ADVERTISEMENT

The Garden is ours

sct1111

All American
Nov 30, 2014
Tonight we showed that out fanbase can be a force to be reckoned with. The Garden was rocking and it was rocking for Rutgers. Recruits will see this. The college basketball community will see this. It was a special few days.

Our future is bright!

Seemed more like 19,000 turned out in the snow. The place was rocking.

But don't most of our fans bitch when we have to play there 1 time a year? "We gave up a home game vs. Wisky" we darn near won.

I sat in a sideline section by myself vs. Fordham last year. And the tourny may never be back there.

But don't most of our fans bitch when we have to play there 1 time a year? "We gave up a home game vs. Wisky" we darn near won.

I sat in a sideline section by myself vs. Fordham last year. And the tourny may never be back there.

unfortunately we have trouble getting more than 3500 for a home conference game against Iowa on a Wednesday...we need to start by filling the RAC and not have our fans make excuses why they cannot go during the week..and that goes for students too, they sort of bailed on team after showing a few times

I had some of the most fun I’ve ever had at Rutgers sporting events in YEARS this past week. The Garden had “juice” and I can’t imagine how insane it would be if we played that tournament with a team that had some prior success. Rutgers attendance would’ve been double. Easily.

unfortunately we have trouble getting more than 3500 for a home conference game against Iowa on a Wednesday...we need to start by filling the RAC and not have our fans make excuses why they cannot go during the week..and that goes for students too, they sort of bailed on team after showing a few times
Yup...understand. still like the ooc holiday tourney/couches v cancer participation game there though.

Or make it an event game...that is coming later

Reactions: scottsdaleal
They'll show up when they start winning. And they'll show up in droves. Get a little hype like these past few days and the RAC will rock like it did against Seton Hall this year. So much potential with this program. Even moreseo than football IMO.

Reactions: S_Janowski
I know we don't have many road games that are close anymore. I remember regularly filling 1 or 2 busses for the court club for games in Rhode island, mass, Philly, etc. when I was a kid. The demand just isn't there for our fans to travel well. I think a lot has to do with how old our fan base is.

sorry I missed the fun..... I did go to the NIT we made in Douby's first year, and that was a memorable experience...... after we won the first game, a ton of fans streamed down to the ticket office to pick up tickets for the next game..... the streets and bars were alive with RU fans....I imagine this was the same.

I doubt the B1G returns to MSG anytime soon for the tourney..... it probably does not like playing second fiddle, schedule wise, to the Big East....

Addressed this in another thread. Bottom line keep improving the product should be the priority then we can think about marquee OCC match ups in venues like MSG.

as a side note, I think this shows that the post season NIT is making a big mistake not inviting a local team with a slightly better than .500 record, and hoping that team advances..... we would bring over 10,000 fans to the semis or finals.

I did not check the last year NIT attendance, but I know that the crowd is typically very bad for the event, when they wind up with two teams from out of the area

for example, the 2015 game, Stanford versus Miami, drew 6,600

.....yes, the quality of teams might be a bit better with what they are doing now, but they could have an exciting final, with a near full house, with a local team, providing they make it

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
The garden was ours in the mid 70s starting with Phil and ending with James Bailey. Go back and look at the games and crowds, even after NYC legend Phil sellers and 76 finished up

Nit run in 2003 showed it again

Last night again

If we ever get this thing going again ...the garden is going to be our second home court again

The garden was ours in the mid 70s starting with Phil and ending with James Bailey. Go back and look at the games and crowds, even after NYC legend Phil sellers and 76 finished up

Nit run in 2003 showed it again

Last night again

If we ever get this thing going again ...the garden is going to be our second home court again
It started with our first NIT in 1967 with the best backcourt in the country, Bobby Lloyd and Jimmy V. We rocked the garden for 3 nights.

Could it possibly be that we have a lot of fans/alums that work in NYC and cannot possibly make a weeknight game at the RAC? That is why we should have more weekend B1G games.

Later starting time helped each night. Not rocket science.

Disgageee. As great as the crowds were we would have had MORE fans with the 6:30 starts. Bet on it. The crowds were about the excitement that’s back in the program AND being at MSG for first time since 2014 with and no chance of being back to NYC, at best, until 2023. I know dozens and dozens who woulda made it in for the 6:30 start, families in tow, but stayed home instead PLUS you have a lot more alumni who work in the city and would stuck around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT