ADVERTISEMENT

slightly OT: Nebraska Football Spring Game

Pretty sure B1G network is covering out "Friday Night Lights" spring game.

Originally posted by Knight Shift:
I see BTN covered Maryland's game, but no coverage or Rutgers?

Not much else to do in Nebraska. The U of Nebraska has a Sports Monopoly in the great state of Nebraska.

Originally posted by RC1978:
Pretty sure B1G network is covering out "Friday Night Lights" spring game.

The BTN coverage was the reason that the game was moved to a Friday night.

That's a mind-boggling attendance figure when you consider the whole state only has a population of 1.9. Wow, talk about supporting the team !

And the Nebraska Huskers claim they have 190,000 living alumni...Rutgers doubles that figure easily and we have problems...

Originally posted by PaKnight:

The RU game is in two weeks.
This. The spring game is the last scrimmage. The scrimmages every weekend before that will not be on tv. They arent on tv for any teams.

If you live in Nebraska, how close are you to a professional team in any major sport?
If you live in New Jersey you are closer to a dozen professional teams than any Nebraskan is to their closest.
So people growing up here hear about and see items about those teams all the time.
And since the TV stations are from NYC and Philly the problem is compounded.
A sports report in Nebraska often leads with a score from a Husker game
and I'm not just talking football.

I actually saw a piece of this yesterday. I was on the treadmill and caught some it. It was a beautiful day there and as was mentioned ..Nebraska football is the thing in that state. The crowd was enormous.

Their support level is based on several factors....1) winning tradition , 2) nothing else to do in the state, and 3) homogenous population of like-minded people. The northeast is just so diverse with not only different cultures but also diversity of interests.

One of the main reasons why Nebraska's Spring Game draws such a huge crowd is that for many Husker fans (especially families)...that is the only game they ever get to go to...as tix to Nebraska regular season games are many times hard to get...as their sellout streak started in 1962

Nebraska Spring Game Crowd 2015

CCVTDr4UEAAxT1x.jpg

Forget everything else. They absolutely love their team...And they have fans coming in from western Iowa and South Dakota .A major event out there.. Good for them.....

Originally posted by Abro1975:
Not much else to do in Nebraska. The U of Nebraska has a Sports Monopoly in the great state of Nebraska.
I know there is not a lot to do in Nebraska, but that still is amazing. How many other programs in states where there is not a lot to do draws like that for a scrimmage? I don't know why people can't just say it's great rather then try to rationalize why it's not that big a deal.

Originally posted by motorb54:

If you live in Nebraska, how close are you to a professional team in any major sport?
If you live in New Jersey you are closer to a dozen professional teams than any Nebraskan is to their closest.
So people growing up here hear about and see items about those teams all the time.
And since the TV stations are from NYC and Philly the problem is compounded.
A sports report in Nebraska often leads with a score from a Husker game
and I'm not just talking football.
this

I would compare the spring game over there to the NJ pilgrimage to the shore on Memorial Day weekend

Originally posted by FELONIOUSMONK:

Forget everything else. They absolutely love their team...And they have fans coming in from western Iowa and South Dakota .A major event out there.. Good for them.....
They come from Kansas, Missouri, CALIFORNIA, TEXAS, ALASKA and even Hawaii for home games.

One of the coolest things about my visit to Lincoln for a game was seeing all the booster clubs from out-of-state that were flying inside and outside the stadium.

Hard to find any more loyal fanbase in the world than Husker fans...as they will give up almost anything to go see their team play...REGARDLESS where they call home.

I can't understand why some Rutgers fans keep making lame excuses for poor attendance at sporting events like there is so much to do in NJ versus other states.The reality is other states have a real attachment with their state university and that clearly isn't the case in NJ.

Originally posted by RU-JMM78:

I can't understand why some Rutgers fans keep making lame excuses for poor attendance at sporting events like there is so much to do in NJ versus other states.The reality is other states have a real attachment with their state university and that clearly isn't the case in NJ.
The semi-lecture post.

I figured this would have occured much sooner in this thread.

The osu spring game,e is only $5 and there is a lax game before hand to boot - Not very often you get to see to sporting events for only five dollars.

Mr.Screw and I went to the RU-NU game in October. We learned the following:

the closest thing to a professional team they have are the KC Royals (who happened to be in the World Series while we were there)People travel for miles...and I mean miles to get there. We met more than one person who travels 250 miles IN ONE DIRECTION to get to every home game. THAT'S dedication people.
"Huskers" is everywhere....in the hotels, in the bars, in the stores, in the bathrooms..EVERYWHERE.
Huskers stadium becomes the 3rd largest city in Nebraska on game day after Omaha and Lincoln itself. Think about that for a moment...the stadium holds more people on game day than everywhere else in Nebraska except for Lincoln and Omaha.
They take Huskers football ...and every other sport NU plays VERY VERY seriously.

Originally posted by MrsScrew:

the closest thing to a professional team they have are the KC Royals (who happened to be in the World Series while we were there)People travel for miles...and I mean miles to get there. We met more than one person who travels 250 miles IN ONE DIRECTION to get to every home game. THAT'S dedication people.
"Huskers" is everywhere....in the hotels, in the bars, in the stores, in the bathrooms..EVERYWHERE.
Huskers stadium becomes the 3rd largest city in Nebraska on game day after Omaha and Lincoln itself. Think about that for a moment...the stadium holds more people on game day than everywhere else in Nebraska except for Lincoln and Omaha.
They take Huskers football ...and every other sport NU plays VERY VERY seriously.
Both Des Moines, Iowa and Kansas City, MO are within 3 hours of Lincoln.

Nebraska Basketball finished 12th in the Big Ten...but they were 3rd in Big Ten Attendance (15,569 per game).

Believe Nebraska Volleyball Sellout Streak dates back to 2001...as Nebraska AVERAGED an over capacity 8,083 fans per game this season. (Capacity is 7,907 in the renovated Delaney Center that NU Volleyball moved into 2 years ago).

VNVYVNFECMXKKCK.20130915053639.jpg

In their last 5 home BASEBALL Games, Nebraska has drawn more than 24,600 plus fans.

NSWUZKEZTWQBAWE.20090626161034.jpg

The support their fans give them in almost every sports is just amazing.

This post was edited on 4/12 5:57 PM by Knight_Light

Originally posted by MrsScrew

When we went to RU game in Nebraska the whole state was focused solely on Cornhusker football. Even staying over in Council Bluffs , Iowa the folks are wearing their Cornhusker gear on game day.

Originally posted by RU-JMM78:

Our spring game will have between 15-20k in attendance. That's damn good attendance and probably puts us towards the top in country. RU has 20,000 awesome fans, we simply need to expand that over time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT