ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Politti Kudos! (Schiano-Patrick Hobbs marriage can work at Rutgers -- if both sides try )

RUheart

Senior
Aug 5, 2001
Freehold NJ
His article on Schiano-Hobbs meeting is spot on.. Its so obvious it must happen. Two egos can work together for the dream team of the future... If Greg is interested he can save our future and its
Football or bust... Hopefully Hobbs is not that short sighted and Greg is really interested because if I can get a taste of the past when I could walk around proud of my alma mater once again just like when I stormed the field the day we beat Louisville... Hobbs make it happen our future is in your hands and your future for doing the Best for RU is will be remembered forever.

Everyone hates this guy Politti. guy is an anti RU hack... Politti is a peni* head.

Politti begins writing pro Schiano articles... Politi is spot on! We love Politti.
Imagine the death threats Politi wouldve gotten if he wrote "Rutgers should look at ALL qualified candidates out there."

Reactions: rimsky
If the Schiano-Hobbs partnership can't work at Rutgers, we may as well write off the program. We're not going to hire anyone better-positioned to bring this team back from the dumpster. Politi's article was spot on, the two egos have to find a way to work together if we want to turn this thing around.

If the Schiano-Hobbs partnership can't work at Rutgers, we may as well write off the program. We're not going to hire anyone better-positioned to bring this team back from the dumpster. Politi's article was spot on, the two egos have to find a way to work together if we want to turn this thing around.

This is the reason why I feel that the program should bring back Schiano. With other coaches, chances are that the results will not going to be more like our last 2 coaching hires. However, if Urban Meyer has an itch to coach at our college, I am all for it but he won't.

Why wait to start the process? Our program is in shambles; there is NO EXCUSE for not starting the process immediately. And that, you would think, would include an immediate call to the most successful RU coach since Frank Burns.

It honestly seems that a large number of people are stuck in the past.
They feel that Greg is the only candidate that can possibly have any success here just because he made success here before.
These same people seem happy if Rutgers is a 4-5 win team. Just because it’s better than being a laughing stock of the conference.
While I do feel Greg can achieve this low bar standard. Regaining the success of the Big East in the B1G is pipe dream. OS, UM, MSU & PS aren’t exactly BC, Syracuse, UConn & Louisville.
Yes Rutgers is challenged in hiring a top flight coach. I just see people pushing for Greg because the hope of past glory is better than the unknown of hiring a coach that they don’t know.
I just think there are better candidates out there. Stop being scared of someone else.

It is nothing short of ridiculous that Schiano has not yet been brought in for an interview. There is no excuse.

If he’s brought in for the interview, people are going to go crazy and there will be an expectation that he will be hired.

The great prophet Steve Politi, all praise be for him, is right. It is time to bring Hobbs the builder and the great and powerful Schiano the architect together.

It honestly seems that a large number of people are stuck in the past.
They feel that Greg is the only candidate that can possibly have any success here just because he made success here before.
These same people seem happy if Rutgers is a 4-5 win team. Just because it’s better than being a laughing stock of the conference.
While I do feel Greg can achieve this low bar standard. Regaining the success of the Big East in the B1G is pipe dream. OS, UM, MSU & PS aren’t exactly BC, Syracuse, UConn & Louisville.
Yes Rutgers is challenged in hiring a top flight coach. I just see people pushing for Greg because the hope of past glory is better than the unknown of hiring a coach that they don’t know.
I just think there are better candidates out there. Stop being scared of someone else.

What you and others don’t realize, is that Greg willed this program to success due to his significant effort and drove the efforts of others. Not every coach has the skill set to be successful at Rutgers, and even if they do, not every coach is going to go above and beyond. Chris Ash failed not because he didn’t give enough effort, but Because his effort was mis-allocated, as he did not have the right strategy for success. Also he did not have a strong relationship with enough NJ coaches, many of whom saw him as aloof. Greg isn’t perfect, but he’s the best fit for what we need. 11 years of progress and institutional knowledge shows that he is the least risky of all the available choices.

I think the article is more obvious then it is "spot on". When Ash getting fired made front page news of the Star Ledger it opened my eyes as to just how important Rutgers is to that paper, and by association NJ.com. And as this site proves, you write the name Schiano and people will not only read it, they will say it's the best article they have ever written. This article, as are the previous Schiano articles Politi has written, is merely throwing a big slab of red meat out to the Rutgers fan base. Of course they would eat it up.

