ADVERTISEMENT

Seat Cushions - ALLOWED or Not???

RUonBrain

All American
Gold Member
Apr 29, 2002
Sounds like there are a few things RU can get cleaned up before the next game, including this one.

The seat cushion problems people were forced to endure last night is a huge clusterf*ck.

What is the official policy?

Can someone who knows Hobbs get this clarified and communicated to all on this board, and ask RU to update the stadium policy webpage?

Good job Upstream with his post below which I stole from the other thread.
This makes it sound like seat cushions are okay.

Re Seat Cushions

Here is what I see on the Rutgers website
http://scarletknights.com/sports/2017/6/11/tickets-bagpolicy-html.aspx

Can fans carry cameras, binoculars, smart phones, tablets, seat cushions, seat backs separately from what they put in a clear bag?

Yes, all these items can be carried into the athletic venue, either on their own or in a clear plastic storage bag. This is not a restriction on items that fans have been able to bring into the athletic venue previously. It is only a restriction on the type of container used to carry the items.

By the way, will be at the game next Saturday with my 92 year old dad.

Is RU telling me I can't bring in my 23 year old STS seat cushions? (I'm with you, GoodOl'Rutgers).

WTF?

Reactions: RU22
Exactly RUonBrain. This is a big communication screw up. And there is nothing wrong with the old handy and very good STS cushions much less others with back rests. It's an embarassment to see what apparently happened to some people. They better start making some provisions for situations where people have to leave things at the gates unexpectedly and can retrieve them later. Can you imagine being a Washington or visiting team person and having no idea regarding the apparently changed seat cushion policy and you come to the entrance. Why should anyone have to give it up and with probably no apparent way to get it back. Try going back to your car if you are in the outer lots, the RAC or visitor area. Ridiculous!!

Who actually is responsible for this area? I would imagine Hobbs has ultimate say but which RU employee oversees this? Id be quite pissed off to find out the published rules are not followed.

Could careless now. I already had to throw my purchased in the stadium official RU Screw seat cushions in the garbage this game. I will never purchase another piece of apparel in that stadium again. I will also try to sneak in as many consumable's as I can. As I will attempt to limit my purchases to none in that stadium.

The buck with this operation stops with this guy:

http://scarletknights.com/staff.aspx?staff=3

Just sent "that guy" the following email.
I'll let you know what he says if he replies.

Hello Matthew,

I was not at the game last night, but will be there next Saturday with my 92 year old father.

I have read a lot of complaints from fans on the Rutgers Rivals message board saying they were told at the gate that they could not bring their seat cushions into the stadium.

The RU athletics website says seat cushions and seat backs are allowed.

Here is what I see on the Rutgers website:

http://scarletknights.com/sports/2017/6/11/tickets-bagpolicy-html.aspx

"Can fans carry cameras, binoculars, smart phones, tablets, seat cushions, seat backs separately from what they put in a clear bag?

Yes, all these items can be carried into the athletic venue, either on their own or in a clear plastic storage bag. This is not a restriction on items that fans have been able to bring into the athletic venue previously. It is only a restriction on the type of container used to carry the items."

What is the official policy, and why were some fans allowed to bring them in to the stadium last night, and others were forced to throw them in the trash? (Fans cannot be expected to return them to their car parked at the RAC).

Can I bring in seat cushions for my 92 year old father who suffers from a bad back?

I hope this was a terrible misunderstanding and bad communication with the staff at the gates, and fans will be allowed to continue bringing in their seat cushions like we have done since I was a freshman at RU in 1986.

Thank you for your anticipated reply and investigation into this matter.

Sincerely,
(me)

Reactions: Local Shill
Kolesar, sorry to hear your situation and is why I posted what I did. I'll be more vocal and call it what it is......total bullshit and send a bill to the Athketic Department especially if tbey were putchased at a Rutgers concession or even had at least a Rutgers logo on them.

Proof may be hard to show unless you charged them and can come up with something but it's well worth the effort even without any proof. If enough fans send Hobbs a note it may help to clean up this mess. Again this is the kind of stuff that drives fans away.

Reactions: koleszar
Last edited:
Reactions: Fatcobra55 and RU22
We need an official answer on this ASAP to plan for next week or to decide what to do with the season ticket moneys and athletic donations I won't have to allocate for Rutgers next season. (been going to games for 38 years.. perhaps I have seen enough).

Could careless now. I already had to throw my purchased in the stadium official RU Screw seat cushions in the garbage this game. I will never purchase another piece of apparel in that stadium again. I will also try to sneak in as many consumable's as I can. As I will attempt to limit my purchases to none in that stadium.

I am with you brother. The RU Screw is getting ridiculous.

Reactions: koleszar and RU22
I'm going to look at the official policy and if small stadium chairs are allowed I will copy and bring it next game. Total BS

So I "won" a drawstring back from one of the vendors at the tailgate show. No one said I would not be able to bring it into the stadium. When I got to the gate the "security" person tells me I can't bring it in. Seriously. Kickoff is about to start. Do I walk all the way back to the black lot to put my empty recently won, bag? Why should I have to? Thank heavens my wife and I upgraded our seats to have stadium seats so we did not have to bring our own and have to throw them out too

So I "won" a drawstring back from one of the vendors at the tailgate show. No one said I would not be able to bring it into the stadium.

Drawstring backpacks are at least crumbly enough to stuff in a pocket. It'll be easier when it's colder and almost everyone is wearing a thicker coat.

Drawstring backpacks are at least crumbly enough to stuff in a pocket. It'll be easier when it's colder and almost everyone is wearing a thicker coat.
True, my point was the "security" person could easily see I was not "smuggling anything in. Just bringing into the stadium what I had won at the sponsered tailgate show. Made no sense at all

as of now the plan is to smuggle in these $12 inflatable seat cushions.. on amazon of course.. but I'd hope to not have to go that far to buy these as I am quite fond of the STS cushions.

41SZ%2B7Kc1gL.jpg

61V%2BYRfjmcL.jpg

Reactions: RU22 and RU62
as of now the plan is to smuggle in these $12 inflatable seat cushions.. on amazon of course.. but I'd hope to not have to go that far to buy these as I am quite fond of the STS cushions.

41SZ%2B7Kc1gL.jpg

61V%2BYRfjmcL.jpg
The fact that they even make something called a pocket seat indicates that a lot of stadiums have policies prohibiting fans bringing in cushions or seatbacks.

However, Rutgers doesn't actually have the policy. The Rutgers stadium policies say cushions and seatbacks are allowed.

We park next to the stadium in scarlet. An elderly man came up to me bitching about not being able to bring his seat into the stadium. He asked if he could slide it under the back of our rv. I said of course. He came back about 10 minutes later and said they would let him take it into the stadium? I figured I was going to end up with a stadium seat, darn!

The fact that they even make something called a pocket seat indicates that a lot of stadiums have policies prohibiting fans bringing in cushions or seatbacks.
Or people just don't want to carry a big piece of rectangle foam around with them. Kind of like why they made foldable umbrellas. :)

Reactions: LadyRU09
Just got an e-mail from the jackass in charge. Not a care in the world that people had to throw sh*t out or were turned away because of his incompetence. They're not going to own up to their screw up.

Good Morning,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience on Friday for you.

We will be allowing seat cushions in for our games.

Thanks for the E-mail and enjoy your holiday weekend.

Matt

Matt Colagiovanni
Rutgers University Athletics
Senior Associate Athletic Director
Facilities, Events, and Operations
Phone: 732-445-4223

Me and my 5 guests all brought in STS seat cushions with no issue,but one women had to take her pocketbook back to my car.

Me and my 5 guests all brought in STS seat cushions with no issue,but one women had to take her pocketbook back to my car.
Congratulations you made it through.

We entered through the North gate. And had to throw our seat cushions we purchased in the stadium in the garbage as did a lot of other folks. Apparently our Gate guards/police officers either didn't get the word or are complete imbeciles and took it upon themselves to make everyone throw them out.

Reactions: Local Shill
Congratulations you made it through.

We entered through the North gate. And had to throw our seat cushions we purchased in the stadium in the garbage as did a lot of other folks. Apparently our Gate guards/police officers either didn't get the word or are complete imbeciles and took it upon themselves to make everyone throw them out.

I am sorry for you...that sucks and Rutgers was wrong.

That said, you have been one angry dude towards Rutgers recently. I know this didn't help, but chill a bit. You seem to have an axe to grind in a serious way on so many things

Feel free to tell me to go eff myself...just making an honest observation.

I am sorry for you...that sucks and Rutgers was wrong.

That said, you have been one angry dude towards Rutgers recently. I know this didn't help, but chill a bit. You seem to have an axe to grind in a serious way on so many things

Feel free to tell me to go eff myself...just making an honest observation.
Your right, this one just sent me over the edge. I'll try and tone it down.

After last game I decided that my mom has to use a walker to get to and fro the stadium and we will be switching out our tickets to handicap seating. I already called the ticket office and was told walkers are allowed in the stadium as long as u switch out tickets. I can't wait to see the situation when we approach the gate Saturday because it has 2 nondetachable pockets on it.

Reactions: RU22 and TB4RU
Your right, this one just sent me over the edge. I'll try and tone it down.

In fairness, i would have been upset also.

I bet if you send a nice letter to the athletic department they will reimburse you for the seat cushions that you had to throw out due to their mistake.

Go RU!!

In fairness, i would have been upset also.

I bet if you send a nice letter to the athletic department they will reimburse you for the seat cushions that you had to throw out due to their mistake.

Go RU!!
It is a little funny is an Irish Black Humor kinda way.. that NOW you know you can bring in the cushions you threw out last Friday.

After last game I decided that my mom has to use a walker to get to and fro the stadium and we will be switching out our tickets to handicap seating. I already called the ticket office and was told walkers are allowed in the stadium as long as u switch out tickets. I can't wait to see the situation when we approach the gate Saturday because it has 2 nondetachable pockets on it.

Email the ticket office or your rep. Get the answer in writing. Print the email. Bring it with you.

My 2 cents.

It is a little funny is an Irish Black Humor kinda way.. that NOW you know you can bring in the cushions you threw out last Friday.
Yea pretty much feels like I'm in a real life version of a Benny Hill or Monty Python skit right now. At least we got clarification on the issue now.

I would suggest the same thing
Wonder what they did with all of the items that were unfortunately and mistakenly put in the garbage. Is it possible there was so much that maybe someone with some smarts put them in lost and found. This certainly was not a single lost item.

I would suggest the same thing
Wonder what they did with all of the items that were unfortunately and mistakenly put in the garbage. Is it possible there was so much that maybe someone with some smarts put them in lost and found. This certainly was not a single lost item.
My wife told me when she went to put it in the garbage can they were full and just laid it on the side. Somebody either made off with a helluva lot of seat cushions or they're in a landfill now. Because when we came out there was nothing there. Wouldn't be surprised to see an enterprising gentleman or women selling way below cost seat cushions at the next game. You might want to hit up the North gate next game.:)

Last edited:
I was allowed to bring my seat cushions in but was told they wouldn't be allowed next week. Sounds like they had a change of heart on that.

Just got an e-mail from the jackass in charge. Not a care in the world that people had to throw sh*t out or were turned away because of his incompetence. They're not going to own up to their screw up.

Good Morning,

Matt

Matt Colagiovanni

Email him back and ask what is the procedure for restitution for those that had to throw out perfectly good cushions.

Good Morning,

Matt

Matt Colagiovanni

This is great news.

(Too bad they didn't get it right the 1st time.)

Hopefully RU will get things right with future problems if enough of us complain.
Good job, people!

Reactions: RU22 and RU62
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT