ADVERTISEMENT

So, according to a BOG member I know...

No, he must not. Unless you or others are going to fund his $3.5 million owed. You want to not renew his contract, fine, he can go in a few years. But there is little reason to remove him right now. That money can be far better spent on other things.
What time is the press conference tomorrow and will it be televised on the Big Ten network?

Is what I'm saying. People should't believe the spin from anybody about anything without corroborated proof, of which there is none. Absent any proof, applying some logic and Occam's razor is what's called for.

Agreed. I've always subscribed to the old adage that there are 3 sides to every story - your side, my side and the truth!

Reactions: redking and mildone
If true, and there is a ton of speculation on both sides, then it would have been wise for Hobbs/RU to
Is what I'm saying. People should't believe the spin from anybody about anything without corroborated proof, of which there is none. Absent any proof, applying some logic and Occam's razor is what's called for.
The less said in public the better because Hobbs and Schiano have to establish a working relationship to get things done like facilities financing and construction.

While correct that Hobbs didn't want Schiano at first, that statement is somewhat misleading without context. While Hobbs may not have initially wanted Schiano, after he and Brown met with Schiano and Hobbs started negotiating with Schiano, he was all in on hiring Schiano. Hobbs went to bat to get Rutgers and Schiano to agree on a deal.
Nobody can argue the indisputable fact that Hobbs did what you just said - went to bat and got Schiano to agree to a deal. To me, everything else is hearsay and speculation. And irrelevant.

I think this situation w/the RU coach hiring is a really good example of how so many people will take hearsay and speculation and, with enough repeating and reinforcement, will convert it into "hard fact". Hobbs has been tried and convicted in the court of uninformed public opinion.

It seems so difficult to get people to say "I don't know". Everybody "knows" what they want to believe.

As we've seen over the years and most importantly these past 2 weeks there is no such thing as accurate inside information.
It can happen; but everybody conveniently forgets their many failures and only remembers the few times they got something right. Which, in the case of so many binary choices, isn't exactly a record of which to be proud.

Pat Hobbs actually should get a lot of credit for getting GS hired. Why? According to my BOG friend, when Hobbs made it clear that he was looking at option B, that is when GS started to soften on some of his demands. This was, according to my BOG contact, a tactic that worked like a charm. My BOG contact thinks that Hobbs was raked over the coals unfairly by the press and fans. My BOG contact gives a lot of credit to Hobbs for getting GS on board. He reported that GS was a drama queen and a pain in the a** prior to Hobbs stating that he was going to plan B. He said that Hobbs had the balls to stand up to GS in the negotiations and that is what ultimately got the deal done.
So all of the local media got the story wrong? Ok thanks. I call bullshit

Reactions: ATIOH
tumblr_inline_mw3a8ex6z71rbgili.gif

The answer is some where in the middle. Hobbs did screw things up in the beginning but he also pulled them back together. There will be haters on both sides. The real question is can both coexist?
Lot more chapters to be added to this story.

LOL. The local media (along with national media) gets stories wrong all the time. All they can do is report what they're told. Did any local media source reveal exactly who their sources were for any of the information they published?

Then how do you know that what those anonymous sources might have said was factually complete and correct? Hint: you don't.

Reactions: ru66

I'm thinking it's very possible that a narrative was spun - quite possibly based on some truthful tidbits of information along with a lot of hearsay, opinion, and hyperbole - into something MUCH bigger than it truly ever was, by certain factions. That being said IT DID ALL WORK OUT IN THE END, so, move onward and upward IMHO!!! [cheers]

I call BS. First of all there was no plan b. Second, Hobbs is an idiot if he didn't anticipate the fan blowback that he will not recover from. Third, there are too many independent reports that he didn't want GS in the first place. Lastly, reports were leaked that painted GS as greedy and unwavering. Even Hobbs buddy Christie said GS didn't want the job. If all that was a calculated negotiating strategy, its a wonder that the deal was eventually made. the deal happened because the fans spoke up, even calling for Hobbs firing.

Correct! This is all political spin changing the timing and relative importance of events so Hobbs looks good. It’s all BULLSH!T.

Pat Hobbs actually should get a lot of credit for getting GS hired. Why? According to my BOG friend, when Hobbs made it clear that he was looking at option B, that is when GS started to soften on some of his demands. This was, according to my BOG contact, a tactic that worked like a charm. My BOG contact thinks that Hobbs was raked over the coals unfairly by the press and fans. My BOG contact gives a lot of credit to Hobbs for getting GS on board. He reported that GS was a drama queen and a pain in the a** prior to Hobbs stating that he was going to plan B. He said that Hobbs had the balls to stand up to GS in the negotiations and that is what ultimately got the deal done.
I am not even going to read the rest of the responses. But this is exactly right. Hobbs got unfairly painted as the bad guy here and he was not. Schiano was the one who caused last week, not Hobbs.

Sounds to me like a Hobbs supporter protecting Hobbs.

If Hobbs was just trying to get GS off his higher demands, he would not have launched a stealth smear campaign? That BOG member that the OP knows is either full of crap and is trying to help salvage Hobbs or he is extremely gullible.

Correct.

Reactions: TRU2RU
LOL. The local media (along with national media) gets stories wrong all the time. All they can do is report what they're told. Did any local media source reveal exactly who their sources were for any of the information they published?

Then how do you know that what those anonymous sources might have said was factually complete and correct? Hint: you don't.
Do you believe that Schiano was not on his list?

I'm thinking it's very possible that a narrative was spun - quite possibly based on some truthful tidbits of information along with a lot of hearsay, opinion, and hyperbole - into something MUCH bigger than it truly ever was, by certain factions. That being said IT DID ALL WORK OUT IN THE END, so, move onward and upward IMHO!!! [cheers]
You can choose not to believe TOS, rivals, NJAM. And just believe Brett mc Murphy? Or you can admit that you just want to believe the other side

Reactions: ATIOH
You can choose not to believe TOS, rivals, NJAM. And just believe Brett mc Murphy? Or you can admit that you just want to believe the other side

I'm not "choosing" to believe any one source BUT if you think there aren't some - many - in OUR press who didn't have agendas from Day 1, regarding this search, then I think you might be a tad short-sighted. Listen, I am HAPPY that Greg is back, began an entire thread last month as to why I think IT IS time for him to come home, despite having some reservations, so I'm 100% satisfied that this is over and we're ready to get rolling again. Just don't have blinders on - EITHER WAY (as I've always been a Hobbs fan, however, am 100% behind the fact that he should have handled things much better) - at this point that's all. This is GOOD STUFF so let's just move forward now IMHO. [cheers]

Reactions: gregkoko
I posted a couple weeks ago but I heard from someone I work with that Hobbs was all in on Schiano and his contact was within the AD dept. Hes not an RU Fan but knows I am and his cousin was equipment mgr for the football team for a lot of yrs so I used to get real good info on players before he retired

Reactions: RUin2WIN
I'm not "choosing" to believe any one source BUT if you think there aren't some - many - in OUR press who didn't have agendas from Day 1, regarding this search, then I think you might be a tad short-sighted. Listen, I am HAPPY that Greg is back, began an entire thread last month as to why I think IT IS time for him to come home, despite having some reservations, so I'm 100% satisfied that this is over and we're ready to get rolling again. Just don't have blinders on - EITHER WAY (as I've always been a Hobbs fan, however, am 100% behind the fact that he should have handled things much better) - at this point that's all. This is GOOD STUFF so let's just move forward now IMHO. [cheers]
[cheers][cheers][cheers]

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Look, I trust my source. He absolutely disputes how PH was portrayed in the media. I have no opinion about PH. I think he screwed up by hiring Ash, but my BoG contact indicated that it was a rush decision that had to be made because, believe it or not, CA was turning into a hot commodity.

This = crap

Fire Hobbs!

Reactions: scarletbergen
Then they came back to discuss things and got them to work. All the fan-base hysteria probably had minimal impact on the whole thing.
Yes because we all know the Governor steps in every time Rutgers hires a new coach. Or was the Governor stepping in a total fabrication of facts?

Do you believe that Schiano was not on his list?
Initially? Sure. It's not hard to believe because it made sense to leave him off the initial list. He wouldn't have been on my initial list either. I would've been aiming higher and kept Schiano in my back pocket if I struck out with those other people.

And I like Schiano a lot and think he did a great job of taking RUFB from absolute nothing to frequent bowl team. I also think he's a good man based on various things, not the least of which is his handling of the situation with Eric.

Those are not mutually exclusive viewpoints to anybody except the Schiano-only contingent for whom it's a crime against God to have not focused on Schiano, and only Schiano, right from the start.

Reactions: RUin2WIN
Yes because we all know the Governor steps in every time Rutgers hires a new coach. Or was the Governor stepping in a total fabrication of facts?
Politicians step in when they see a way of attracting future votes. If Murphy thought stepping in would result in lost votes, he would've stayed out of it.

This is the Hobbs who planted stories in Stadium before he called Greg to call off negotiations?

BTW--- I believe NOTHING the BOG ever says... official or unofficial -

that said, hobbs and schiano not getting along makes NO sense... so, if they are "all good" now, then great - it's good for the program

Politicians step in when they see a way of attracting future votes. If Murphy thought stepping in would result in lost votes, he would've stayed out of it.
So then the fan revolt did have an impact unlike your original statement where it had minimal impact. Murphy's blessing on this gave the BOG a clear view that they wouldn't receive backlash from Trenton if they approved the increased salary and partial funding for new facilities. Without the fan backlash I highly doubt there would have been enough pressure to come back to the negotiation table. Just because you chose not to participate don't diminish it's effect.

You have some proof of that?

Yes. My bullshit meter is off the charts! This spin makes no sense!

Now, I hope Hobbs can just stop with the weak BS, and just move forward and do his job...fundraise and lead the athletic department.

I call BS. First of all there was no plan b. Second, Hobbs is an idiot if he didn't anticipate the fan blowback that he will not recover from. Third, there are too many independent reports that he didn't want GS in the first place. Lastly, reports were leaked that painted GS as greedy and unwavering. Even Hobbs buddy Christie said GS didn't want the job. If all that was a calculated negotiating strategy, its a wonder that the deal was eventually made. the deal happened because the fans spoke up, even calling for Hobbs firing.

haters gonna hate

But Hobbs got Schiano to take a deal that was fair to both sides. Hobbs did not get rolled by the guy we needed to take the job, but got him back to the table and to agree to a deal.
But Schiano countered and Hobbs walked away. He could have countered the counter.. which is what happened because Schiano decided to be the bigger man.
You’re the last person who should say uncalled for you rat
well.. not the LAST person..

So then the fan revolt did have an impact unlike your original statement where it had minimal impact. Murphy's blessing on this gave the BOG a clear view that they wouldn't receive backlash from Trenton if they approved the increased salary and partial funding for new facilities. Without the fan backlash I highly doubt there would have been enough pressure to come back to the negotiation table. Just because you chose not to participate don't diminish it's effect.
Anything I choose to not participate in is greatly diminished. Greatly, I say. Greatly. :WideSmile:

Reactions: koleszar
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT