ADVERTISEMENT

St. Johns Beats UConn

Uconn was overrated
I’m actually surprised by UConn’s current slump. They convincingly beat No. 4 Alabama and No. 13 ISU out of conference and looked very good doing it. I thought they were a top-10 type program based on those games. Wonder what happened.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
They looked good early and are Uber talented but think Danny gets exposed as outcoached. Look at last two first round NCAA tourney exits. Not only did they lose, they didn’t show up.

All of sudden, St. John’s now in tourney conversation. The loss to Iowa reminded me of our loss to St. Johns 5 years ago? They showed up and were hitting threes from half court. Thought that was the best St. Johns had looked in a decade. Just some random St. Johns thoughts. Lol

And I have an ulterior motive. Want RU and not UConn to get first dibs to Albany.

I’m actually surprised by UConn’s current slump. They convincingly beat No. 4 Alabama and No. 13 ISU out of conference and looked very good doing it. I thought they were a top-10 type program based on those games. Wonder what happened.
I agree, they looked great early. Had to be tough distributing playing time to so many good players, my guess is chemistry issues. Pre-season BE Player of the year was sitting out at the end of games in favor of a Freshman, that can't be good for team chemistry. Hurley is a true people person with a nice, calm, congenial personality to deal with that stuff though, so I'm sure they'll bounce back.

• Haha
Reactions: RU-ROCS
With how they have been playing they were still at No. 6 yesterday? Man, if you get over ranked at some point the Top 25 can be a lifetime achievement award for some teams.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
And some insist no biases in favor of some and no negative biases against others.

Last edited:
“There's a lot more going on in dealing with these guys,” Hurley said. “I think the hard thing is, if the season isn't going exactly the way a player would want at this point of the year, and they know there's outs in a couple months, sometimes they give in a little bit. All programs are dealing with that. I think that's why you see some of these performances that are uncharacteristic of teams that have looked great early on.”

“I do think that players in general are not kind of staying in the fight, trying to find a way to help.”

“I see it. I see a look of that,” Hurley said. “I've seen it the last two years. It's not necessarily an issue [with] maybe your starters or your top options on offense, but you can see a lack of people sticking with it, trying to fight and help a team and fight for more minutes. Because they know that there's outs down the line. That's a different dynamic. But I've seen that the last two years. … The way you add value to your career is by continuing to find ways to help your team win.”

Last season was followed by a wave of players transferring because they wanted more playing time

“That was a physical, chippy game,” Hurley said. “And we caved in. We've just become a team that's obviously easy to beat. Because we can't score enough to beat you right now, and we're not playing elite defense.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT