ADVERTISEMENT

Season Tickets

Section114

Junior
Jan 13, 2012
I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this. I donated $$ which for the past 20 years has made me eligible to buy season MBB tickets in the lower section.

This year, I go to renew and there is a seat license of $525.00 per seat. When I called to inquire about the seat license versus my donation and how that has always "been intended" as the seat license, I was told the donation was no longer necessary. I inquired as to whether or not the donation can be converted to the seat license fee and was told...sorry, NO!

So, I've been a season ticket holder for 30 years, donated tens of thousands of dollars and they treat me like this. Very Sad!

They really should have communicated this far in advance to avoid situations like yours. Would sure ask for a one time exception to the new policy.

Reactions: BigLou
I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this. I donated $$ which for the past 20 years has made me eligible to buy season MBB tickets in the lower section.

This year, I go to renew and there is a seat license of $525.00 per seat. When I called to inquire about the seat license versus my donation and how that has always "been intended" as the seat license, I was told the donation was no longer necessary. I inquired as to whether or not the donation can be converted to the seat license fee and was told...sorry, NO!

So, I've been a season ticket holder for 30 years, donated tens of thousands of dollars and they treat me like this. Very Sad!
As far as I know the seat license has been in affect for quite a few years now. I sat in 105 and 102 for a few years before moving back to 203 and always had to
pay the seat license. I do see that now I have to pay the seat license for 203 unlike in the past.

I suspect that this change is due to last year's new tax law which no longer allows for a charitable deduction for donations that are used as a requirement for sports season tickets. Seat licenses are now not tax deductible, but you donation to The R Foundation is.

They actually did communicate this ... though not very clearly.

The 100-level seats require a donation to the R Scholarship Fund (RSF gift). Due to changes in the 2018 tax code, these donations are no longer tax deductible, and therefore also not eligible for corporate matching gifts. However they still count toward your priority points.

If you made an R Fund donation during the current fiscal year (July 1, 2018, to June 30, 2019) and you directed that donation to the RSF, then it counts toward your seats (and you should not have taken a tax deduction).

Because the RSF gift is no longer tax deductible, Rutgers indicates that "your seat fee must be designated to the R Scholarship Fund and should be paid through your ticket representative or your online account." This works for most people, since timing before or after Dec 31 no longer matters for tax deduction purposes.

When you go to buy your season tickets, the RSF gift is included in your invoice. But if you already made the required RSF gift, you should not have to pay it again. If the ticket agent is telling you that you do have to pay it again, you should call your Rutgers Development representative (https://rfund.scarletknights.com/staff.aspx) and explain the situation.

They actually did communicate this ... though not very clearly.

The 100-level seats require a donation to the R Scholarship Fund (RSF gift). Due to changes in the 2018 tax code, these donations are no longer tax deductible, and therefore also not eligible for corporate matching gifts. However they still count toward your priority points.

If you made an R Fund donation during the current fiscal year (July 1, 2018, to June 30, 2019) and you directed that donation to the RSF, then it counts toward your seats (and you should not have taken a tax deduction).

Because the RSF gift is no longer tax deductible, Rutgers indicates that "your seat fee must be designated to the R Scholarship Fund and should be paid through your ticket representative or your online account." This works for most people, since timing before or after Dec 31 no longer matters for tax deduction purposes.

When you go to buy your season tickets, the RSF gift is included in your invoice. But if you already made the required RSF gift, you should not have to pay it again. If the ticket agent is telling you that you do have to pay it again, you should call your Rutgers Development representative (https://rfund.scarletknights.com/staff.aspx) and explain the situation.

Thank you, I will try that tomorrow.

I allocated RSF Payments in March enough to cover my tix for basketball and football (although I ultimately gave up football - hopeless). Any money you give counts toward priority points for football parking so I always pay all of my RSF fees by the football deadline.

Since they include the RSF payment in your invoice you can’t renew online without being charged again for RSF. So, of course I have to call the ticket office to renew every year. Called last Wednesday and the rep said he’d have to call R Fund to verify the payment was made and he’d call me back in an hour. Never heard back so I called back at end of day. Said R Fund hadn’t responded to his email yet. I called the R Fund the next day and got voice mail so I hung up. Called ticket office again on Friday. Didn’t get my rep, got another guy but said he didn’t know anything but he’d tell my rep. Still nothing. Monday has come and gone, still no one has called me back once and Rutgers has still not taken the money that I am trying to give them.

Trying to be a 25 consecutive year season ticket holder. It’s wonderful to feel appreciated.

Reactions: Local Shill

Yes ...this was unbelievably poorly explained.

I had to go through three people to get this right and explained to me before i allocated my total donation

I allocated RSF Payments in March enough to cover my tix for basketball and football (although I ultimately gave up football - hopeless). Any money you give counts toward priority points for football parking so I always pay all of my RSF fees by the football deadline.

Since they include the RSF payment in your invoice you can’t renew online without being charged again for RSF. So, of course I have to call the ticket office to renew every year. Called last Wednesday and the rep said he’d have to call R Fund to verify the payment was made and he’d call me back in an hour. Never heard back so I called back at end of day. Said R Fund hadn’t responded to his email yet. I called the R Fund the next day and got voice mail so I hung up. Called ticket office again on Friday. Didn’t get my rep, got another guy but said he didn’t know anything but he’d tell my rep. Still nothing. Monday has come and gone, still no one has called me back once and Rutgers has still not taken the money that I am trying to give them.

Trying to be a 25 consecutive year season ticket holder. It’s wonderful to feel appreciated.
No season ticket holder should have to make multiple calls to the ticket office in order to get answers to the renewal payment process.Part of the problem is the constant turnover in staff because of the salary structure.

I havent looked at renewal applucation

Are you saying we have to pay a seat license in 200 levwl

Gee why didnt the Rutgers tell me this

I was charged 50 dollars per seat in the 200’s

Is anyone certain that I should not have been charged this if I paid a football seat donation fee. I still don’t understand

I was charged 50 dollars per seat in the 200’s

Is anyone certain that I should not have been charged this if I paid a football seat donation fee. I still don’t understand
Only if you paid an additional $50 toward RSF above the minimum RSF fee for football. They are separate charges/requirements. You can’t double count them. I only pay my RSF early as a single lump sum so I get the priority point credit toward football parking. (Which I no longer need because I’m basketball only now)

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Only if you paid an additional $50 toward RSF above the minimum RSF fee for football. They are separate charges/requirements. You can’t double count them. I only pay my RSF early as a single lump sum so I get the priority point credit toward football parking. (Which I no longer need because I’m basketball only now)

Gotcha. Thanks

If you haven't looked at the renewal application, how do you know they didn't tell you this?

How bout a heads up to tell a new policy

Imo the athletic department no longer using snail mail is ridiculous

Hell maybe an email or phone call

Its not like there are many season ticket accounts

The bottom line is the athletic department continues its mom and pop show despite the upgrade to the big 10

An additional $50 per ticket RSF donation merits preemptive emails and phone calls? It’s just like a price increase on tickets of about $3 a game except now you get added to the donor rolls and get priority points for the money paid. This is a giant nothing burger. Sorry, you’ve been dragged kicking and screaming to the donor roll. $50 is a joke.

There are pro teams that don’t even offer paper tickets OR ticket cards anymore. Strictly e-tickets. Now a guy who spends god knows how much time following Rutgers sports online needs the athletic department to waste money on snail mail to inform him about Rutgers athletics? Come on, now.

Last edited:
An additional $50 per ticket RSF donation merits preemptive emails and phone calls? It’s just like a price increase on tickets of about $3 a game except now you get added to the donor rolls and get priority points for the money paid. This is a giant nothing burger. Sorry, you’ve been dragged kicking and screaming to the donor roll. $50 is a joke.

There are pro teams that don’t even offer paper tickets OR ticket cards anymore. Strictly e-tickets. Now a guy who spends god knows how much time following Rutgers sports online needs the athletic department to waste money on snail mail to inform him about Rutgers athletics? Come on, now.

this isnt the point, the money is small, its the change without a heads up thats the issue and its a consistency with the department ...just like the issues many encounter trying to renew season tix for any sport on liine

After almost 20 years I am not a football season ticket holder...hope it doesnt hurt me with basketball.
----
I would guess that your longevity points will then be determined by how long you have had basketball season tickets. So if you had football for 20 years, but basketball only for the past 5, they would figure using the 5

this isnt the point, the money is small, its the change without a heads up thats the issue and its a consistency with the department ...just like the issues many encounter trying to renew season tix for any sport on liine
No, it’s not like the problems many encounter trying to renew. It’s about one person who doesn’t donate, doesn’t pay for parking, etc. complaining about having to actually pay a few more bucks to an athletic department that everyone knows is desperate for revenue.

What is the point of a heads up? You have like 6 weeks to commit to renew and can even pay for your season tickets in installments if you want. It’s not the lack of communication, it’s that you don’t like being asked for more money however small.

Last edited:
No, it’s not like the problems many encounter trying to renew. It’s about one person who doesn’t donate, doesn’t pay for parking, etc. complaining about having to actually pay a few more bucks to an athletic department that everyone knows is desperate for revenue.

What is the point of a heads up? You have like 6 weeks to commit to renew and can even pay for your season tickets in installments if you want. It’s not the lack of communication, it’s that you don’t like being asked for more money however small.
He's right. They should have communicated that the 200 seats would require a donation. Let's say someone donated $750 to the R Fund in January, directing the money to the Build Fund. Now they get hit up for another $100 donation for their 2 seats. Had they known, they may have directed some of the money to the Scholarship Fund to satisfy the seat donation requirement.

Or if someone has football and basketball tickets, they may have made the extra basketball donation in April, so it would count toward their football parking.

They should have communicated this.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Rutgers has my email and I never get any kind of communication from them. When I let the ticket rep about this he says I'll look into it . Renewals etc I have to call my ticket rep....who by the way has not even called about basketball renewals.

I'm in the same boat - over 20 yrs and 6 figure total over the that time period. When you inquired about it I bet they gave you the "it's because of the new tax laws." I was tipped off to this last year and I raised hell and they let me pass and I immediately turned off the donations because they were getting me nothing w/r/t ticket preferences. So now I pay the seat license which is less than half of what I had been donating. I pointed out the ridiculousness to my ticket rep and sent an email to the AD office but no reply.

The whole system is a mess.

I havent looked at renewal applucation

Are you saying we have to pay a seat license in 200 levwl

Gee why didnt the Rutgers tell me this

The ticket rep said every seat for both sports has a fee attached, varies depending on location.

What the **** are you talking about
..you know nothing about my situation

Furthermore it has nothing to do with it

Its called customer service

You are way off the mark and your comments are way out of line

If anyone is on the fence about getting tickets due to price, season tickets in the 300 level are $300. I am 99 percent certain there is no donation required.One year I got them and sat in the first row. I am not going to tell you it is a great seat but it is not bad and for some games you can easily move down. In addition, there is no need to pay for parking if you don’t mind walking a few minutes. Just look around the campus for no parking signs and you will be fine.—Bac is usually way too negative for me, but I have to agree the ticket office is a mess. I just had the fourth different rep in less than a year call me.I don’t know if it is salary or what the reason is for the turnover, but it must be getting as bad as Amazon there.

Last edited:
If anyone is on the fence about getting tickets due to price, season tickets in the 300 level are $300. I am 99 percent certain there is no donation required.One year I got them and sat in the first row. I am not going to tell you it is a great seat but it is not bad and for some games you can easily move down. In addition, there is no need to pay for parking if you don’t mind walking a few minutes. Just look around the campus for no parking signs and you will be fine.—Bac is usually way too negative for me, but I have to agree the ticket office is a mess. I just had the fourth different rep in less than a year call me.I don’t know if it is salary or what the reason is for the turnover, but it must be getting as bad as Amazon there.

Unless they changed the policy for this year, 300 level season tickets have not been available for 3-4 years now. Those of us who were up there already were grandfathered in, but you could not purchase additional or new seats in the 300 level. Maybe they changed that for this year though.

Yes, you can buy new season tickets in the 300 level. Row A is available. The ticket office phone number is 866-445-4678.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat - over 20 yrs and 6 figure total over the that time period. When you inquired about it I bet they gave you the "it's because of the new tax laws." I was tipped off to this last year and I raised hell and they let me pass and I immediately turned off the donations because they were getting me nothing w/r/t ticket preferences. So now I pay the seat license which is less than half of what I had been donating. I pointed out the ridiculousness to my ticket rep and sent an email to the AD office but no reply.

You're upset with Rutgers because you can't deduct donations that give you make in exchange for the right to buy tickets to athletic events? I suggest you should be upset with the IRS or Congress: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

Maybe it’s just me...maybe I’m just LOL-poor but the very notion of giving an AD 6 figures in donations beyond tickets is mind blowing! Hey I’m all for hard working people spending THEIR $$$ however they freakin’ want to...it just blows my mind!!:scream:

I just noticed the $25 fee per seat in the 200 sections today. This was not there 2 weeks ago as I put the total in my spending budget spreadsheet and how my total has increased $75. When was anyome told that there was a RSF for these seats. Was it in an email? A PDF with section costs like football?

It does when literally my application was released two weeks ago there was not RSF on it.

It does when literally my application was released two weeks ago there was not RSF on it.
Then that’s pure incompetence. There was a waiver of some random $25 ordering fee or something you renewed by June 6. Not sure if that’s what some are seeing.

BTW, 8 days later, still no one has called back to confirm I paid my RSF fee months ago and to take my money to renew my season tickets.

Last edited:

Bacala- I have reached out to several people. One said she would look into and now crickets. Such poor customer service across the board. Its beyond irritating. The lack of professionalism is sad.

I called the R Fund today. It's more screwed up than I thought. It's not just the ticket office's cluelessness and lack of customer service, the R Fund is equally messed up because it sounds like they either shouldn't have accepted my RSF allocation (which I clearly explained in March why I was allocating it to RSF) or should've allocated it to ANOTHER RSF fund. The person at R Fund was helpful but it looks like both the ticket office and R Fund are really poorly managed and were absurdly unprepared for a tax law that passed 18 months ago. Still waiting to renew.

The same happened to us--even though we have been donors for >25+ years. Ridiculous/incompetent--whatever adjective you want to use to describe this LATE and perhaps <intentional> miscommunication about this for several months is....they way njtransit is run. If we are in the B10, we need to be SO MUCH better than this. And as @bac2therac said, it is not about the $25 per seat, it is about basic respect/communication, and "remembering who your friends are" to me.

I nominate this for the top 5 #RUSCREW of the past 5 years/ current administration... Is there someone who will second my nomination ?
Thank you in advance.

Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT