ADVERTISEMENT

The Yard @ College Avenue Restaurants Announced

Leonard23

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
@Cofifa
What happened to Surf Taco? Wasn't there also mention of a possible retail/clothes or electronics store & convenience store?

http://www.njbiz.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...e-project-in-new-brunswick&template=mobileart

The seven tenants are:

• Bella’s Burger Shack, a made-to-order burger restaurant, 1,705 square feet;
  • honeygrow, a farm-to-fork eatery, 2,311 square feet;
  • House of Cupcakes cupcake and dessert company, 677 square feet;
  • Jersey Mike’s Subs sandwich chain, undisclosed square footage;
  • Krispy Pizza pizzeria chain, 1,265 square feet;
  • RU Hungry, owner of the famed grease truck, 1,062 square feet; and
  • Starbucks coffee chain, 2,096 square feet.

@Cofifa
What happened to Surf Taco? Wasn't there also mention of a possible retail/clothes or electronics store & convenience store?

http://www.njbiz.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...e-project-in-new-brunswick&template=mobileart

The seven tenants are:

• Bella’s Burger Shack, a made-to-order burger restaurant, 1,705 square feet;
  • honeygrow, a farm-to-fork eatery, 2,311 square feet;
  • House of Cupcakes cupcake and dessert company, 677 square feet;
  • Krispy Pizza pizzeria chain, 1,265 square feet;
  • RU Hungry, owner of the famed grease truck, 1,062 square feet; and
  • Starbucks coffee chain, 2,096 square feet.
I'm putting money on the cupcake store to close first (which should've been named Sugar Rush anyway)
Is Krispy Pizza one of those chains found in states that don't know a good tasting pie from piece of cardboard? Likewise Jersey Mikes are for people who mistakenly call a sub a hoagie?

Reactions: MidwestKnights
I'm putting money on the cupcake store to close first (which should've been named Sugar Rush anyway)
Is Krispy Pizza one of those chains found in states that don't know a good tasting pie from piece of cardboard? Likewise Jersey Mikes are for people who mistakenly call a sub a hoagie?
If there is one thing New Brunswick needs more of, it's pizza places....
/s

Just had Krispy pizza today for lunch in freehold. They will blow away places like Jimmy's pizza.

What are the closing times for these places?

these are only executed leases. I am confident Surf Taco will be announced soon. Krispy Pizza is a family run business with several NYC and NJ locations. We are still talking to a electronics and or convience store operation. We had to nick a convience store option because to many conflicts. We have set minimum hours not maximum hours . We expect most operators will stay open until midnight on weekdays and latter on weekends. Everyone must be open before lunch. Honey Grow will be a welcome addition to NB

these are only executed leases. I am confident Surf Taco will be announced soon. Krispy Pizza is a family run business with several NYC and NJ locations. We are still talking to a electronics and or convience store operation. We had to nick a convience store option because to many conflicts. We have set minimum hours not maximum hours . We expect most operators will stay open until midnight on weekdays and latter on weekends. Everyone must be open before lunch. Honey Grow will be a welcome addition to NB
That's good to hear that Surf Taco is still in the mix. Are there 2 vacancies remaining to fill, including Surf Taco?

Bella's Burger Shack is good (Shake Shack is better), as I've eaten at their Basking Ridge location, & they have more than just hamburgers & fries with options like pulled pork, ahi tuna, cheese steak, hot dogs, grilled chicken, chicken fingers, onion rings, mozzarella sticks, shakes, ice cream & other desserts. I hope there aren't too many other burger places that they're competing with & their location benefits them to stay in business.

Seems like a good mix. Agree that the cupcake place will likely come and go within three years - frankly, I thought the whole boutique cupcake moment had passed already.

Great to sea one of the Grease trucks in there.

Krispy grandma slice blows away any other pizza place in the area.

Good to hear about Surf Taco.

Never had Bellas but the NB burger market seems overly saturated at this point with Burger Fi and The Counter.

House of Cupcakes started in Princeton and won Cupcake Wars on Food Network. Believe they have a second location in East Bruns.

Awesome news to get a grease truck store back in this lot!

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
This looks like a good set of tenants, Honeygrow is intriguing. While the cupcake fad has passed House of Cupcake has made it work at Princeton, I would not count them out yet.

Reactions: RU22
Anyone know what ever happened to little teddies?

I used to speak with a relative of the owner and they planned to reopen in NB. I haven't spoken to him in years, curious what happened...place was gRear

Anyone know what ever happened to little teddies?

I used to speak with a relative of the owner and they planned to reopen in NB. I haven't spoken to him in years, curious what happened...place was gRear

That is a good question. After the fire, I had heard they were looking at a possible spot along Easton Ave. Obviously, nothing came of that. Their subs were great, especially the roast beef. Always a nice medium rare.

Personally, I am not a fan of House of Cupcakes any longer. When they were first getting started, the cake was wonderfully soft and the icing was creamy. The past two times, I found the cake was more like a pre-mixed, frozen type. The icing was more sugar and food coloring than cream and natural flavors.

That's the spirit.

Reactions: ScarletDave
@Cofifa
What happened to Surf Taco? ;
Likewise Jersey Mikes are for people who mistakenly call a sub a hoagie?
If you ask me...with all the good stuff Pete Cancro does (a lot of it most of us don't even hear about), not a bad group to be associated with.

Oh, and I still LOATHE the name "the yard". LOL

Reactions: MidwestKnights
Seems like a good mix. Agree that the cupcake place will likely come and go within three years - frankly, I thought the whole boutique cupcake moment had passed already.

Great to sea one of the Grease trucks in there.
cupcake place sells ice cream and candy etc also

cupcake place sells ice cream and candy etc also

Sounds like they're trying to compete with Thomas Sweets.
Surf Taco is completing with Bubbakoos.
Starbucks to compete with Hidden Grounds and ABP.
Krispy Pizza to compete with Gerlandas, Skinny Vinny's, etc.
Jersey Mikes to complete with Jimmy Johns.

Burger Shack, RU Hungry, Honeygrow seem to be the only ones without direct competitors already established.

Starbucks isn't competing with anyone... they are starbucks lol. This is the 3rd Starbucks in a 4 block radius and it will still do fine.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
The new burger place has a lot of competition also with The Counter and Burger-Fi.

Burger Fi wasn't very good, I like The Counter better, shame for that location though.

By the way, I went to The Piazza in Philly which Cofifa has talked about a lot with regard to this project. Seemed like a lot of vacancies?

Burgerfi closed but the burger joint on Easton with the car on the roof is still open

Wow that was quick. I ate at the Counter recently and was pretty good. I had the bison which should be on burger menus everywhere.

Am I the only one who thinks a retail clothing store would be a good idea? Where can you walk to in all of New Brunswick for a decent clothing option? I think a few groups of clothing stores would kill it and not just attract students.

your one hundred percent spot on but we have tried in vain...there is a commission out there from someone who can help us land a clothier...you can't buy Jeans, shoes, a tie, a belt in NB......

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
your one hundred percent spot on but we have tried in vain...there is a commission out there from someone who can help us land a clothier...you can't buy Jeans, shoes, a tie, a belt in NB......
I don't think that a clothing store in that location would be a good mix because students are fickle and all have clothes shopping habits that they are loathe to change. Minor purchases like shoelaces, socks or an emergency pair of shoes can be had in downtown NB or they can take the bus to Sears.

I don't think that a clothing store in that location would be a good mix because students are fickle and all have clothes shopping habits that they are loathe to change. Minor purchases like shoelaces, socks or an emergency pair of shoes can be had in downtown NB or they can take the bus to Sears.

Don't forget how severely downplayed the amount of online shopping is done these days... It's easy for kids in dorms to pick up packages and walk to the RU post offices and off campus students can have delivery straight to their house if needed.

Sorry the bus to Sears comment had me laughing... lol.

Reactions: Korbermeister
competition is great. OTOH, I'd like to see more variety in NB rather than just a few kinds of stores. But it's not easy to do given the realities of a college shopping district in an area that is not affluent.

yes the Urban Outfitters issue is a sore subject but we are hampered by the Malls already being home to many of the stores we would lie. When we get TheHub@NewBrunswickStation underway there is programmed 100,000sf of retail (potentially more) and that will hopefully create enough critical mass to sustain a shopping district with some entertainment

PARKING-PARKING-PARKING

Where is a clothing customer supposed to park? Rutgers students are only on campus for 7/8 months....but you have to pay rent for 12. New Brunswick is missing the boat with NO PARKING north of the Gateway deck. That parking is accessed next to the train station. One tiny off street lot on Easton was given to the Aspire?? With all the malls nearby, it has to be easier to attract shoppers. $3.50 an hour and several blocks away won't cut it

All the food sounds great and should do well

Damn, that Knight statue would look awesome at the front of The Yard!

Reactions: RU at the shore
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT