ADVERTISEMENT

Colin Kurdyla Named Big Ten Freshman of the Week

Hold on, I've been told by a lot of lacrosse posters, and even in the media, that Rutgers just relies on transfers and Brecht can't recruit. Now we have another home grown RU recruit win another weekly conference award? What's next, telling me that the top 5 in points/goals this season are all home grown RU recruits.

All kidding aside, great seeing another young RU player getting a weekly conference award. If you go back, does seem like some of the best seasons for RU was when a first year or 2nd year was able to contribute.

Our entire starting lineup is home grown except for Krumenacher / Kelly (when he returns from injury) on attack and Rizzotti (when he returns from injury).

Most of our transfers are at SSDM, fogo and depth pieces at midfield which, outside of a few plug-and-play stud grad transfers, is really where you want to focus in the portal. Dmid and fogo especially. Those are positions where having experienced grown men makes a huge difference.

Either way, congrats to Colin. First of many awards in his career I’m sure.

At the end of the season he's going to be in the discussion for the best freshman in the country. He has a skill set and physical gifts you just can't teach. And he is a hard worker who cares. Sky is the limit for him. He will be a four year AA here. You don't want to put too much pressure on the kid but it's just so obvious when you see him play.

The staff sees it too. They were giving him run at attack against DM. The kid is just very dynamic. 6'3", 200, shoots equally well with both hands, is quick and extremely fast in the open field. By his senior year he's going to be an absolute monster.

Side note about yesterday, Krummancher is starting to look comfortable. It was only DM but still. If he get's going, Kelly comes back to form...the offense is going to be very hard to stop. You can see it evolving as the season is going on.

Last edited:
At the end of the season he's going to be in the discussion for the best freshman in the country. He has a skill set and physical gifts you just can't teach. And he is a hard worker who cares. Sky is the limit for him. He will be a four year AA here. You don't want to put too much pressure on the kid but it's just so obvious when you see him play.

The staff sees it too. They were giving him run at attack against DM. The kid is just very dynamic. 6'3", 200, shoots equally well with both hands, is quick and extremely fast in the open field. By his senior year he's going to be an absolute monster.

Side note about yesterday, Krummancher is starting to look comfortable. It was only DM but still. If he get's going, Kelly comes back to form...the offense is going to be very hard to stop. You can see it evolving as the season is going on.
Watched the game last night and thought the same thing about Krummancher. How key it would be to get him going.

Also, how about that set play with under 10 seconds on the shot clock, for the re-start after the ball went out of bounds, where Scott made one pass to Knobloch for the goal. Those two are just on a whole other level.

They are two pros. Kurdyla having Knobloch to learn from is so big for his development. Knobloch is as two handed as the come and so is Kurdyla. Colin gets a full year to see how Knobloch goes about his business. His play is sublime. The nuance with how he moves pieces of the puzzle around through head fakes, stick fakes, starts and stops is incredible. It's really high level, high IQ lacrosse. Throw in his physical gifts and he's just next level. Colin has all of the physical skills to be in that realm too. It's lofty air believe me.

Reactions: Wagram97
With Krumenacher coming along, the offense doesn’t have a lot of holes. Add in Kelly and it has a chance to be special. Knobloch, Kurdyla, Aimone and Scott are all true two handed players that can create, feed and finish. If Krumenacher can take the next step it adds a much needed initiator on attack. That frees up Kulas to do what he does and simply get his hands free and finish. When Kelly comes back that adds the one piece we are lacking which is the big step down shooter that can take from range if you give him space or bull dodge past defenders if they try to take away the outside shot.

The one thing I would like to see tighten up is our shooting. We had a lot of point blank looks that we didn’t finish. Their goalie played well and kept the game from getting even more out of hand, but it felt like we simply missed the cage on some looks that should have been easy goals. I thought the same vs Hofstra. The weather was pretty crappy for both games so hopefully that explains a lot of it. But we aren’t going to get as many looks from here on out so we’re need to make them count. Nothing worse than dominating everywhere but the scoreboard.

Lately, watching Colin Kurdyla’s rapid growth has been fun to watch. He makes it look so easy that it is hard to believe he is only a true freshman with just a handful of games at this level under his belt. Will be shocked if he is not named AA this year. And if he can stay healthy, sky is the limit for his career.

I'd like to think so of those close misses were weather related. No doubt we have to finish those from here on out. Those opportunities don't come around as much against better teams.

From all reports, Kelly can carry the ball and go at guys. He's not just a hammer from the outside, but people who played with Connor and Bartolo said his outside shot is in that realm of velocity. He's a big kid. Similar size to Bartolo. That skill set is going to be huge addition.

I’ve heard the same regarding Kelly. Cannon of a shot but just as comfortable taking it to the rack.

Having that dynamic is a huge weapon. It draws so much attention from the defense and opens up the whole offense. I think that was the biggest missing piece last year. Cameron filled that role somewhat from the attack spot and when he went down we became much easier to defend. If we can get anything close to what we got from Bartolo out of Kelly, that will be a huge addition.

It's really going to open up things for Ross. The D has just been keying on him so much at the attack spot.

So awesome to watch Colin be an animal for Rutgers and not have to coach against him anymore.

I was high on Kelly ever since I saw him in the Nova scrimmage. If he can make it back to the level he was at in January, he presents an additional headache for defenses. Really big kid who is physical and has a cannon on board. He adds a ton to the offense.

Reactions: Caliknight
These next two games are huge but this may be the staff's greatest work to date, including the Final Four run. We lost our best defenseman who was playing at an elite level, arguably our best SSDM and our second best attackman. You take those three players off any team and it's a major issue. We been able to weather the storm, Army notwithstanding. You can see the team getting better each game. Big one Sunday.

Reactions: Wagram97
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT