ADVERTISEMENT

Sargeant Article, "Playing With the Big Boys"

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Well done article detailing the Rutgers football program from a financial perspective, looking at income and expense streams (and how we're now profitable) and how the overall program has been assembled like a modest-sized corporation. Lots of discussion on future facilities too. Worth a read.

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2024/04/playing-with-the-big-boys.html

That’s because Rutgers is expected to receive at least $80 million this year from the Big Ten Conference. Add an additional $20 million in anticipated College Football Playoff revenue starting in 2025, and Schiano’s program is expected to gross roughly $100 million before fans buy a single ticket in the years ahead, practically ensuring profitability, an NJ Advance Media financial analysis found.

Well done article detailing the Rutgers football program from a financial perspective, looking at income and expense streams (and how we're now profitable) and how the overall program has been assembled like a modest-sized corporation. Lots of discussion on future facilities too. Worth a read.

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2024/04/playing-with-the-big-boys.html

That’s because Rutgers is expected to receive at least $80 million this year from the Big Ten Conference. Add an additional $20 million in anticipated College Football Playoff revenue starting in 2025, and Schiano’s program is expected to gross roughly $100 million before fans buy a single ticket in the years ahead, practically ensuring profitability, an NJ Advance Media financial analysis found.
What was well done about it? It was the same old rehash of finances and recycled info. It's played out already.

What was well done about it? It was the same old rehash of finances and recycled info. It's played out already.
I canceled my subscription awhile back so can’t read this but Didn’t Sargeant previously write an article that Rutgers would never be out of the red??

Reactions: Leonard23
yeah, nothing new and certainly nothing earth shattering or unknown. Just the same story with a different approach to telling the story.

RU has a bright future

Reactions: Leonard23
The article will be read by lots of folks who are not Rutgers fans. In NJ, there are probably as many Notre Dame and Penn State fans as Rutgers fans. And many folks who are not college sports fans, just NJ taxpayers.

Why? If they go under, we would have no real source of NJ news coverage. And even less Rutgers coverage. Not clear to me how we are better off.
They can careless as long as they get to spend day after day discussing OT topics until it’s time for the early bird special life is good. Win or lose doesn’t really matter let’s keep RU small time that suits them just fine.

The Knight Report and Aaron Breitman cover Rutgers sports far better than traditional NJ media and you don't have to deal with the constant negative slant.

Canceled the Ledger when they framed Bob Mulcahy - never looked back.
Exactly. And there is Gannett NJ, Asbury Park Press etc. Chris Iseman and Carino do good work on Rutgers coverage without all of the backanded sleights and drama.

yeah, nothing new and certainly nothing earth shattering or unknown. Just the same story with a different approach to telling the story.

RU has a bright future
I didn't read it. But if it's the same info with a positive spin...that's a big deal in my opinion. A significant departure from the usual rinse and repeat paint by numbers Rutgers finances story that conflates the expense of the athletic department overall with football and hoops team spending.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
Sergeant is not a friend to this university and more specifically the athletics department. This is merely a spin on news everyone already knows. He and the other dullards that work with him have no choice but to reverse course because the full payouts and increases are finally coming due.

Sergeant is not a friend to this university and more specifically the athletics department. This is merely a spin on news everyone already knows. He and the other dullards that work with him have no choice but to reverse course because the full payouts and increases are finally coming due.
exactly

why anyone would read and support, either financially or through clicks, is beyond me

this^^^ As evidenced by his comments in the article... "Will that revenue pay off in victories and prestige? Or will Rutgers remain relegated to a patsy pummeled for a lucrative annual payday?"

It was not the same old rehash. It was much more positive about RU's football finances than anything I've seen NJ.com publish (unless I missed something before) and IMO that's a big deal, as like it or not, they're still the most important NJ media source there is.

The unnatural hate for everything that comes out of NJ.com is astounding - I bet you and the other whiners still think Tom Luicci, RU grad and Targum sportswriter/editor and huge RU fan, hates Rutgers because he wrote some accurate negative articles about RU.

It was not the same old rehash. It was much more positive about RU's football finances than anything I've seen NJ.com publish (unless I missed something before) and IMO that's a big deal, as like it or not, they're still the most important NJ media source there is.

The unnatural hate for everything that comes out of NJ.com is astounding - I bet you and the other whiners still think Tom Luicci, RU grad and Targum sportswriter/editor and huge RU fan, hates Rutgers because he wrote some accurate negative articles about RU.
Is this an accurate quote, if so, the hate is not unnatural. Their history speaks volumes.

this^^^ As evidenced by his comments in the article... "Will that revenue pay off in victories and prestige? Or will Rutgers remain relegated to a patsy pummeled for a lucrative annual payday?"

If it was free to read all of you would read it. Since it’s pay to read you all just bash it. Lol
no, I'd never read it and it being pay or not has no bearing on my bashing anything from that rag. You can either grow up and discuss like an adult and stop making assumptions or you can leave the room and let the adults talk

no, I'd never read it and it being pay or not has no bearing on my bashing anything from that rag. You can either grow up and discuss like an adult and stop making assumptions or you can leave the room and let the adults talk
The adults want to get rid of NJ’s newspaper just because they have to pay to read. The article is fair some can’t Stand to have to pay for anything. When Keith wrote for the Home News everyone loved him. When the players and coaches are bashed here on a regular basis it’s ok but An article is written and now it’s a rag come on.

The adults want to get rid of NJ’s newspaper just because they have to pay to read. The article is fair some can’t Stand to have to pay for anything. When Keith wrote for the Home News everyone loved him. When the players and coaches are bashed here on a regular basis it’s ok but An article is written and now it’s a rag come on.
it's already dead, have you seen the numbers and ongoing layoffs and organic reduction in staff.

the papers sucks, flat out sucks and that has nothing to do with Rutgers. You make assumptions you shouldn't make, it makes you look worse than you already do

it's already dead, have you seen the numbers and ongoing layoffs and organic reduction in staff.

the papers sucks, flat out sucks and that has nothing to do with Rutgers. You make assumptions you shouldn't make, it makes you look worse than you already do
The whole board is every individual poster’s assumption lol. You and the rest are special I guess? I enjoy it and it’s cheap so why not get it. Some are just extra tight with the loose change.

It is new from one aspect. Football makes money. Lots of bad press about football losing money. This shows it doesn't. Where is @Fat Koko ?
Totally. Although they always implied, didn't state clearly, that football lost money. They would detail the expenses in the football program, and then detail the deficits of the athletics program overall, and let people make the natural (incorrect) assumptions.

Is this an accurate quote, if so, the hate is not unnatural. Their history speaks volumes.
The quote is a little bit harsh, but fundamentally it's accurate. If you don't think other B1G teams have looked at RU as an automatic win for our entire tenure in the B1G, I don't know what to tell you. The article is pretty balanced, highlighting the risks and potential for success for the program and unlike most previous evaluations it doesn't conclude that big-time football at RU is doomed to failure. Maybe actually read it.

The quote is a little bit harsh, but fundamentally it's accurate. If you don't think other B1G teams have looked at RU as an automatic win for our entire tenure in the B1G, I don't know what to tell you. The article is pretty balanced, highlighting the risks and potential for success for the program and unlike most previous evaluations it doesn't conclude that big-time football at RU is doomed to failure. Maybe actually read it.
We obviously differ on this , but it's a false narrative/fake news, IMO.

#1. 2014 was a good start for RU in the B1G- it obviously slid from there and the hire of Ash slid RU off a cliff.
#2 PSU, Ohio State and Michigan (to a lesser degree) have viewed Rutgers as an automatic win.
#3 Michigan State, Maryland, Indiana, and the teams in the West (except for Wisconsin) have not viewed Rutgers as an automatic win. That's over half of the teams in the B1G (Pre-2024).
#4- Sarge is a dullard and/or a midwit at best. He is a lazy journalist. He make a great pair with drama queen Politi. I prefer real writers who are not looking for a negative angle in almost every story. Try reading Chris Iseman for Gannet NJ, or some of the older stuff of JP Pelzman (RIP). It's night and day, and no, it's not all rah, rah.

Another incorrect assumption. What rock did you just crawl out from under? Subscribers fled in droves prior to online content. Rising prices, staff reduction, and minimal content was the start of it. Their treatment towards RU athletics is manifested on this site...well..because most of here are Rutgers fans and their mostly negative slight towards Rutgers does not go well 9n this site. Hope that helps.

The Knight Report and Aaron Breitman cover Rutgers sports far better than traditional NJ media and you don't have to deal with the constant negative slant.

Canceled the Ledger when they framed Bob Mulcahy - never looked back.
Yes .. typical hatchet job the Star Liar.

We obviously differ on this , but it's a false narrative/fake news, IMO.

#1. 2014 was a good start for RU in the B1G- it obviously slid from there and the hire of Ash slid RU off a cliff.
#2 PSU, Ohio State and Michigan (to a lesser degree) have viewed Rutgers as an automatic win.
#3 Michigan State, Maryland, Indiana, and the teams in the West (except for Wisconsin) have not viewed Rutgers as an automatic win. That's over half of the teams in the B1G (Pre-2024).
#4- Sarge is a dullard and/or a midwit at best. He is a lazy journalist. He make a great pair with drama queen Politi. I prefer real writers who are not looking for a negative angle in almost every story. Try reading Chris Iseman for Gannet NJ, or some of the older stuff of JP Pelzman (RIP). It's night and day, and no, it's not all rah, rah.
I’ll start by saying that I didn’t read the article.

I’m curious if Sargeant brought up NIL support when suggesting that time will tell whether Rutgers is able to be anything but a cellar dweller. If he did not and was solely focusing on conference payout, then it’s an incomplete analysis given how much NIL currently matters for competitiveness & roster construction.

sIt is new from one aspect. Football makes money. Lots of bad press about football losing money. This shows it doesn't. Where is @Fat Koko ?
According to the financial reports, Rutgers ranks 107 out of 107 schools. Not so hot.

Rutgers is dead last on the numbers. Many tens of millions bloodbath.

Last edited:
Another incorrect assumption. What rock did you just crawl out from under? Subscribers fled in droves prior to online content. Rising prices, staff reduction, and minimal content was the start of it. Their treatment towards RU athletics is manifested on this site...well..because most of here are Rutgers fans

The SL dug their own grave a long time ago: look at the hatchet job they did on Bob Mulcahy.

I will read the article when I have a chance, in the meantime i am just curious if this quote that numbers posted is accurate:

that’s because Rutgers is expected to receive at least $80 million this year from the Big Ten Conference. Add an additional $20 million in anticipated College Football Playoff revenue starting in 2025, and Schiano’s program is expected to gross roughly $100 million before fans buy a single ticket in the years ahead, practically ensuring profitability, an NJ Advance Media financial analysis found.

if that is an accurate quote, isn't the fact that NJ Advance Media (a/k/a the Star Ledger) is now acknowledging future profitability a fundamental change in how they usually present the issue and a validation of what many of us have been saying for years?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT