ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer for Hire

Blueswayedshus

Redshirt
Nov 15, 2019
The way he handled it left a lot to be desired and bitterness from his scorned former fans is justified, but, strictly from his standpoint, it was a fantastic move.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Just what we need another thread, and this one just to play on a stupid tv show from 30:years ago

I am gonna make Spencer godfather to my kids …retroactive back to date of baptismal certificates
I'm sure Cam will agree to do it
if
images

Reactions: Plum Street
Nobody owes his or her university anything. Athletes and non- athletes alike. It’s pathetic, stupid and immature for anyone to criticize another for pursuing other opportunities no matter their reasons.

Dahntay Jones, Mike Rosario, Cam Spencer, whoever. It’s Rutgers’ problem, not their problem. UConn is an elite program that wins championships and is much higher up the food chain than us. Maybe if the program had 10x more going for it he would have stayed, but it does not.

Nobody owes his or her university anything. Athletes and non- athletes alike. It’s pathetic, stupid and immature for anyone to criticize another for pursuing other opportunities no matter their reasons.

Dahntay Jones, Mike Rosario, Cam Spencer, whoever. It’s Rutgers’ problem, not their problem. UConn is an elite program that wins championships and is much higher up the food chain than us. Maybe if the program had 10x more going for it he would have stayed, but it does not.
If people are just free to walk away at the alter then other people are just as free to have and voice opinions about it. You for one certainly voice your opinions and many subjects (many I agree with) that could fall into that silo. Just the use of the words Pathetic, Stupid, and immature shows how far you are yourself on expressing opinions and passing judgement.

Didn't see a single post about him not having a right to do what he did. Just what and how. Big difference sir. And you can go back to many of my comments and see I actually do understand the why part (your point). For me it is the HOW part that grinds.

If people are just free to walk away at the alter then other people are just as free to have and voice opinions about it. You for one certainly voice your opinions and many subjects (many I agree with) that could fall into that silo. Just the use of the words Pathetic, Stupid, and immature shows how far you are yourself on expressing opinions and passing judgement.

Didn't see a single post about him not having a right to do what he did. Just what and how. Big difference sir. And you can go back to many of my comments and see I actually do understand the why part (your point). For me it is the HOW part that grinds.

Would be interesting if an underclassmen went the other way and announced before the season they planned on leaving after the year.

Similar to what coaches and HC Pike do regarding over recruiting the available scholarships (HC Pike recruited 5 players for 3 scholarships and basically announced prior to the year that 2 players must leave and not return).

My view is, the how is irrelevant. A better opportunity arose.

I also think there’s food chain jealousy/envy happening: Hurley, NCAA titles, etc. If he transferred to Miami many fewer people would be bothered by it.

With fans like you, who needs enemies?

Each situation is different and there’s a right way and a wrong way to do just about anything.

I’m an alum and maybe it means more to me than it does people on here who are Rutgers sports fans.

I was also a non-scholarship athlete and am very sympathetic to the athlete’s perspective and politics involved.

I considered transferring myself, but my coach reminded me why I was at school and was also candid with me about what I should expect if I pursued that route. He gave me a reality check on my ego, but also advocated for how special Rutgers was and what my goals were beyond sports.

That was his job, and I respected his perspective. For a team’s best players to leave is never a good look, but this doesn’t happen in a vacuum, either.

I appreciate the need for student athletes to look out for #1.

Rutgers fans are rightfully upset with both Mulcahy and Spencer not for the fact that they left, but the manner and timeframe in which they did.

If you want to talk about immaturity, you need look no further than that and that of parents who have lost the script as well.

My loyalties remain

Rutgers —> Pike —> Player

And they always will.

Just as they are

Rutgers —> Schiano —> Player

That is the nature of college sports and every athlete knows this.

It also must be this way for programs to be successful over the long-term.

The chaos of NIL is temporary.
Players are getting a piece of the pie, as they should.

As college sports evolve, we need alums and fans alike to do a much better job of recognizing that Rutgers is a very special place and reflect this pride in attitude, giving and support that is on par with our peer schools.

Each situation is different and there’s a right way and a wrong way to do just about anything.

I’m an alum and maybe it means more to me than it does people on here who are Rutgers sports fans.

I was also a non-scholarship athlete and am very sympathetic to the athlete’s perspective and politics involved.

I considered transferring myself, but my coach reminded me why I was at school and was also candid with me about what I should expect if I pursued that route. He gave me a reality check on my ego, but also advocated for how special Rutgers was and what my goals were beyond sports.

That was his job, and I respected his perspective. For a team’s best players to leave is never a good look, but this doesn’t happen in a vacuum, either.

Rutgers fans are rightfully upset with both Mulcahy and Spencer not for the fact that they left, but the manner and timeframe in which they did.

If you want to talk about immaturity, you need look no further than that and that of parents who have lost the script as well.

My loyalties remain

And they always will.

Just as they are

As college sports evolve, we need alums and fans alike to do a much better job of recognizing that Rutgers is a very special place and reflect this pride in attitude, giving and support that is on par with our peer schools.
Extremely well said, BE Beast. What sport did you play?

My loyalties remain

And they always will.

Just as they are

Your loyalties, or my loyalties, or what you or I believe priorities and transfer rules should be are also irrelevant. There is no right or wrong here. Our lenses are different than his lens, which is the only one that matters to his decision.

Your loyalties, or my loyalties, or what you or I believe priorities and transfer rules should be are also irrelevant. There is no right or wrong here. Our lenses are different than his lens, which is the only one that matters to his decision.

Of course there’s a right and wrong here, as with anything.

This isn’t about any individual player- it’s about your ridiculous assertion that fans, teammates, alumni are pathetic, stupid and immature for being critical of someone when they go about doing something in a way that shows poor character, judgment or shows a lack of respect.

You can talk in existential, Yoda-speak all you want about how there’s no relationship between University and student or nothing matters, but that type of apathetic mindset is I think what needs to change most about the Rutgers community. It feels like a cop-out to me.

My view is, the how is irrelevant. A better opportunity arose.

I also think there’s food chain jealousy/envy happening: Hurley, NCAA titles, etc. If he transferred to Miami many fewer people would be bothered by it.
I think there is SOME truth to this. But I think it would be a 9 and not a 10 on the hurt meter. . One can still separate the harm caused to the team regardless of destination.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shelby65
Of course there’s a right and wrong here, as with anything.

This isn’t about any individual player- it’s about your ridiculous assertion that fans, teammates, alumni are pathetic, stupid and immature for being critical of someone when they go about doing something in a way that shows poor character, judgment or shows a lack of respect.

You can talk in existential, Yoda-speak all you want about how there’s no relationship between University and student or nothing matters, but that type of apathetic mindset is I think what needs to change most about the Rutgers community. It feels like a cop-out to me.
No, wrong to you doesn't mean it's wrong for Cam. Your ethics, values and life circumstances aren't his. Lots of Giants fans think Saquan was wrong to sign with a rival. No, wrong for fans, but not for him.

Sure, be disappointed but that's something different. I'm disappointed he left and am disappointed GG and Mag left. That's not right, wrong or relevant to their decisions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT