ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question

I didn't know him, we came to Rutgers near the end of his tenure (I did meet him and hear him speak to Cager's Club). But over the course of trying to learn about college sports, which we now follow so passionately, I discovered that there was an "era" where the ex golf coaches and the equivalent became the AD's. With I suppose somewhat low expectations. From what I read, in his early years, he was largely better than his peers, accomplished facilities work, hired good coaches and eventually got Rutgers on track from A10 to Big East. That said, by 1995 when we came aboard, I admit he was an anachronism in the changing of college sports, and should have been gone for a number of years.

So I suppose the question is do you judge him because he stayed too long? That set Rutgers back, as well as poor hires late in his career. Or, looking at him in his heyday - I think that stands up fairly well to his peers in like universities. Strictly based on what I remember reading, I was at Rutgers in the '70's, but didn't follow Rutgers sports until, well, 1995.
He told the Big East we weren’t interested TWICE ! The Somerset Patriots stadium could have been right next to The RAC. He said we weren’t interested ! The Trenton arena could have been on our campus and we would have had a Rutgers hockey program decades ago and AGAIN he said we weren’t interested ! I can’t even think about the guy without getting ticked off at him stealing money through his paycheck FOR DECADES !!!

He told the Big East we weren’t interested TWICE ! The Somerset Patriots stadium could have been right next to The RAC. He said we weren’t interested ! The Trenton arena could have been on our campus and we would have had a Rutgers hockey program decades ago and AGAIN he said we weren’t interested ! I can’t even think about the guy without getting ticked off at him stealing money through his paycheck FOR DECADES !!!

I have said this before, my uncle who was the AD at Georgetown for like 30 years always laughed when the topic of Gruninger came up.

He has no business being in the AD hall of fame

As to our coaching problems, at this point we should just hire the best and brightest NJ HS coach. We have nothing to lose.

I have said this before, my uncle who was the AD at Georgetown for like 30 years always laughed when the topic of Gruninger came up.

He has no business being in the AD hall of fame

As to our coaching problems, at this point we should just hire the best and brightest NJ HS coach. We have nothing to lose.
Family was friends with one of the A10 AD's when I was growing up. His opinion of Gruninger was very similar to your uncle. He would joke that he wouldn't even call his secretary if he needed him. He would call the front desk at Rutgers golf course. No he was no longer the coach at that point.

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
Rutgers is a public taxpayer supported college; therefore, employment contracts should be made available to the public. Instead of all the speculation about the options with CVS we should be able to see those options. If the contract did not provide language protecting RU in the event of a long term disability, then shame on Hobbs and the legal team. It would also be unusual for a company to have a $5 million + liability and not having some type of insurance protection. Typical contract language would say “ if person A is unable to perform their full time duties, RU would pay them their full time salary less any disability payments for 6 months and then 50% of their salary for an additional 18 months “. After which the person would be eligible for Social Security disability. Being on the hook for 5 years of full pay for anyone not working is a major delinquency. At CVS’ age there must also be retirement benefits immediately available to her. Time to move forward. It is what it is.
Some details.

Some details.
Only gives salary , not the nuts and bolts.
Would be nice to find out if CVS could be told she has to move to administration if she wants to stay at Rutgers or she loses her salary for refusing.
All I have heard ( forum and new articles) is that Stringer could move to an administrative position, instead of being HC, during the course of contract with the same salary she makes as HC.
Nothing I found shows if it's Stringer's decision alone or if RU can force the move.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT