ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-OT: Illinois new mascot

mikemarc1

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2005
The Fighting Illini are voting for a new mascot this week...

It’s an otter named Alma. Alma Otter.

Worst mascot ever??

It was only a matter of time.

Next on the list:

Purdue Boilermakers...promotes drinking, it’s gotta go.

Michigan State Spartans...promotes violence, it’s gotta go.

Rutgers Scarlet Knights...see above. And let’s throw in the “crusades” too since Knights is in there, it’s gotta go.

Indiana Hoosiers...there has to be some sort of bad connotation with that name. We haven’t found it yet, but we will, so it’s gotta go.

no, the worst mascot ever is the nittnay lion. that thing looks like something some creepy pedophile would throw on at Halloween and drive around in his white windowless van that says "free candy" on the side.

Nittany-Lion-001.jpg

Otter should wear a top hat.. like Lincoln.. and many of them were made from otter skin.. go totally creepy
maxresdefault.jpg

no, the worst mascot ever is the nittnay lion. that thing looks like something some creepy pedophile would throw on at Halloween and drive around in his white windowless van that says "free candy" on the side.

Nittany-Lion-001.jpg
That's called delivering a consistent message. If you were part of the cult, you would understand.

Nittany-Lion-001.jpg

I've always felt that lion costume resembled the man in the bear suit at the top of the stairs in kubrick's the shining.

Agreed, creepy as hell!

Reactions: Knight Shift

Nittany-Lion-001.jpg

Damn.

Reactions: MrsScrew
Worst Mascot: Whatever Cali College has the stupid tree running around.
Best. Banana Slugs!

6357948909738472001886213910_SantaCruz_Mascot.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mdh2003
how much time until all teams names on all sports that reference native american's are changed

Nittany-Lion-001.jpg

The otter is worse, because Illinois isn't known as the Fightin' Otters.

Emphasis on 'was' apparently. Chief Illiniwek as the official mascot was discontinued in 2007.
I believe the NCAA twisted their arm, hard, to get them to drop it.
That was a huge tradition at Illinois........the fans were pissed when they lost him to the PC crowd. Happened maybe 10-15 years ago.
They still have someone who dresses up as him, but it's done privately and the school won't acknowledge it.

I wonder if they did a vote off like South Park did when they dropped their Cow mascot to appease PETA:

4471547-south_park_giant-douche-and-turd-sandwich.jpg

Reactions: rurichdog
I always thought the St.John's Red man was the stupidest I ever saw. The Otter just doesn't look like an Otter.

Always thought the SHU could have a better Pirate. Always wonder how SHU got away with being the Pirates anyway.

Are you "honoring" native Americans if they believe it is a degrading stereotype?

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/09/26/university-of-illinois-chief-illiniwek/
The Seminoles don't seem to have any objections to FSU using that SYMBOL as a mascot. Guess the PC view of what affects one, differs from tribe to tribe.
In that vein, I want Notre Dame to change their mascot, I find that degrading.
Positively Degrading to Leprechauns(SP)

Reactions: redking
In that vein, I want Notre Dame to change their mascot, I find that degrading.

No doubt. I struggle to think any self-respecting Irish would feel good about being represented by an effeminate leprechaun prancing around the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT