ADVERTISEMENT

There are no Cupcakes

BillyC80

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
There are teams that will lose a lot more than they win (like Rutgers), but no opponent is a cakewalk in every single game they play.

There are tons of great basketball players out there, and you have to be pretty good to make it onto a Div 1 college team. Some may not have the depth of quality players that other schools have, but on any given night one or two of their players can get hot, while the better team is cold.

That’s what happened last night. Yes, RU could have and probably should have won by a lot more than 2 points, but give Bryant some credit. They took it to us, both inside and out, and by fouling us 25 times kept us out of rhythm and put us at the FT line where we suck.

It was a good lesson for our guys, to realize they have to bring their best every time, and not to assume we should win just because we’re the “better” team playing at home.

So, while we did not eat cake last night, we did eat some humble pie, and that might be a good thing.

Reactions: RUPsyched
There are teams that will lose a lot more than they win (like Rutgers), but no opponent is a cakewalk in every single game they play.

There are tons of great basketball players out there, and you have to be pretty good to make it onto a Div 1 college team. Some may not have the depth of quality players that other schools have, but on any given night one or two of their players can get hot, while the better team is cold.

That’s what happened last night. Yes, RU could have and probably should have won by a lot more than 2 points, but give Bryant some credit. They took it to us, both inside and out, and by fouling us 25 times kept us out of rhythm and put us at the FT line where we suck.

It was a good lesson for our guys, to realize they have to bring their best every time, and not to assume we should win just because we’re the “better” team playing at home.

So, while we did not eat cake last night, we did eat some humble pie, and that might be a good thing.
The 3 point shot and foul shooting kept Bryant in the game and prevented Rutgers from having a double digit win.

Reactions: BillyC80
The 3 point shot and foul shooting kept Bryant in the game and prevented Rutgers from having a double digit win.
Yes, the better team went cold after getting a 16-point lead, and to Bryant’s credit they kept battling and firing away, hitting 13 of 35 threes.

Bryant also had 40 rebounds, 16 assists, 8 steals and 9 blocks on us. A cupcake would not have been able to do that.

The Bryant coach called a timeout around the time they got within nine, and I said why are you stopping the clock, give up already,you lost

Well, that is why I am not a coach....

Bryant played hack-a-Shaq on us. They know we can't shoot from 3, and can't make a foul shot. Very solid game plan and it was this close to being a disaster for us.

Reactions: BillyC80
Relevance is there is no excuse for Geo to be playing that poorly vs Bryant
I do wonder what’s up with Geo sometimes. He took an 0-fer on treys last night, which is something he’s done occasionally.

I believe he made 2 sots down the stretch. I know one of them was his patented step back jumper

Balanced attacks are good but not sure what we ran last night is good for winning games. I still think Geo should be our primary option especially end game until Montez and Harper can show conspiracy. They arent there yet.

Two years ago, Rutgers beat Bryant 83-54 and Geo had 29 points on 10-14 shooylting as a freshmen

Two years ago, Bryant was a 3-win team whose coach ended up being fired. Last year, they were a 10-win team under a new coach, who has almost completely turned over the roster in two seasons. Only Grant and Ngumba were on the team we beat by 29; they were the leading scorers two years ago as sophomores and are now seniors.

Not saying that Bryant is a great team, but they're not the team we played 2 years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT