ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-OT: Illinois new mascot

The Seminoles don't seem to have any objections to FSU using that SYMBOL as a mascot. Guess the PC view of what affects one, differs from tribe to tribe.
Positively Degrading to Leprechauns(SP)

No, the difference is that Florida State works with the Seminole tribe.

Educate yourself here.

Reactions: redking
Is it my imagination or did Memorial Stadium used to have the feather headdress motif painted on the fieldhouse by one endzone?

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
No doubt. I struggle to think any self-respecting Irish would feel good about being represented by an effeminate leprechaun prancing around the field.

...picking a fight with his fists raised. Shit I never noticed he's balding too.

irish.jpg

Reactions: RUSK97
no, the worst mascot ever is the nittnay lion. that thing looks like something some creepy pedophile would throw on at Halloween and drive around in his white windowless van that says "free candy" on the side.

Nittany-Lion-001.jpg
Leftover costume from March of the Wooden Soldiers. One of the trogs.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrsScrew
UND played in Ireland and they loved it.

And I get that because we're non-hysterical non SJW types but the Fightin Irish mascot pictured above is clearly insulting. Where it seems to me many of the removed mascots weren't racist on their faces.

No doubt. I struggle to think any self-respecting Irish would feel good about being represented by an effeminate leprechaun prancing around the field.
Especially one who appears to know nothing about MMA fighting techniques:

indiana-notre-dame-leprechaun-logo.jpg

Plus he should be holding a pint in one hand!

The Seminoles don't seem to have any objections to FSU using that SYMBOL as a mascot. Guess the PC view of what affects one, differs from tribe to tribe.
Positively Degrading to Leprechauns(SP)

BTW: This isn't a "PC" issue. EA Sports recently had to shut down their college sports franchise because of lawsuits stemming from using college athlete's likeness without compensation / permission. Keep in mind that "likeness" was could be as vague as matching position, uniform number, height, and weight. How is that different than a college using a tribe name / likeness as a mascot without their permission?

They should change their name to

The Illinois hideous shade of orange (though ALL shades or orange are hideous)

It was only a matter of time.

Next on the list:

Purdue Boilermakers...promotes drinking, it’s gotta go.

Michigan State Spartans...promotes violence, it’s gotta go.

Rutgers Scarlet Knights...see above. And let’s throw in the “crusades” too since Knights is in there, it’s gotta go.

Indiana Hoosiers...there has to be some sort of bad connotation with that name. We haven’t found it yet, but we will, so it’s gotta go.
You should include the OK. St. Cowboys. I have read where they were mean to the nat
BTW: This isn't a "PC" issue. EA Sports recently had to shut down their college sports franchise because of lawsuits stemming from using college athlete's likeness without compensation / permission. Keep in mind that "likeness" was could be as vague as matching position, uniform number, height, and weight. How is that different than a college using a tribe name / likeness as a mascot without their permission?
SO,PAY THEM .

In that vein, I want Notre Dame to change their mascot, I find that degrading.

How exactly is "Fighting Sioux" offensive and hostile but "Fighting Irish" OK? Compare the dignified Native American head North Dakota had to the leprechaun cavorting on the sidelines and tell me which one is degrading?

Reactions: 1873 and RU-AGK
Yeah I think you should do what the tribe wants. many are happy for the mascots - FSU for example.

The Illini is one example in the other direction, where the closest descendants of the Illiniwek, the Peoria of Oklahoma, passed a resolution in 2000 requesting that the university cease using the mascot. This was at least partly because the costume was actually Sioux, and really had nothing to do with the Illiniwek.

The Illini is one example in the other direction, where the closest descendants of the Illiniwek, the Peoria of Oklahoma, passed a resolution in 2000 requesting that the university cease using the mascot. This was at least partly because the costume was actually Sioux, and really had nothing to do with the Illiniwek.

Well then Illy did the right thing cancelling it.

Right, big difference between the two. The Seminoles still actually inhabit Florida and have a seat at the table in decisions re: Chief Osceola.

The few remants of the Illini confederation were force marched out of Illinois to Oklahoma. The Illini numbers were cut down prior to the deportation by wars with the Sioux nations among others...makes it that much more offensive that Chief Illiniwek wore Sioux regalia.

Wow. This is something silly that a SHU-like school would do, not a B1G program.
Evidently, this is exactly what the alma ott ... uh, mater, of Red Grange and Dick Butkus would do. Maybe things changed there with Jeff George.

Glad to say Seton Hall has no such worries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT