU DB job.

Over the last few years we have put together some really good DB stuff to get our kids in the right position. I knew we were doing a good job with what we run because our entire league was talking about the "man coverage" we run and we do not run man coverage ever.

We run a pattern read system. Essentially never covering empty space. Helped us force 19 turnovers and 66 TFLs this season. 1 of my CBs is shaping up to be a D1 kid with the potential of a sophomore CB to get there also.

gef: do you also have to teach at the school? My brother in law is an O-line coach at a small school in upstate NY. They require him to hold a faculty position. I assume it's a budget thing.

gef: do you also have to teach at the school? My brother in law is an O-line coach at a small school in upstate NY. They require him to hold a faculty position. I assume it's a budget thing.

I actually teach in one district and coach in another (football and lacrosse). The district I teach in could stop me from coaching out of district and make me coach in district if they wanted to.

I actually teach in one district and coach in another (football and lacrosse). The district I teach in could stop me from coaching out of district and make me coach in district if they wanted to.
Does your school give you an open period at the end of the day so you can get to your coaching job on time ?

Does your school give you an open period at the end of the day so you can get to your coaching job on time ?

We get out significantly earlier than the school I coach out and the two schools are not very far away. I am done with school around 2:30 and practice starts at 3:30. Some of the games during lacrosse season pose more of a problem because of travel time. Football season is easy with games mostly on Friday nights.

"Meet the strength coach Alabama will pay like a head coach"

Strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochran is staying with Nick Saban rather than going to Georgia with Kirby Smart, Alabama announced on Monday.

This is a big deal because Cochran was considered arguably the best at his job in all of college football and losing him to an in-conference rival would have been perceived a big blow to Alabama, his close relationship with Smart notwithstanding.

But the more interesting part of this will come later when Alabama announces the financial aspects of what it took to keep Cochran.

According to AL.com, Cochran, who has been at Alabama since 2007, received a contract extension this year through 2017 that raised his salary to $420,000 per year...."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-alabama-will-pay-like-a-head-coach/77322982/

Reactions: gef21
If it isn't that hard please put in an application to be the next RU DB coach. Your HS coach and you must know of technique that no one else knows about and haven't shared it.

Covering a WR or TE is the toughest job in football. Its one thing to be a free safety sitting back and jump a route going forward; its a whole other thing to be running down the field (back to the QB) chasing a WR not knowing where he is going to break and turn for a timing route.

Please put in a application.
So tired of this! Yeah, Moz it's called being a decent DB, not a great one, just decent. And, for a Div. I football player playing DB, not to be able and find the ball in the air, while in flight, is pathetic. If the ball is in the air, it belongs to the DB, as much as the WR. Our kids have been taught the easier coverage, because those coaches are IDIOTS! The don't trust the kid to make a play on the ball, so they teach them to stay close, wave your hands in the WR's face like some kind of scarecrow. And, after the WR catches the ball make the tackle, 50 yards down field. Yeah, great coaching!
Thank G*d that one of those coaches is now coaching our opponents DB's....

Last edited:
So tired of this! Yeah, Moz it's called being a decent DB, not a great one, just decent. And, for a Div. I football player playing DB, not to be able and find the ball in the air, while in flight, is pathetic. If the ball is in the air, it belongs to the DB, as much as the WR. Our kids have taught the easier coverage, because those coaches are IDIOTS! Thank G*d that one of those coaches is now coaching our opponents DB's....

Actually Ru traditionally taught a much harder coverage as opposed to others. teaching the swipe technique, as opposed to CBs having outside contain, is a much more difficult technique for the CB that puts them behind sometimes (especially when they are inexperienced).

From Chris Ash himself:
17.%2BVs%2BOutside%2BRelease.JPG

18.%2BVs%2BInside%2BRelease.JPG

PLEASE NOTE: Versus either an Outside or Inside release, the turn to the ball is only done 1.) if the DB is "in-phase" (ie: DB and WR are running side-by-side) and 2.) the receiver is pinned to the sideline. If the DB is in "trail" position, there are no instructions (no one teachers their DB to trail on purpose...), but I would assume you play through the hands like the VTech article I linked above.

[SOURCE]

This has nothing to do with S &C, but it has always bugged me about our staff. Technique A is more effective, but harder to teach and execute. Technique B is less effective, but easier to learn and execute. Our staff chose the easy route.

Sadly, it's probably what you settle for when you have a revolving door in the defensive backfield... a chronic condition under flood.

Usually we have taught to get back to the hip if you end up trailing then find the football.

gef: that's not dependent on whether or not there's safety help over top?

The slides above are specifically for Chris Ash's cover-4. In his version (and you probably already know this since you run a similar scheme), you can't assume you'll have safety help b/c he has the #2 receiver if #2 goes vertical.

I do not publicly state where I coach. I am a DC and a S and C coach for a NJ high school team. I have spent 14 years coaching (mostly at the high school level) but spent one year as a special teams coordinator and RB coach at a D1aa school. NJ/NY/eastern Pa was my recruiting territory. I saw a lot of success there but chose to return to high school football.

My wife wants me to get back into college coaching.
Thank you for your reply.

gef: that's not dependent on whether or not there's safety help over top?

The slides above are specifically for Chris Ash's cover-4. In his version (and you probably already know this since you run a similar scheme), you can't assume you'll have safety help b/c he has the #2 receiver if #2 goes vertical.

With our coverage if #1 goes vertical our CB goes with him. If #1 goes in the CBs eyes go right for #2. It is the opposite for our safeties. If #2 goes vertical the safety runs with him and if #2 goes out his eyes go to #1.

This is a simplified version of it.

We never assume we have help over the top unless we have shifted to our cover 3 or robber coverages. We play hand on hip and find the ball.

Also if we are trailing it means we are beat. Even in cover 2 our CB will run with #1 if #1 goes vertical. He will then put his eyes on to the flat to jump #2 if #2 threatens.

This is why people think we are in man when we are not.

We can stick in cover 4 and still be aggressive in the flat or we can be in cover 2 and still run with deep routes.

Sounds advanced for HS.

But then again, kids these days are getting a LOT of mental reps playing video games. Folks here like to poo on Madden, but honestly I've learned more about the Xs & Os from that game than actually playing in HS.

HS focused a lot more on fundamentals and tactics (ie: your position). Video games give great insight into overall strategy (ie: what route combinations are better against certain defenses; what's the weakness in this particular coverage; etc.).

I would imagine there are 10-12 year olds who know Stick, Snag, X-Follow, Slant-flat, Choice, etc. from simply playing the game so much. Heck, I can actually "see" route combinations on Sundays now because of Madden...

Sounds advanced for HS.

But then again, kids these days are getting a LOT of mental reps playing video games. Folks here like to poo on Madden, but honestly I've learned more about the Xs & Os from that game than actually playing in HS.

HS focused a lot more on fundamentals and tactics (ie: your position). Video games give great insight into overall strategy (ie: what route combinations are better against certain defenses; what's the weakness in this particular coverage; etc.).

I would imagine there are 10-12 year olds who know Stick, Snag, X-Follow, Slant-flat, Choice, etc. from simply playing the game so much. Heck, I can actually "see" route combinations on Sundays now because of Madden...
It is somewhat advanced but it comes naturally with reps. Biggest issue is high school kids like to look at qbs. The defense we run helps eliminate that.

Video games are good and bad. They understand some ideas of the game but they also question play calls because of what they do in madden.

Actually Ru traditionally taught a much harder coverage as opposed to others. teaching the swipe technique, as opposed to CBs having outside contain, is a much more difficult technique for the CB that puts them behind sometimes (especially when they are inexperienced).
I remember the McCourtney brother facing the WR until the ball came but after 1-2 years looked more to the QB. Logan looked more to the QB in most of his career.

How is the defensive back going to intercept the pass or knock it down without turning around?I understand its a timing issue but turning the head has to be part of the process.
Not always. There are 2 techniques taught at the college and pro levels for man coverage. Depending on where you are in relation to the Receiver (in phase or out of phase) you have 2 options. Play the ball or play the man. If you're in phase, you can do either. If you're out of phase, you always play the man fighting to get back in phase. Playing the ball means you look through the ear hole until the receiver turns his head and brings his hands up. The DB then puts his near hand up through the receiver's hands and when his eyes light up, turn your head and look for the ball. If you're playing the man, you wait for the receiver to make a play on the ball and your eyes go from hip to hands to ball and you either knock it out on the way up, or strip it on the way down. In loose man or press bail, if you determine it's a short or intermediate route, you read the receiver and then look for the ball. In zone coverage the read is 1 to 2 to Q (looking for the ball delivery). Hope this helps.

Reactions: miketd1
Here's Logan Ryan's highlights against Arkansas. I know it's only one game, but looks like he had safety help on 80-90% of those plays.

I do not publicly state where I coach. I am a DC and a S and C coach for a NJ high school team. I have spent 14 years coaching (mostly at the high school level) but spent one year as a special teams coordinator and RB coach at a D1aa school. NJ/NY/eastern Pa was my recruiting territory. I saw a lot of success there but chose to return to high school football.

My wife wants me to get back into college coaching.

Probably because she saw how mush Rossi was making plus his buyout and knew you could do a better job. Good luck with you team.

Probably because she saw how mush Rossi was making plus his buyout and knew you could do a better job. Good luck with you team.
Yeah she would be happy if I brought home that pay check.

Thanks. We should have a pretty good team next year. A lot of off season work to do though.

This has nothing to do with S &C, but it has always bugged me about our staff. Technique A is more effective, but harder to teach and execute. Technique B is less effective, but easier to learn and execute. Our staff chose the easy route.
How is it hard to watch the receiver's eyes and turn when he sees the receiver's eyes tracking the ball? Not only do you know without turning the ball is near, but you'll know roughly where it is too, so you know which way to turn. It's simple. I know it, how could they not know it? Yet the alternative is that they, for whatever reason, decided as you point out, not to teach that to the kids on purpose. In not sure which is worse.
In any event, the program really lost a lot over the last 4 years in terms of player development, strength, endurance and overall conditioning as well as discipline. So glad that caporegime is behind us.

How is it hard to watch the receiver's eyes and turn when he sees the receiver's eyes tracking the ball? Not only do you know without turning the ball is near, but you'll know roughly where it is too, so you know which way to turn. It's simple. I know it, how could they not know it? Yet the alternative is that they, for whatever reason, decided as you point out, not to teach that to the kids on purpose. In not sure which is worse.
In any event, the program really lost a lot over the last 4 years in terms of player development, strength, endurance and overall conditioning as well as discipline. So glad that caporegime is behind us.
It is not about watching the WRs eyes. I actually think watching the eyes is very difficult. It is about feeling the hip turn. The hips will always tell you what the WR is doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT