ADVERTISEMENT

Seattle! Trip and Game Thoughts

PatrickRU92

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
Time for another road game wrap-up which I use most of the time as catharsis following a loss lol. Damn the road trips lately have featured some really rotten football!! We've been to Seattle a few times already but we love the city so wanted to go back

We left last Sunday. No-- not for Seattle but the wife and I are hikers so we went to Montana (neither of us had been there) to do some hiking in Glacier National Park. If you like hiking check this park out it's gorgeous. We hiked our a$$es off and were pretty damn tired, spent a day doing some (non-scary) white water rafting too. Anyhow great place--recommended!

So Thursday we flew from Kalispell, MT to Seattle. This is just an awesome city--it's old and new and varied with many different little sections all of which have a different feel.

Checked in at Hotel 1000 (GREAT hotel in downtown) and spent some time over at the Pike Place Market which is always a good time. Met up with RU friends, had some dinner at the Tap House Grille (thanks for the recommendation by dermauroj). Then we had had an interesting time in Belltown, went to a bar and my friend know of a little speak-easy (who even know they existed anymore?) it was very prohibition-ish but cool. But I'm a light weight and was tired so after then we just went to bed

Friday spent exploring the city, Friday night went with our friends to another awesome area called Ballard which is old and gentrified with cool bars/restaurants. Drank a little first then went to a BBQ restaurant (KIckin' Boots Whiskey KItchen )with some very killer brisket. We went after that to the Queen Anne Beer Hall (in Queen Anne area) --very cool old clothing factory that was converted to a German style place, met with some RU fans had some real legit German beer and pretzels

Not much time to screw around on Sat AM, got a quick room service breakfast and headed over to Husky Stadium via a VERY quick light rail. Interestingly we paid for our ticket but we could have just as easily not paid--no one ever looked at it, and there was no check point to show it (good luck doing that in NYC). The light rail drops you off literally right in front of the stadium.

We've been to a lot of road games--gotta say Husky Stadium may be the awesomest college one we've been too. It's REALLY big yet very compact. I saw this stadium years ago right before the renovation and they did an amazing job with it. Its clean, loud, comfortable. We watched our guys warm up and got really pumped for the game--yeah that lasted long lol.

After the game we went back toward Pike Place, had food at a great place and wanted to try the Pie Bar. Little bar that makes pie--weird combo but was totally awesome. Conked out after that and here I am now waiting to go to the airport to go home

As for the game. Well, BLECH. I've read the board and it's all been covered but my quick thoughts

1) We are totally outmanned. I hate it but we are.

2) I am not a Laviano hater by any means. I don't care about the demeanor, or last years "booing" incident fallout or whatever. What I do care about is playing well. Look the guy is tough, he's just not a good QB. Not his fault he's the best on the roster but apparently he is. Until we get IMPACT from this IMPACT position, we aren't going anywhere. Looks like we are a ways away from that dammit

3) DL played well against the run

4) Secondary in the first quarter was a disaster, but did better after that

5) Special teams were brutal. Punting was decent but thats where it stops. UW's kicker took Grant totally out of the game by putting it through the endzone almost every time. Why the frack is it so hard for us to find someone to do that??? Damn that little punk who flipped us off for the cult. I hope he gets in a big spot sometime and fails (sorry if that makes me a bad person, I'll live with myself though)

6) My preseason prediction was either 4 or 5 wins, hoping we can reach that former.

Hey it's just one game, things can get better. If sports was too predictable none of us would watch. Damn glad that we have Howard next week though

Great writeup ! I love hearing about Away City game experiences !

PS- I'm not sure if you noticed, but Laviano took a very wicked hit early in the game, causing him to fumble, I thought he'd go out of the game , maybe not return, but he did not, in my opinion it affected him, as he seemed reluctant to run with the ball after that, and seemed a tiny bit slow making decisions.

Thanks, Patrick. Seattle sounds great.
I watched the game here in NJ with some pals who are not RU fans, know a crapload about the game, and did well by taking Washington and laying the points. They had pretty much expected a one-sided game. And they all thought that no one should draw conclusions about the coaching staff off of one game on the road vs. a ranked team with a quality quarterback
Except maybe the special teams coach.

Our trip was great as well except for the game of course.
Stayed a few nights on the San Juan Islands and saw a humback whale upclose on a Charter Boat.
The fans in the Husky Stadium were generally very friendly and quite a few of them welcomed us to Seattle.
The Stadium was beautiful and had an NFL feel to it.
Crowd was about only about 40,000 according to one of the Ushers we talked to.

My first time to Seattle and thoroughly enjoyed it. Their practice field is converted to a fan fest/ beer garden type set-up for pregame and halftime. Exit and re-entry permitted. It make for a fun experience despite the rainy morning as there was a large tent with TV's where you could stay dry and watch some of the other games.

After a road/hiking trip through Sequoia and Yosmeite, we visited my friend's plum farm on Vashon Island and stayed there a few days, since we've been to Seattle a few times now. Just beautiful country out here on the west coast. On the way to the stadium, some band parents apologetically asked us where Rutgers was and then proceed to take us a tour of their gorgeous campus. Was also really impressed with their athletic facilities. Dang they looked nice and were thoughtfully laid out. Great time out here overall.

Good review. And the light rail in New Jersey works the same way. Most times there are no people to check fares. However it's a steep ticket if you get caught.

Time for another road game wrap-up which I use most of the time as catharsis following a loss lol. Damn the road trips lately have featured some really rotten football!! We've been to Seattle a few times already but we love the city so wanted to go back

We left last Sunday. No-- not for Seattle but the wife and I are hikers so we went to Montana (neither of us had been there) to do some hiking in Glacier National Park. If you like hiking check this park out it's gorgeous. We hiked our a$$es off and were pretty damn tired, spent a day doing some (non-scary) white water rafting too. Anyhow great place--recommended!

So Thursday we flew from Kalispell, MT to Seattle. This is just an awesome city--it's old and new and varied with many different little sections all of which have a different feel.

Checked in at Hotel 1000 (GREAT hotel in downtown) and spent some time over at the Pike Place Market which is always a good time. Met up with RU friends, had some dinner at the Tap House Grille (thanks for the recommendation by dermauroj). Then we had had an interesting time in Belltown, went to a bar and my friend know of a little speak-easy (who even know they existed anymore?) it was very prohibition-ish but cool. But I'm a light weight and was tired so after then we just went to bed

Friday spent exploring the city, Friday night went with our friends to another awesome area called Ballard which is old and gentrified with cool bars/restaurants. Drank a little first then went to a BBQ restaurant (KIckin' Boots Whiskey KItchen )with some very killer brisket. We went after that to the Queen Anne Beer Hall (in Queen Anne area) --very cool old clothing factory that was converted to a German style place, met with some RU fans had some real legit German beer and pretzels

Not much time to screw around on Sat AM, got a quick room service breakfast and headed over to Husky Stadium via a VERY quick light rail. Interestingly we paid for our ticket but we could have just as easily not paid--no one ever looked at it, and there was no check point to show it (good luck doing that in NYC). The light rail drops you off literally right in front of the stadium.

We've been to a lot of road games--gotta say Husky Stadium may be the awesomest college one we've been too. It's REALLY big yet very compact. I saw this stadium years ago right before the renovation and they did an amazing job with it. Its clean, loud, comfortable. We watched our guys warm up and got really pumped for the game--yeah that lasted long lol.

After the game we went back toward Pike Place, had food at a great place and wanted to try the Pie Bar. Little bar that makes pie--weird combo but was totally awesome. Conked out after that and here I am now waiting to go to the airport to go home

As for the game. Well, BLECH. I've read the board and it's all been covered but my quick thoughts

2) I am not a Laviano hater by any means. I don't care about the demeanor, or last years "booing" incident fallout or whatever. What I do care about is playing well. Look the guy is tough, he's just not a good QB. Not his fault he's the best on the roster but apparently he is. Until we get IMPACT from this IMPACT position, we aren't going anywhere. Looks like we are a ways away from that dammit

5) Special teams were brutal. Punting was decent but thats where it stops. UW's kicker took Grant totally out of the game by putting it through the endzone almost every time. Why the frack is it so hard for us to find someone to do that??? Damn that little punk who flipped us off for the cult. I hope he gets in a big spot sometime and fails (sorry if that makes me a bad person, I'll live with myself though)

6) My preseason prediction was either 4 or 5 wins, hoping we can reach that former.

Hey it's just one game, things can get better. If sports was too predictable none of us would watch. Damn glad that we have Howard next week though
Hey Patrick - I want your life. :)

i just got back from Washington. Fun to hike there as the scenery is beautiful. Bought some nice wine at Chateau St.Michelle. Place was packed. Took the ferry the one day and that was great. Went to Oregon for a few days and liked that. A good trip. I said this elsewhere, Washington is good. Fast on defense and tackle well. I think only Ohio State on schedule is better. . Also went to Mount Hood which was very nice.

Last edited:
Fantastic read, Patrick! Gotta agree about Glacier National Park. Was out there 4 weeks ago and it is absolutely breathtaking!! Did some hiking there as well, enjoyed a boat ride on St. Mary Lake and drove the Going-to-the-Sun Road over Logan Pass to Lake McDonald and the lodge. Was there for three days but wished we had more time.

I ride from/to Liberty Park to Newport daily and I haven't been checked once
I am Hoboken to Newport and usually see the enforcement team check tickets once a month at the most. I think they check more during non-rush hours.

Good post. We're still in Seattle enjoying the sites and some great weather. I too loved Husky Stadium. I've been to Seattle several times, but never toured UW campus. It's by far one of the most beautiful college campuses I've ever been to, and I've seen MANY! Wide open spaces, beautifully landscaped, surrounded by a great bike trail with handsome, old stone buildings everywhere.

Great report and you had a nice trip, considering.
You brought up a good point. What we need at RU is light rail service around the parking lots. Plenty of room to work with as long as they drop you off at the stadium. Probably in the plans already.

Stayed in Bellevue and had some nice interaction with some of the Husky faithful. Nice folks. Turn out at the Alumni tailgate was good, made some new friends. Pat Hobbs did a good job pumping up the crowd. The air went out of that balloon after 2 minutes at the game. UW campus is very pretty and they did a nice job renovating the stadium. All seats had backs and other amenities were good. Weather cleared up after morning rain so the drive back to Portland was ok, except for a few bad traffic spots. This trip we didn't do much of the Seattle thing because we're there fairly often and too old for the club/bar scene.

Ditto on Glacier NP. Did that 2 years ago. My favorite of all the national parks.

Great report and you had a nice trip, considering.
You brought up a good point. What we need at RU is light rail service around the parking lots. Plenty of room to work with as long as they drop you off at the stadium. Probably in the plans already.
We could call it " Knightinrail " service and it would be a great catch phrase.

Echo the sentiments on really beautiful stadium, nice campus, friendly fan base.

My first time to the University District of Seattle. Rather quiet as classes were not in session. Had its fair share of folks "living rough" on the street. Most of them young.

You got the occasional whiff of marijuana from passerby. But It did not seem that much more noticeable than my previous trips to Seattle pre-legalization.

Weather was what I'd expect for Seattle, both rain and sun. Holding off for the game proper worked.

One odd thing was in getting the light rail from the airport to the University, which was otherwise quite convenient, there were long lines for the ticket vending machines, about 20 deep for each of the machines. I've been on a number of systems and can't recall having to wait that long to get a ticket?

Patrick, Have to agree on Glacier Park - I love that place! If you have time, it's also nice to visit the Canadian counterpart to Glacier - Waterton Lakes. You can take a boat ride on the lake from the Canadian side to the American side, and get your passport stamped by the ranger at the Goat Haunt ranger station.

I was just in Montana the week before last for a cousin's wedding, and was disappointed that I didn't have time to make it to Glacier. I did get a trip to the "Gates of the Mountains" on the Missouri river, which is the same path Lewis and Clark took for the exploration of the Louisiana Purchase...

Unfortunately, also have to agree on the game, Blech.

Reactions: PatrickRU92
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT