ADVERTISEMENT

This was a good week for our crazy darkhorse season

seels2662

Hall of Famer
Silver Member
Aug 17, 2005
Before I start, this is fun messageboard chatter, so please we don't need the "we are never getting into the playoff so why talk about it" posts.

So I have mentioned this before, there is a very thin line we have to walk on for any chance of our pie in the sky season in which we get into the playoffs as the darkhorse people predicted. First, I think the only chance is a 10-2 season, there will be too many 9-3 teams that will be taken over us, and 11-1 or 12-0 is asking for too much. Second, we will not be any better than 4th in this league, to ask OSU+Michigan+PSU+Oregon+Iowa to all falter is also asking for too much. One, maybe two can falter ok but not like 5. In my "thin line" prediction I am predicting a 5th place, even a 6th place if everything falls right could happen.

So two scenarios have to happen: 1)the ACC MUST be a 1 bid league, and 2)The SEC needs to eat their own, have two undefeated or 11-1 teams in their championship game, and the rest are 8-4 type teams. This will also allow the choice of either the B12 being a 1 bid league (which most are predicting) or Notre Dame falters, you would not need both, especially if we end up the 5th place B1G team instead of the 6th place team.

So a bunch of things happened that are good for us this week:

-FSU is now 0-2 and is more than likely already out
-VT lost, which means we can take them out of playoff contention ourselves
-ND beat Texas A&M, now A&M can be that 5-3 team in conference that beats everybody up in league and still has no chance to get in
-LSU losing is huge as well, we now have a second team that can do that
-Also ND has a bunch of ACC games on their schedule most notably GT and Louisville, so having them look good also benefits us
-Clemson losing to Georgia, that was predicted, but Georgia can be that one undefeated team in the SEC knocking off a bunch of highly ranked teams while having another ACC team lose

To me only two things happened that hurt us a little:

-Minnesota lost to UNC on a last second field goal, we can't have the Tar Heels go on a run and be that second team in the ACC
-USC looked real good, if they go on a run that would mean we would have to beat USC in a game we will be a huge underdog in

All in all, not a bad first week for the ones holding on that glimmer of hope that we could truly be that darkhorse playoff team.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.