But on this, "Roll the dice on a lower-profile coach, like Buffalo’s Lance Leipold, and it’ll be your backside in the hot seat from the moment he arrives on campus. Hire Greg, and you’ll have a comfortable existence of raising money, building things and shaking hands at basketball games." I think Politti is making a good point. Becuase Rutgers fans love Schiano like they do, Hobbs buys himself a huge cushion by bringing him back. There will be near zero heat for at least 3 years. Heck if they hire Schiano, and he doesn't win, Hobbs might actually get a 3rd hire.

And Politi, in showing himself as a Schiano fanboy himself, is also saying, make this move and Hobbs will have a free ride from NJ.com as well.

Last edited:

Come on now ... I’m not a qualified person for that, nor do I think you or the other St Greg group are.
You can’t honestly say, that there are no better candidates than Greg in this country. Other than being the DC at OS what has Greg done since leaving here? Kinda easy considering the talent that OS can bring in each year.

1 question for you, Do you honestly think he could possibly bring in that kind of players here?

What you and others don’t realize, is that Greg willed this program to success due to his significant effort and drove the efforts of others. Not every coach has the skill set to be successful at Rutgers, and even if they do, not every coach is going to go above and beyond. Chris Ash failed not because he didn’t give enough effort, but Because his effort was mis-allocated, as he did not have the right strategy for success. Also he did not have a strong relationship with enough NJ coaches, many of whom saw him as aloof. Greg isn’t perfect, but he’s the best fit for what we need. 11 years of progress and institutional knowledge shows that he is the least risky of all the available choices.

Okay you all keep on living in the past.

Everyone hates this guy Politti. guy is an anti RU hack... Politti is a peni* head.

Politti begins writing pro Schiano articles... Politi is spot on! We love Politti.

Not surprising. This is the home of the battered housewife mentality for men. Meanwhile, Politi said nothing in that article. The SL and NJ.com continue to play the Rutgers fanbase for fools. They regurgitate crap from here, and love it or hate it, you all eat it up.

Reactions: JayRU09
There may be better coaches than Schiano out there. But there are no better matches for the current situation at Rutgers. He's the right guy to save the program. Maybe the only guy. He has the ties to New Jersey and to Rutgers, he has a proven track record of bringing in talented players, and he has the mindset (and the history) to rebuild the team the same way he did the first time. If he can't fix Rutgers Football, nobody can.

Right now, RU football is so driven into the ground that even looking up to see mediocre would require using a radio telescope.

What we've desperately got to have here is someone who can stop the bleeding and give fans and alums at least some hope that things will get better. -And I really don't think it has a whole lot to do with fear or living in the past. It's more a matter of people being sick to death of seeing RU used as a test monkey for coaches without prior P5 coaching experience and who really don't have the personality needed to connect with the kind of recruits it'll take to bring things back on track.

Hey, as has been mentioned by others, if by some miracle a guy like Urban Meyer, (or someone on his level), could be lured here I'd sign up for that in a second. -But miracles don't happen very often, (that's why they're known as "miracles"). ...As such, barring the miraculous, what I personally want right now is someone who can immediately inject at least some life into the corpse currently known as Rutgers football. And of course, there could be other candidates out there who might be able to generate a renewed sense of excitement about the program, but Schiano has got to be the surest bet in regards to that.

Hey, let's at least get back to the point of being competitive and not viewed as the biggest joke in college football, and I think GS would be able to get us there, (if, of course, he ends up being the one hired). After that we'll talk about the possibility of bowl games, conference titles, etc. But as they say, "You have to crawl before you can walk", and at present we'd have trouble accomplishing even the first requirement in that little nugget of wisdom.

Last edited:
This board showed a lot of dislike for Politti for years, This board hated everyone that was in
State Penn sports during the molesting years, Now they make an exception for Politti and Schiano.

like this board knows who's been brought in for an interview or will be.

AND Jeff Towers just retweeted the whole Politi article.
Towers just tweeted.
The GregSchiano-Patrick Hobbs marriage can work at Rutgers-if both sides try.!
Balls in your court Patt.
You drop it,back to South Orange you go!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT