ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Te’Rai Powell decommits from Rutgers

if anyone believed this would be easy for schiano they are dreaming

Reactions: czxqa
Again, let me preface this by saying I understand why this type of thing happens with a coaching change, but I think people are downplaying how much this must suck for this kid.

In a normal coaching change a recruit has to know the the new coach might not really want them. In THIS particular case, we got rid of Ash so early, and since then have seen stories about how Nunzio was keeping the current recruiting class committed as the season played out.

So, this kid has been hearing from Nunzio for 8 weeks how he should hang in there for Rutgers, now when his options for other schools may be very limited Nunzio is part of telling him he isn't good enough for Rutgers.

Good luck to the kid. Based on Ash's previous recruiting classes (& their ranking), it's not a surprise that he was encouraged to look somewhere else. Army & Navy are good options and reflect well on his character.

BTW, what was the expectation of where he would have fit in? As an ATH, that could mean anywhere from RB/WR to CB/S, while his film seems to slant to playing defense, including LB. Just wondering since I've basically tuned out this recruiting class since at least last spring.

Again, let me preface this by saying I understand why this type of thing happens with a coaching change, but I think people are downplaying how much this must suck for this kid.

In a normal coaching change a recruit has to know the the new coach might not really want them. In THIS particular case, we got rid of Ash so early, and since then have seen stories about how Nunzio was keeping the current recruiting class committed as the season played out.

So, this kid has been hearing from Nunzio for 8 weeks how he should hang in there for Rutgers, now when his options for other schools may be very limited Nunzio is part of telling him he isn't good enough for Rutgers.

I know in his shoes I would be devastated, especially if the previous HC was telling me I was going to be a star. Only a heartless psychopath of a coach would relish doing this to a kid but ultimately this is the nature of the business and it IS a business. For anyone who dismisses his feelings, if the shoe were on the other foot and the kid had blown up his senior year and a blue blood came along and offered and then he walked we would be pissed too.

. . . .

Exactly, we have heard on this board that he was offered by Army and Navy, who knows if those are still available. This kid might be in full scramble mode at this point. I don't blame him one bit for his reaction.

Since virtually everyone has said that Ash was a terrible recruiter, not hard to imagine GS is looking for his own players. Only so many ships to go round.

Here's how it was phrased to the young man.:"If you decide to stay,with the new HC you, and a number of other recruits, will be issued KEVLAR underpants as part of your equipment."ADDED at 4:40PM: I know that this is a little deep for most posters but KBEE GOT IT. Do I really have to spell it out guys?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kbee3
NJ.com is queuing up their February story about this kid and the downside to big-time football at Rutgers. One of those "be careful what you ask for" hit pieces.

Reactions: Bagarocks

Yeah, but the final signing period is still months away. So it is better to know now so he can go elsewhere.

As we all know it works both ways, no one is really committed until it is signed and faxed in.

Yeah, but the final signing period is still months away. So it is better to know now so he can go elsewhere.

As we all know it works both ways, no one is really committed until it is signed and faxed in.
I get it, but the point I was making is that the guy (Nunzio) who was convincing him to NOT explore his options for the last 8 weeks is one of the guys telling him he isn't good enough with less than 2 weeks left. That's what makes this particular situation different from a normal coaching change.

Never burn your bridges. And neither should we. Some of our fans constantly do do by attacking these hs players

Reactions: soundcrib
By the way who knows the story. All the speculation is nuts. Maybe schiano wanted him and the kid said no thanks. Who knows maybe they expect him to come back to the fold.

Reactions: mildone
How can we even let one kid go as we have nobody right now???

Because the new HC believes the young man is not a fit? Sucks but with the current roster and lack of scholarships he's probably hoping to land better options after the 1st signing day or add transfers.

His "tweet" is the world we live in. Did he have to use the language he did, no. It creates the impression he wanted, with no way to prove him right or wrong.

It's better for a new HC to be honest in their assessment when talking to recruits the previous regime recruited and accepted a verbal, than let the kid come not knowing that the new HC didn't think he'd be a good fit for the type of program that would be run.

If the recruit committed mainly for the value of a Rutgers education, he could stay committed and do his best to change the staff's opinion about his talent during practices.
If playing time is a major factor and football is more of the reason for committing instead of academic pursuit, the recruit needs to find a program besides Rutgers if the HC's honest assessment shows he's considered more
of a bench-warmer that one that can make the rotation.

Reactions: Dpgru
I know in his shoes I would be devastated, especially if the previous HC was telling me I was going to be a star. Only a heartless psychopath of a coach would relish doing this to a kid but ultimately this is the nature of the business and it IS a business. For anyone who dismisses his feelings, if the shoe were on the other foot and the kid had blown up his senior year and a blue blood came along and offered and then he walked we would be pissed too.

bottom line is he still had the option of coming and honoring the scholarship, he chose not to because ultimately it likely was not going to be good for his football playing career. If the coaches are being honest with him and saying we will honor the scholarship but ultimately we feel you will never see the field, thats a choice that he has to make.

This is not a good start for Schiano.
New kids are not impressed with him.
Word is going to spread that he can't relate to teenagers and kids are going to stay away now.
Not sure what we can do to change his image.
I was up but this really hurts my confidence of this program going forward.

Word is going to spread that he can't relate to teenagers and kids are going to stay away now.

On the Internet, flamebait is a "posting" or note on a Web site discussion forum, an online bulletin board, a Usenet newsgroup, or other public forum that is intended to elicit the extremely strong responses characteristic of flaming and active public discussions. To be effective, flamebait should be a bit subtle (but not too subtle) so that potential flamers will "take the bait." This term is similar to troll, which is an effort to get a reaction from readers but not necessarily for the purpose of eliciting flames.

https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/flamebait

giphy.gif

I hope you gonna be ok, you sound distraught

Go root for another team.

giphy.gif

iu

Wtf dude

Reactions: hoquat63
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT