ADVERTISEMENT

The biggest determinant of college football success is Money

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
Coach Prime has it. We don’t. Key players in his TCU victory were Shadeur Sanders and Travis Hunter. Took lots of money to get both on the roster.

USC did something similar when they recruited Caleb Williams and Jordan Addison, to quickly bolster the roster with top notch talent.

In our case, we’ve got people ready to run their mouth on the messageboard. But no one to provide top notch talent, like USC and Colorado boo$ter$ did. And that’s what matters most.

Ours will continue to be a slow build, as we continue to work to develop the mostly 2 and 3* recruits we get. Want to see better results faster? Pony Up. That’s the bottom line.

2,000 people donating $5,000, gives us a $10M NIL budget to accelerate the progress of the football program.

To support Rutgers NIL, follow this link:

Last edited:
Coach Prime has it. We don’t. Key players in his TCU victory were Shadeur Sanders and Travis Hunter. Took lots of money to get both on the roster.

USC did something similar when they recruited Caleb Williams and Jordan Addison, to quickly bolster the roster with top notch talent.

In our case, we’ve got people ready to run their mouth on the messageboard. But no one to provide top notch talent, like USC and Colorado boo$ter$ did. And that’s what matters most.

Ours will continue to be a slow build, as we continue to work to develop the mostly 2 and 3* recruits we get. Want to see better results faster? Pony Up. That’s the bottom line.

2,000 people donating $5,000, gives us a $10M NIL budget to accelerate the progress of the football program.
Al gets it.

(And I can’t believe I’m saying that)

Money helps a lot but it's not everything. How has A&M been doing with all the money they've been throwing around? Now Fisher has hired Bobby Petrino as OC and now maybe that will help. Miami with all the money they've thrown around recently? They fired Gattis and hired Shannon Dawson, a Leach guy by way of Holgorsen, and that might help.

Money is useful in erasing mistakes etc..but if you don't use it wisely it's just another wasted resource like anything else.

I must've missed all the money Cincy has been throwing around to get their BCS bowls and playoff run. Oregon State and their 10 win season. WSU when Leach did well there and won double digit games. WF while they've had a nice run? If anything money comes after some success not before. Look at Kansas after decade of futility and one 6 win season and suddenly I see plans for a makeover of the area around the stadium.

First you have to figure out ways to make it work with what you have then you might see an increase in funding resources. Regardless even after some success, the strata of CFB is largely the same and you still have to make it work with what you have and do more with less. Transfer portal using castoffs of higher status programs, upgrades for players from lower status programs, offensive systems that are easier to pick up and plug and play into etc...

I don't subscribe to this woe is me attitude. We don't have this that or the other thing. Were so many born on 3rd base? Figure out how to make your way in the world and do the best with whatever you got and lift yourself up.

Key to success = An amazing QB. That’s what all the winning teams have. Our season rides on Winsatt.

Money is important, but it's only part of the issue. USC is a destination for talented players. Lincoln Riley is an elite offensive coach who has developed Heisman winning QBs. With most of the successful programs, it's not JUST a matter of throwing money at players. Building a championship roster has 3 basic steps: evaluation, acquisition, and development. Successful programs are good at all three. Texas ATM's disappointing season last year is a cautionary tale.

Reactions: retired711
This is what college football has come down to, unfortunately.

This is what college football has always been.
Not sure why people think this is a new thing with NIL.

Want to get rid of Coach Flood? Coach Ash?
Fans need to pony.
"We would fire the coach but the fans haven't given us the money to pay for the mistake we made in hiring him."

"We want to stay competitive in recruiting and renovate the locker rooms, weight rooms but the fans haven't given us the money to pay for it."

“Want HC Schiano? Fans need to pony up and pay for his salary.”

Money helps a lot but it's not everything. How has A&M been doing with all the money they've been throwing around? Now Fisher has hired Bobby Petrino as OC and now maybe that will help. Miami with all the money they've thrown around recently? They fired Gattis and hired Shannon Dawson, a Leach guy by way of Holgorsen, and that might help.

Money is useful in erasing mistakes etc..but if you don't use it wisely it's just another wasted resource like anything else.

I must've missed all the money Cincy has been throwing around to get their BCS bowls and playoff run. Oregon State and their 10 win season. WSU when Leach did well there and won double digit games. WF while they've had a nice run? If anything money comes after some success not before. Look at Kansas after decade of futility and one 6 win season and suddenly I see plans for a makeover of the area around the stadium.

First you have to figure out ways to make it work with what you have then you might see an increase in funding resources. Regardless even after some success, the strata of CFB is largely the same and you still have to make it work with what you have and do more with less. Transfer portal using castoffs of higher status programs, upgrades for players from lower status programs, offensive systems that are easier to pick up and plug and play into etc...

I don't subscribe to this woe is me attitude. We don't have this that or the other thing. Were so many born on 3rd base? Figure out how to make your way in the world and do the best with whatever you got and lift yourself up.
I’ve been saying this for years but I’ve been told that those are anomalies and that in the real world, legit coaches need 5 years to get a program to 6 wins to truly turn a program around.

I was going to post this to show how television money has ruined the game by forcing rule changes to take away almost have the number of plays. But I was wrong.

Reactions: BoogieKnight

Fans need to pony.
"We would fire the coach but the fans haven't given us the money to pay for the mistake we made in hiring him."

"We want to stay competitive in recruiting and renovate the locker rooms, weight rooms but the fans haven't given us the money to pay for it."

You're right and if anything NIL has opened the door "theoretically" for anyone to use whereas before it was pretty much shut for everyone but the top status programs.

Reactions: NickRU714
I’ve been saying this for years but I’ve been told that those are anomalies and that in the real world, legit coaches need 5 years to get a program to 6 wins to truly turn a program around.

I was going to post this to show how television money has ruined the game by forcing rule changes to take away almost have the number of plays. But I was wrong.

I mentioned this in the games thread. Even Chip Kelly was like we only got a few series in the first half. I think games have moved along quicker after seeing week 1 but I saw some games that still had 60-80 snaps per team. So it depends. Some will have fewer snaps and others will probably be about the same but all won't be at high volume like it was before.

This is what fckin sucks watching college football. They eliminated the clock stoppage after first down for "player safety" and to make the "game quicker" when in reality it was only for increases in ads during breaks.

Agree with the premise but I dont think it took money to get his son to come to Jackson State or Colorado lol.

Colorado has plenty of time to rack up 510 yards in the air

Fans need to pony.

For the 100th time Nick, the GS-1 tenure DID NOT have to deal with the free agent portal and the immediate eligibility of transfers.
It’s a huge difference.

For the 100th time Nick, the GS-1 tenure DID NOT have to deal with the free agent portal and no the immediate eligibility of transfers.
It’s a huge difference.
I don't see that as a bad thing but actually a good thing when I see how much more has flowed to the lower status teams.

I think it's been a better resource pool for lower status teams than higher status ones.

Although Oregon and Oklahoma managed to put up 81 and 73 points respectively yesterday.

Agree the overall CFB product has been ruined though.

This is what fckin sucks watching college football. They eliminated the clock stoppage after first down for "player safety" and to make the "game quicker" when in reality it was only for increases in ads during breaks.
Commercials for gambling sites are ultimately the point.

Reactions: RUAir-Raid
Colorado's two largest NIL players - Shedeur and Hunter were with Sander's before the bigger NIL deals. In HS Hunter didn't always know where he was sleeping and eating. For a lot of these players Sanders is the father they never had. Sanders was suicidal at one point in his life. Then he saw he had to be a new person and seek transformation. As someone who went through that, he's able to be credible to players he wants to show the way to. I never knew Sanders much during his playing days and it was seeing him on Bear Grylls that I realized he was a deeper thinker than the image suggested.

To support Rutgers NIL, follow this link:

You need to stop posting. You make this board more unenjoyable then the political guys

This is the tired drum Al keeps beating: it all comes down to talent and talent comes down to money. It doesn't all come down to talent. Coaching matters. Coaches aren't just recruiters.

This is the tired drum Al keeps beating: it all comes down to talent and talent comes down to money. It doesn't all come down to talent. Coaching matters. Coaches aren't just recruiters.
Coaching doesn’t matter if they don’t have adequate talent to work with, and this is what you fail to understand. Urban Meyer isn’t taking Rutgers talent and beating Ohio State.

• Haha
Reactions: brgRC90
Coaching doesn’t matter if they don’t have adequate talent to work with, and this is what you fail to understand. Urban Meyer isn’t taking Rutgers talent and beating Ohio State.
And talent doesn't matter if the coaching is awful. See: Charlie Weis, many, many others. That's what you fail to understand. And stop talking about beating Ohio State. I'm talking first about beating non-elite teams and coaching up players. See: Pikiell.

And talent doesn't matter if the coaching is awful. See, Charlie Weis, many, many others. That's what you fail to understand. And stop talking about beating Ohio State. I'm talking first about beating non-elite teams and coaching up players. See: Pikiell.
We’re not losing games because the coaching is awful. We’re losing games because there is t enough talent.

That's what you think.
That’s what I know. Our talent level is better than Northwesterns
Which is why we’re going to win this game.

It’s the Michigan’s and Wisconsins where we are going to have issues because we don’t have enough talent to compete.

That’s what I know. Our talent level is better than Northwesterns
Which is why we’re going to win this game.

It’s the Michigan’s and Wisconsins where we are going to have issues because we don’t have enough talent to compete.
In 2007 I watched a Schiano team with Ray Rice, a guy who led the Baltimore Ravens to a Superbowl win, and two guys who played as WR in the NFL lose to Connecticut, a team that had far less talent, in the rain. That game spoke volumes to me. That team went 7-5 with a pretty soft schedule. I saw that happen a lot with Schiano over years. Schiano under-utilizes talent on game day. Coaching matters. It's why I don't think a Schiano-led team will ever be better than mediocre.

In 2007 I watched a Schiano team with Ray Rice, a guy who led the Baltimore Ravens to a Superbowl win, and two guys who played as WR in the NFL lose to Connecticut, a team that had far less talent, in the rain. That game spoke volumes to me. That team went 7-5 with a pretty soft schedule. I saw that happen a lot with Schiano over years. Schiano under-utilizes talent on game day. Coaching matters. It's why I don't think a Schiano-led team will ever be better than mediocre.
This point would be better made on a day we weren’t beating the opposition 24-0. I don’t know of a coach that doesn’t have a bad loss.

NIL is important. But long term success requires the school to invest in the football program at a high level.

Look at the most successful programs in the Big Ten. Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State and Penn State. All have invested hundreds of millions going back decades.

It is a team effort.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT