ADVERTISEMENT

Shaq Carter Commits!!!!

And Omoruyi is a 4 folks. Our roster will look like this in 2018-19 (barring other moves):

1 - Sanders (I realize it’s unlikely he’ll stay for his senior season), Mensah

2 - Baker, Kiss, Mathis

3 - Thiam, Bullock, Harper

4 - Carter, Omoruyi

5 - Doucoure, Doorson, Johnson

I would go so far as to say that, if Sanders stays, this could be an NCAA tournament team.
Yes, any chance of that depends on Sanders

I am totally rooting for both doorson and onamuyri to make it

Don't get me wrong

In doorson case....he is just coming off so many injuries that it's just unknown what he will give

In Eugene case....it's what we asked Laurent to do in reverse (he went from four to three and could not hack it). We heard how good Laurent looked in the preseason last year and it just didn't translate on the court. Eugene is converting from the three to more inside at the four so it's really unknown how that will go

Hawk

For next year...still only have three bugs

Shaq as a junior
Doucoure and Johnson as Soph

Need a frosh in this class (love to get Washington)

And Dixon in 2019

I agree, but I think Washington is the type of big that is rare, but still raw enough that I'm not quite sure would make sense just yet....

Myles Johnson has some ability and I'm willing to give him time to grow into a role that can contribute this year and see where things go into 2018-19.

Eric Dixon is a horse....if you had a choice of Washington or Dixon, you go for Dixon....he fits this conference and commands a double team if he gets it in the paint....and he spaces out the bigs on ship a little more.

We also have 2 more potential years of Doorson....can he get healthy and make some plays this year or perhaps 2018-19 is the wild card for his 5th year as well.

Options now are there, with Carter in the fold.....top two targets that I'm aware of that were recruited the hardest were Mathis and Carter.

And Omoruyi is a 4 folks. Our roster will look like this in 2018-19 (barring other moves):

1 - Sanders (I realize it’s unlikely he’ll stay for his senior season), Mensah

2 - Baker, Kiss, Mathis

3 - Thiam, Bullock, Harper

4 - Carter, Omoruyi

5 - Doucoure, Doorson, Johnson

I would go so far as to say that, if Sanders stays, this could be an NCAA tournament team.
My gut tells me Sanders will leave, and I don't think Pikiel will be too unhappy about that, so another PG needs to be our next priority IMO.

Just watched the highlight tape, and it looks like he’s got the best post moves that we’ve seen around here since Rashod Kent. Uses both hands well, good finisher, has quick feet, and has good athleticism around the rim.

Can’t tell if he can hit a 12 foot jump shot, but he actually plays a lot like Jameel Warney and Rashod Kent around the rim, except he seems like a legit 6-9 with a long wingspan.

Damn this is a good pick up.

I agree, but I think Washington is the type of big that is rare, but still raw enough that I'm not quite sure would make sense just yet....

Myles Johnson has some ability and I'm willing to give him time to grow into a role that can contribute this year and see where things go into 2018-19.

Eric Dixon is a horse....if you had a choice of Washington or Dixon, you go for Dixon....he fits this conference and commands a double team if he gets it in the paint....and he spaces out the bigs on ship a little more.

We also have 2 more potential years of Doorson....can he get healthy and make some plays this year or perhaps 2018-19 is the wild card for his 5th year as well.

Options now are there, with Carter in the fold.....top two targets that I'm aware of that were recruited the hardest were Mathis and Carter.

Warren Washington reminds me a little bit of Justin Patton a few years ago. He needs to get stronger, but, he has a lot of potential.

The 2019 Class has very good guards we are going after. I’m not saying I wanted to lose Maclung but now some of these kids might see more immediate playing time. Mulcahy is one and there was another kid who visited (forgot his name) who is very highly touted 2019 guard. We should do very well, very well.

Reactions: RUonBrain
The 2019 Class has very good guards we are going after. I’m not saying I wanted to lose Maclung but now some of these kids might see more immediate playing time. Mulcahy is one and there was another kid who visited (forgot his name) who is very highly touted 2019 guard. We should do very well, very well.
Aundre Hyatt was the guy I forgot.

Hyatt, Mulcahy, Battle, Dixon are the early names among about 10-15 others for the 2019 class....we are open for 2 spots in 2019 as it stands right now....a big pick up like Carter definitely helps the front court youth like Johnson and Doucoure and perhaps Doorson is able to get healthy and add some valuable minutes and rebounding/size.

Reactions: biazza38
Hyatt, Mulcahy, Battle, Dixon are the early names among about 10-15 others for the 2019 class....we are open for 2 spots in 2019 as it stands right now....a big pick up like Carter definitely helps the front court youth like Johnson and Doucoure and perhaps Doorson is able to get healthy and add some valuable minutes and rebounding/size.
Hawk, we only have two open spots for 2019? I thought we had at least 3? Btw, I think that’s the year Rutgers will crack the top 25 at some point during the season. We will have players with maturity. Doucoure (junior), Baker (junior), Carter (senior), Mathis (Soph), Johnson (Junior), Kiss (Junior)

Hawk, we only have two open spots for 2019? I thought we had at least 3? Btw, I think that’s the year Rutgers will crack the top 25 at some point during the season. We will have players with maturity. Doucoure (junior), Baker (junior), Carter (senior), Mathis (Soph), Johnson (Junior), Kiss (Junior)

It could be three, we have three juniors this year, Sanders, Doorson and Mensah. It depends if Sanders and Doorson are back for the senior years and if they don't, do we fill their spots this year.

Based on what is known right now, 2018 is full and there would be 3 spots open for 2019.
There has been much speculation that up to 3 additional spots could open for 2018 but that would reduce the 2019 class to 1. With what is left for 2018 and current relationships for 2019, are we better off hoping the roster stays stable through 2018-2019 and have 3 schollies for the 2019 class or try to expand the 2018 class with another 2-3 signees?

The recruiting process is definitely a high speed chess game - one move impacts another - and because all of it impacts not just a recruit - but many many people's lives and futures - and can lead to more interactions down the road - there is more than ample reason to seek to treat people with integrity.... and it certainly appears that Rutgers has been dealing in a straightforward manner.
And - it looks like things have turned out well ...
Without disparaging any recruits - it would seem that if you could go back 72 hours ago and play some sort of 'recruiting game show' where you were told -
"look at the 3 recruits that you have at this moment - and look at the team immediate needs ... and if you could trade the 3-star 6' 2" point guard for 6' 9" power forward Shaq Carter - no hard feelings - no snarky comments - just a simple clap your hands and the change is made - would you make the change?"
... dazzling as Mac McClung appears to be in his highlight videos - Hard to imagine anyone not clapping their hands and grabbing Carter

We have 1 definite 2019 spot when Mensah's eligibility expires.

We have 2 additional spots for Sanders and Doorson that we are scheduled to have - but one or both might become available as 2018 spots.

So, right now, we have 3 scholarships that are scheduled to be available in 2019... but there's a lot of uncertainty around how many will actually be available (may be more or less depending on transfers between now and then).

Let's go, Carter!

I see a little Angel Delgado in him. Not saying he will achieve the same-that would be a huge task. A brusier with a good deal of athleticism, though. His best game is right underneath the basket. And he scores with efficiency.

Incoming tide on the Raritan..

RRRRRR

We have 1 definite 2019 spot when Mensah's eligibility expires.

We have 2 additional spots for Sanders and Doorson that we are scheduled to have - but one or both might become available as 2018 spots.

So, right now, we have 3 scholarships that are scheduled to be available in 2019... but there's a lot of uncertainty around how many will actually be available (may be more or less depending on transfers between now and then).

With the inroads Pike has seemingly made in the 2019 recruiting class, I don't think I would want him to utilize two more ships for 2018 if both Sanders and Doorson left after this year. Maybe use one, but not both.

With the inroads Pike has seemingly made in the 2019 recruiting class, I don't think I would want him to utilize two more ships for 2018 if both Sanders and Doorson left after this year. Maybe use one, but not both.

True - no idea if any will be used in 2018, but they may become available.

There may be an opportunity for a loaner 5th year transfer for a year, too, who might provide some immediate value but not impact the 2019 recruiting class.

Right now, though, we know there will be 1 available for 2019... and I'd imagine it's a fair expectation that there would be at least 2. There may be 3 or 4, too, depending on transfers/departures.

Of the players talked about; it seems like Mulcahy might be the closest to commiting because we have been on him for a while; much like Mathis and we need another guard. Dixon has been here 3 times but visited Maryland like 5-6 times so who knows with him. Battle would be great but I would also love Hyatt and who knows who comes into the picture.

Sanders is always a wildcard and I’m sure he wants to leave as soon as he can. It’s just a matter of playing basketball rather than going to school and I understand that college was just a way to get there. There’s no harm in that at all. It’s just the minor leagues for pro ball whether it be the NBA or overseas. I think if he does come back, it will clearly be the best team we’ve fielded since he came and the kind of team he was hoping to play on when he decided on Rutgers. If Doorsan does come back for 2018, it’s all good. If he doesn’t, I wouldn’t waste that ship on anyone just to get a body unless it was a 5th year senior like a Getty’s situation.

Dixon, Battle, Mulcahy and Hyatt for 2019 if that works out. Program completely rebuilt,

Hawk

As of right now, we have three for the class of 2019...as sanders, mensah and doorson are seniors

@Russ Wood Hey Russ, I know you don't usually follow Jucos, but, since he is a Florida guy, do you have any insights or opinions on Shaq Carter as a player and how he can help Rutgers in the B1G?

I am totally rooting for both doorson and onamuyri to make it

Don't get me wrong

In doorson case....he is just coming off so many injuries that it's just unknown what he will give

In Eugene case....it's what we asked Laurent to do in reverse (he went from four to three and could not hack it). We heard how good Laurent looked in the preseason last year and it just didn't translate on the court. Eugene is converting from the three to more inside at the four so it's really unknown how that will go

I do not remember Laurent getting nearly this much attention, if any at all. Eugene's game was more suited to be near the basket anyways.

But wasn't Laurent brought in to play the three, and then had to shift down into the four as a freshman because we had no bigs? He was playing small ball against bigger but slower defenders at the four, then once he went back to his more natural position against wing defenders, he didn't do as well.

Omoruyi played a fair amount at the four last year already. I don't think moving more into the four this year will be as big a transition as you think.

@Russ Wood Hey Russ, I know you don't usually follow Jucos, but, since he is a Florida guy, do you have any insights or opinions on Shaq Carter as a player and how he can help Rutgers in the B1G?
I vaguely remember him as a lean athletic forward at Zion Lutheran School. He was in the class of 2016 and the last time I saw him was either September 2015 or 2014 so it was awhile ago. I remember his high school coach thought the kid had a chance to be a high major prospect but admitted that he wasn't taking things seriously in the classroom and he was working with the kid on that.

If memory serves me correctly he was not eligible to play in his senior year until January. Hopefully he's got his head on straight and terms of getting things done on and off the court.

But wasn't Laurent brought in to play the three, and then had to shift down into the four as a freshman because we had no bigs? He was playing small ball against bigger but slower defenders at the four, then once he went back to his more natural position against wing defenders, he didn't do as well.

Omoruyi played a fair amount at the four last year already. I don't think moving more into the four this year will be as big a transition as you think.
Laurent is a small forward without a consistent jump shot. Something I pointed out on this very Message Board back when Rutgers was recruiting him. In high school he played power forward out of necessity during the travel season he played small forward and was good in transition but struggled in half court.

At Rutgers they had to use him at Power Forward because all the injuries hopefully things work out for Jonathan at Massachusetts.

ADVERTISEMENT