ADVERTISEMENT

Stephanie Guihon

It's over. Time to give it a rest and look towards the future.

Are we gonna go thru the next year complaining about the former coach ? 2 years to complain ?
C'mon Choppin. You know better than that. The anti-Viv crowd will still be chirping five years from now, same as the anti-Ash crowd. Only difference is that whereas CViv is a HOFer, Ash introduced rugby tackling.

I agree. With so much unknown about her health, it's impossible to reasonably pass judgement on her. It's best left alone until you get more info.
The program is a hot mess and CW is not providing fuzzies that are warm enough to let you forget the smoldering, smokey cluster that is the current state of the program. Get ready for triple digit attendance figures and a complete lack of “give a ****” by the fan base especially since the mens program is in good hands and thriving.

Reactions: bac2therac
The program is a hot mess and CW is not providing fuzzies that are warm enough to let you forget the smoldering, smokey cluster that is the current state of the program. Get ready for triple digit attendance figures and a complete lack of “give a ****” by the fan base especially since the mens program is in good hands and thriving.
I will be very interested in attendance figures. When we moved to Tucson in 2011 I would say that good attendance for an Arizona game was probably near 1500, and it never dropped below 1000 even during the worse years of Niya Butts - and to be very clear there were times during games where it appeared her team was confused what sport they were playing - think Terry Shea football.

Winning cures all ills, of course, but I would really hope that Rutgers has enough dedicated fans (as Arizona did) to maintain attendance over 1000 (at least).

Reactions: MADHAT1
This post may make more sense as a reply to someone who remains focused on CVS as the new CW era is under way.

Although it is only natural for a fan to want to hear good news about their team, I am cool with being patient. CW has only been here 2 weeks. And it is quite normal for programs to go through these kinds of pains when transitioning from one coach to another. If it turns out that the coming season is rough like the last one, it's okay with me. It's to be expected. If it turns out well, it will be more of a pleasant surprise to everyone.

As long as we have student-athletes that are giving 100% and a coach that's giving their all, I can continue to be a fan of the program win or lose. As bad as the season went last year, I enjoyed being there for our players, the new faces. Osh was a joy to watch, they all did their part in giving 100% on the floor. I'll enjoy seeing the freshman this coming year, the transfers and how they adapt to the P5 comp, and especially the opportunity to see what Chyna, Erica, and Awa can be........along with the others who will make up the team. I'll be one of the triple digit attendance number.

If the fair-weather fans want to stay away, I can't speak for everybody, but I sure will have the sentiment that you expressed above, "complete lack of ......".

This post may make more sense as a reply to someone who remains focused on CVS as the new CW era is under way.

Although it is only natural for a fan to want to hear good news about their team, I am cool with being patient. CW has only been here 2 weeks. And it is quite normal for programs to go through these kinds of pains when transitioning from one coach to another. If it turns out that the coming season is rough like the last one, it's okay with me. It's to be expected. If it turns out well, it will be more of a pleasant surprise to everyone.

As long as we have student-athletes that are giving 100% and a coach that's giving their all, I can continue to be a fan of the program win or lose. As bad as the season went last year, I enjoyed being there for our players, the new faces. Osh was a joy to watch, they all did their part in giving 100% on the floor. I'll enjoy seeing the freshman this coming year, the transfers and how they adapt to the P5 comp, and especially the opportunity to see what Chyna, Erica, and Awa can be........along with the others who will make up the team. I'll be one of the triple digit attendance number.

If the fair-weather fans want to stay away, I can't speak for everybody, but I sure will have the sentiment that you expressed above, "complete lack of ......".
I suppose I will screw up here a bit and auto correct will kill me but

I had been a season ticket holder 2012 -2018. I watched Julie kill recruiting( impression Stringer would not be here) and Chelsea Newton leaving and top five classes came to an end.
Most did not give up hope as you suggest even after Tyler’s heart issues and some nasty players. Viv disappeared 7 girls and in come Arella, Mael, Caitlyn, Broughton, Tekia and we were back on track in 6 months.

important key is all those changes occurred in Feb-mar. We are in rebuild mode in June this time. Painful to watch.

But with her it was easier to believe. With Tim this was disgusting and people have their left foot out the door. If you are a fan you are aware of a few things.
We have 7 girls now
When 2022 ends we have five
After 2023 we have three

so we must fill 5-6 places now
Then 6-7 after 2022
8-9 after 2023
We now appear out the game in 2023 and the prospect is fill slots to fill slots

it’s hard to feel good about direction and the silence to fans is deafening.It appears that the two top players in the state did have interest ( but in chris ash type non challance) we didn’t bother to offer. But did have time to extend N offer god an eigth grader.
So my friend I am in a show me something mode but the damage may have been done

Reactions: MADHAT1
Ho26rus,...Totally understand where you're coming from. I think we all have a little Missouri in us right now.

CW doesn't just get a pass to do whatever. Nor should she or anyone else who steps into the HC spot. We have to give her the reasonable time to get things right though. She's got a tough task, as would any other candidate who would have been selected at this late stage in the hiring/recruiting cycle.

Lots of spots to fill, but if CW can get a quality staff together, recruits can come in bunches. Good ones. It happens that way with coaching changes. It's just a situation of 'time will tell'.

We are not whole as a program at the moment. The silence makes us more anxious for good news but we are like the person watching the phone, waiting for it to ring . I need to dial it back a bit, myself, and let things play out. I'm going out to do my yardwork and other tasks that have been in need some attention.

Ho26rus,...Totally understand where you're coming from. I think we all have a little Missouri in us right now.

CW doesn't just get a pass to do whatever. Nor should she or anyone else who steps into the HC spot. We have to give her the reasonable time to get things right though. She's got a tough task, as would any other candidate who would have been selected at this late stage in the hiring/recruiting cycle.

Lots of spots to fill, but if CW can get a quality staff together, recruits can come in bunches. Good ones. It happens that way with coaching changes. It's just a situation of 'time will tell'.

We are not whole as a program at the moment. The silence makes us more anxious for good news but we are like the person watching the phone, waiting for it to ring . I need to dial it back a bit, myself, and let things play out. I'm going out to do my yardwork and other tasks that have been in need some attention.
First year recruiting after a coaching change is just about always down unless you hire an existing HC from another P5 program that brings recruits over.

Based on when coaches can actually contact recruits (June 15th after their Sophomore Year) it's a 1 to 1 1/2 year relationship building process.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUcrazee
Crazy said, " never publicly spoke at a celebration for her Cheyney St Anniversary??, did not speak publicly to announce her retirement. ??? hasn't spoken to congratulate Coquese as her successor."
Correct the picture of her with some Chaney alum were holding her up on both sides. That was obvious. The pre-recorded plug for all women, and girls was filmed 1 years before it was shown.

Reactions: RUcrazee

Listen I’ve followed RUWBB since freshman year 1985…the GLORIOUS Wicks era (best RU basketball player ever)…it’s never felt this empty and excitement this low. The new coach is following in the footsteps of two HFers…there should have been a line of suitors wanting to follow here. To quote bac, stringer torpedoed the program and that bit of truth hurts the more touchy-feely Pollyanna's.

Whatever her health and personal issues may be, I hope and wish her the best…she took RU very high, but the position she clearly put the university in, set us up for (if not failure) then a really, really tough and unnecessary road ahead.

Reactions: ho26rus
Listen I’ve followed RUWBB since freshman year 1985…the GLORIOUS Wicks era (best RU basketball player ever)…it’s never felt this empty and excitement this low. The new coach is following in the footsteps of two HFers…there should have been a line of suitors wanting to follow here. To quote bac, stringer torpedoed the program and that bit of truth hurts the more touchy-feely Pollyanna's.

Whatever her health and personal issues may be, I hope and wish her the best…she took RU very high, but the position she clearly put the university in, set us up for (if not failure) then a really, really tough and unnecessary road ahead.
I think we may have to check our egos a bit when it comes to our view of RU in the overall WBB landscape. I was thinking this when some where posting as if some of the dream list candidates would just drop where they were and run to RU to take the job. Courtney Banghart comes to mind. Yes, she likely would have jumped on it a couple years ago. But we have to realize, many would consider UNC to be a better job than RU in WBB. There are so many good coaches out there at so many different places. Talent is going all over the place, not just UConn and Tenn. It's much more competitive across the board.

We were extremely fortunate to have two HOF coaches back-to-back. No one debates that the current state of the program is no where close to the excitement/interest level of the Grentz/first half of Stringer era. Lulls are normal for coaching transitions. We've been spoiled.

As many have been stressing about the current situation, we know it is all about the timing. You better believe coaches across the NCAA know what a good job the RU HC position is,...right now! Yes!, at this time. The program has not been destroyed. It is just in a transition of leadership.

An incomplete roster, with time to rebuild it, does not equal a destroyed program.

Was CVS' retirement at a good time for the next in line, ...of course not. But the overall program is set up for success, not failure. A tough road back??... Yes!, ...mainly due to timing, but definitely not failure.

Reactions: ChasRC69
Wicks era (best RU basketball player ever)
I was a HUGE Sue Wicks fan from RU and NYLiberty days. But I think you may be introducing another family debate here.

After seeing both at RU, it's really tough, but I'd have to give Cappie the nod.

She and Candace P were arguably the best female players on the planet by the time they were seniors (WNBA included) IMO. Cappie bolstered that stance when she went to play in Phoenix and everywhere she played overseas.

I think we may have to check our egos a bit when it comes to our view of RU in the overall WBB landscape. position
Thank you. Rutgers is very difficult to place, exactly. It was, for a period of time, somewhere among the top 10 to 15 programs in Division 1. Those days were over a decade ago.

In the late days of the AIAW and Rutgers' championship, Rutgers was probably well positioned, and certainly Wicks was a great star, but Rutgers was probably not a program that was high in the "national eye" by the 90's.

With the arrival of Vivian, joining the BE, and especially the rise of Connecticut giving that conference great validity, with NCAA runs, 2 Final Fours, great recruiting and such Rutgers probably bordered on a top 10 program. I'm not sure the belief was anchored in "Rutgers" as a great athletic school with great facilities as opposed to CVS.

Through the last decade, it isn't that Rutgers became some sort of a bottom feeder, but rather so many other programs have had greater success, for a period certainly had much greater recruiting, and - while I hate the phrase - "passed us by". The attractions of Rutgers remain now better facilities, the B1G, a historic name, and, well, not so much else. The idea that it can be successful is there.

Yes, in the over-all WBB landscape, Rutgers is not a "special" Power 5 team, but a Power 5 team with potential.

Through the last decade, it isn't that Rutgers became some sort of a bottom feeder, but rather so many other programs have had greater success, for a period certainly had much greater recruiting, and - while I hate the phrase - "passed us by". The attractions of Rutgers remain now better facilities, the B1G, a historic name, and, well, not so much else. The idea that it can be successful is there.
Well said!

The phrase "passed us by" is appropriate in this context. We've said it a million times,....Viv struggled with recruiting after the Fab 5.

One main attraction that you left out is the location of RU in terms of fertile recruiting territory. Huge advantage along with the edge of it being the State University, giving us an edge over the Princetons, Seton Halls, Villanovas, Temples, St John's, etc.

Also, a growing football program, which seems to be a big selling point on recruiting visits.

Not too bad after all, huh??!!!

Yes, in the over-all WBB landscape, Rutgers is not a "special" Power 5 team, but a Power 5 team with potential.
I think RU is seen as a "special" Power 5 program at this point.

Back in the A10 days we were more like a mid-major (the best of) that, under Grentz, could more than handle playing with the P5s.

As CVS took over and, as you stated about the entrance into the P5 Big East(very strong at the time), she built on what Grentz did to raise the profile to a national one that I would say has us in the category of "special", "notable", "somebodies" in the WCBB landscape.

The thing is, so many other programs, all over the country, have lifted themselves up to that category. Not saying that they are all on the same level as UConn, SCar, Stanf, etc. But top recruits are teaming up everywhere and building programs that are legitimate contenders capable of making deep runs in the NCAA Tourney.

Now we just have to hope Coquese can get us solidly back to where RU is expected to be. Expected to be a sure Top 25, more like Top 15 program, off of its history of the past two HOF coaches.

Each time I see a new post I feel badly for Stephanie Guihon. She did nothing to be part of an ongoing thread where posters are discussing so many things other than her. Maybe let’s let this thread go off into oblivion?

Each time I see a new post I feel badly for Stephanie Guihon. She did nothing to be part of an ongoing thread where posters are discussing so many things other than her. Maybe let’s let this thread go off into oblivion?
Yes! You are absolutely right. She seemed like the ultimate team player. A role model student-athlete that represented herself, parents, the team, and University in an exemplary way. I wish her nothing but the best at her new school. And lots of playing time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT