ADVERTISEMENT

Sparking a Sputtering Offense-Mike Leach

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Have always been a fan of Mike Leach. While Leach is going to start the senior Luke Falk, putting in his sophomore QB turned a 31-10 deficit to a win in triple OT.

Don't like his calling out his players, but interesting comments by Leach about his OL and WRs thinking they are great and not demonstrating it in the 1st half.

Last year, Chris Ash stayed too long with an ineffective QB. Hope that either Bolin gets it together, or if he does not, we give Gio or Lewis a shot, and not just one or two reps to hand the ball off. Even so, we need both Gio and Lewis to get reps and experience for next year.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu-cougar-football/mike-leach-offense-timid-boise-state/
http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400935267

WSU went into the locker room at half time with only 148 offensive yards and having converted only three of eight third downs.

Luke Falk was a pedestrian 12 of 19 for 116 passing yards and an interception, James Williams was averaging 1.9 yards per carry, and aside from one 59-yard pass to Renard Bell, WSU seemed incapable of completing any long passes.

What was wrong?

Everything, says Leach.

“I think our whole offense were a bunch of cautious pattycakers out there,” Leach said, proceeding to call out every offensive position group.

“We’ve got receivers, they think they’re really good players. If you don’t believe me, just listen to them talk as they walk around the hall,” Leach said. “And they’re getting jammed and beat up by kids approximately their same age. …. I thought our receivers played timid.”

He wasn’t thrilled with the play of his starting quarterback either. Leach said he took Falk out of the game for one series in the third quarter because he wanted him to “see how easy it would be out there” and get an opportunity to review things from the sidelines.

Sometimes, just an extra set of eyes as it slows down from the sideline will kind of clarify things for you, which I think it did (for Falk),” Leach said.

The quarterback re-entered the game in the fourth quarter, but was knocked out of action entirely after he took a big hit from Boise State’s Jabril Frazier.

Leach at least seemed pleased with the way backup quarterback Tyler Hilinski performed. Hilinski finished 25 of 33 for 240 yards and three touchdowns.

However, he also threw one interception and took a sack for a loss of 20 yards on his first offensive series.

“I thought his first drive started out fine, but he had to take care of the football better and make some better choices, but I thought that his drives after that, he did a really good job,” Leach said.

Hilinski agreed.

“I made a couple bonehead plays,” Hilinski said. “The sack obviously was pretty terrible, and the flip interception wasn’t too good. But you learn from your mistakes.”

I like what he said in the offense being a "bunch of cautious pattycakers out there". I think that's our problem..........no confidence. Ash has to find a way to motivate this team especially when they lose their "mo" during a game. I also believe it's a good idea to sit a QB now and then.

Reactions: AntiG
I got inside the stadium exceptionally early on Saturday. For some reason I thought it was a 3:00 start. I was in the stadium with enough time to see the entire warm up. 1 hour plus before kickoff.

I could tell this team was not ready to play a a game. As Leach says in this article the "We’ve got receivers, they think they’re really good players. If you don’t believe me, just listen to them talk as they walk around the hall,” The entire unit of skill position players, except for Washington, Mitchell and 2 quarterbacks Bolin and Allen of all people, walked through the entire warm up. They were going through the motions. Heads not into it. They thought they were going to march all over Eastern Michigan. There was no excitement.

I thought that would change when they put the pads on and were joined by the rest of the team. It got worse. There was no excitement what so ever. The coaches were trying to get them up. There is a definite leadership vacuum on this team and in that locker room. Sad to say that the best leaders are first year players or recent transfers.

Reactions: redking and RUfubar
I like what he said in the offense being a "bunch of cautious pattycakers out there". I think that's our problem..........no confidence. Ash has to find a way to motivate this team especially when they lose their "mo" during a game. I also believe it's a good idea to sit a QB now and then.

Should also be kept in mind that Mike Leach took over a woeful PAC-12 doormat. They were 9-40 and 4-32 in the 4 years prior to leach and 4-8 and 2-7 in the year before Leach (sound familiar?).
Leach's Records:

2012: 3-9/ 1-8
2013: 6-7/4-5
2014: 3-9/2-7
2015: 9-4/6-3
2016: 8-5/7-2

It took a seasoned coach 4 years to hit his stride.

Reactions: winRU
Should also be kept in mind that Mike Leach took over a woeful PAC-12 doormat. They were 9-40 and 4-32 in the 4 years prior to leach and 4-8 and 2-7 in the year before Leach (sound familiar?).
Leach's Records:

2012: 3-9/ 1-8
2013: 6-7/4-5
2014: 3-9/2-7
2015: 9-4/6-3
2016: 8-5/7-2

It took a seasoned coach 4 years to hit his stride.
He won 6 games and 4 in conference in his 2nd year.

Washington St. is not an easy place to win, either. Second tier in their own state with very little talent, and last in reputation in the Pac 12 when it comes to recruiting California.

It's actually aspiration for Rutgers. A program fighting to gain respect with many things working against it needs to think creatively, aggressively, with a go for it attitude.

Trying to play the football 101 playbook with not highly recruited players is the absolute hardest way to go about winning. Especially in this conference. I'd argue impossible.

And if all else fails, at least it's exciting. Getting our teeth smashed in while doing everything so traditionally is completely uninteresting.

It takes guys like Leach and outside of the box coaching to compete at places that don't have great players or big time tradition to fall on.

Last edited:
Really? I typed it myself. But in year 3 he was back to 3-9 and 2-7. Folks on this board would go absolutely nuts if that happened.
It's weak comparison. Or at least an unfavorable one for Ash. Very unfavorable. You typed it yourself so you should know.

in how many games did Leach lose by 70+ points?
Are you President of the Mike Leach fan club?
It's an apt comparison, as I was pointing out an experienced coach with a winning record making nearly $3 Million/year did shitty in his first 3 years.
Chris Ash is a first time head coach going up against 4 top 15 teams in his first two years.
I don't know what some of you guys want- a head coach or a magician.
Last year is done. That has been hashed out. DM was a disaster.

But since you asked about Leach, in year 1 he lost 49-6 to a 5 win Utah team and 46-7 to an 8-5 Arizona State.
In year 2, he lost 55-17 to Stanford.
In year 3, he lost to lowly Rutgers and Nevada (non P5)
In year 4, he lost to FCS Portland State, but the team went 9-4.

The big picture, which you seem to be missing, is coaching and winning is an inexact science. There is no one to one correlation. The main point is it will take 4-5 years for things to stabilize at Rutgers. Losing to FBS EMU, who went to a bowl game last year, is not the end of the program and reason to lose your mind and proclaim that our coach should be fired.

Are you President of the Mike Leach fan club?
It's an apt comparison, as I was pointing out an experienced coach with a winning record making nearly $3 Million/year did shitty in his first 3 years.
Chris Ash is a first time head coach going up against 4 top 15 teams in his first two years.
I don't know what some of you guys want- a head coach or a magician.
Last year is done. That has been hashed out. DM was a disaster.

But since you asked about Leach, in year 1 he lost 49-6 to a 5 win Utah team and 46-7 to an 8-5 Arizona State.
In year 2, he lost 55-17 to Stanford.
In year 3, he lost to lowly Rutgers and Nevada (non P5)
In year 4, he lost to FCS Portland State, but the team went 9-4.

The big picture, which you seem to be missing, is coaching and winning is an inexact science. There is no one to one correlation. The main point is it will take 4-5 years for things to stabilize at Rutgers. Losing to FBS EMU, who went to a bowl game last year, is not the end of the program and reason to lose your mind and proclaim that our coach should be fired.
I'm not the one who brought up Leach. But his results 14 games in his career at WSU far exceed Ash's 14 games results here at RU. That includes lack of 70+ point blowouts, winless in conference seasons and double digit losing streaks.

But at the moment I'm not proclaiming Ash should be fired. But the results through 14 games are terrible. Much worse then Leach through 14 games.

My thoughts on Ash keeping his job are along the lines of, he needs to figure this out and get some wins. Leach did that in year 2. And I'm not seeing Ash needs 6 wins, but 1 win? Or 6 wins total through 3 years? That is lousy. Leach had more then twice that man wins.

Do I hate Ash, or think he can't win? No, but he needs to find a way to get some wins. That is the way sports works.

Unlike us, Mike Leach will run the same play until you sop it.

We've always been horrible at that. Last time I can remember us doing it right was vs. Indiana in 2014 When it was clear they could not stop our runs off-tackle. Of course it took us until the 3rd Q to figure that out, but once we did we kept going back to it with success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT