ADVERTISEMENT

Stoller is B1G Freshman Of The Week

Well deserved. Kid had a helluva game. He's going to be a great one for us.

The added element he brings is out of the cage play. He picks off passes and helps in ground ball scrums around the cage.

Ballsy play for a frosh

Reactions: Wagram97
Great bounce back game. He struggled a bit vs Any, along with the rest of the defense. Great sign coming off that game for him play the best game of his young career. You never know how a freshman will react when they run into the first hint of adversity. It can be a confidence killer for some but the good ones chalk it up to a learning experience and move on. Looks like he chose the latter. We got a good one.

Reactions: TRU2RU and rufamily
Reactions: bigmatt718
Great bounce back game. He struggled a bit vs Any, along with the rest of the defense. Great sign coming off that game for him play the best game of his young career. You never know how a freshman will react when they run into the first hint of adversity. It can be a confidence killer for some but the good ones chalk it up to a learning experience and move on. Looks like he chose the latter. We got a good one.
part of the issue against Army was their ability to consistently get to the middle of the field. Tough to stop those guys from scoring if they are getting shot from 12 in the middle of the field. Stoller did an excellent job of stopping the savable shots that he saw

That's what I saw. Our sliding left a lot to be desired that game and we often created offense for them either by our shortsticks getting beat or silly horizontal slides at the top of the box that made it target practice. The defense was horrific that day.

But they bounced back in a huge way and cleaned things up a lot against Loyola. Slides were much better as was on ball defense.

If it's in the cards, I know the guys would love another shot at Army. I'm not saying we'd win but I know we would play much better. We laid an egg that day but the important thing is the guys learned from it. Keep developing. There is a reason the season last 4 months. Play our best in April and May.

I saw the same. By no means was Stoller the only or even main issue vs Army. That said, the biggest difference I noticed between Army and Loyola is that there were a few against Army where the defender was on the gloves and gave up an outside shot you normally would count on the goalie to come up with that got through. Against Loyola Stoller made outside shooters look silly.

A lot of that can be attributed to the fact that Army’s middies are much bigger, stronger and more experienced than Loyola’s and they are pretty lethal shooters. But IMO he saw the ball better and played with much more confidence in the Loyola game.

He definitely had more confidence against Loyola. He was clearly seeing the ball really well. We have to remember this was his fourth college game with an entirely new starting defense. All after losing their alpha defender. If Rizzotti can come back to the form he was in pre injury, this defense is going to look a lot different in May.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT