ADVERTISEMENT

tOSU/VT Fri 11/10

Leonard23

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
ESPN+ overhead camera sucks. Not sure I can watch an entire dual like this.

Ventresca was having a hard time on bottom too.
Bouzakis tough but Latona just a good, technical vet. Mendez looking very tough so far.

Reactions: Leonard23
Mendez is a unit. He's torquing mason right now. No clue where Moore is in relation to these guys but might be a weight to get bonus at.

Ventresca was having a hard time on bottom too.
Bouzakis tough but Latona just a good, technical vet. Mendez looking very tough so far.
Bouzakis didn't look good. He's supposed to be very aggressive but no shots until late and then took a really bad/lazy shot to get taken down. Ultimately got a late takedown but too late. He was so much smaller too.

Andonian is nasty. Upset at 65. No hepner but OSU still wins.
Big match at 74 starting.

Big crowd at VT. ESPN+ audio is weak as you can't really hear the crowd much.

Think we can win 25, 41, 65, 84, 97 and 285
Not winning 49, 57 or 74. Doubt 33 but never know

We match up very well w v tech. I think we win that match.
My gut feeling is VT is gonna duck somebody. If Mekhi’s family didn’t live around the corner from Rutgers I would think he’d sit out. Turley wrestled him tight at nationals

Think we can win 25, 41, 65, 84, 97 and 285
Not winning 49, 57 or 74. Doubt 33 but never know
Agree, 25 and 65 toss ups, but home mat advantage think we have edge. 141-if Mason wrestles, Moore big favorite. Mac Church is the starter, still might favor Moore. Soldano favorite and Poz toss up(would also favor him). Cannot wait.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
My gut feeling is VT is gonna duck somebody. If Mekhi’s family didn’t live around the corner from Rutgers I would think he’d sit out. Turley wrestled him tight at nationals
If they duck, I think they lose the match. Like the above poster, I think we win 25,41,84,97,heavy. Toss up at 65. They got hammers at 49,57,74. Those will be tough matches for us. If they sit one of those weights I'd think it's tough for them to win the dual.

Last edited:
If they suck they lose the match. I think like the above poster, we win 25,41,84,97,heavy. Toss up at 65. They got hammers at 49,57,74. Those will be tough matches for us. If they sit one of those weights I'd think it's tough for them to win the dual.
I don’t think a lot teams care about non conference duals. Hope I’m wrong.

We will beat Va Tech. They did not look good tonight. Both highly ranked Ventresca and Latonoa have already lost to redshirt freshman. With a loud home crowd we could really dominate them.

Prediction

125 Peterson majors Ventresca 4-0 (knows him from high school)
133. Latonoa beats Shawver 4-3 (Dylan keeps it close)
141 Moore pins Mason 10-3 (Headlock for a Pin)
149 Henson majors Bulter 10-7 (Henson really good)
157 Andonian majors Clark 10-11 (Andonian too strong for Clark)
165 Brady beats White 10-14 (White keeps it close)
174 Lewis beats Turley 10-17 (Turley tires in third)
184 Soldano majors Fisher 14-17 (Soldano being Soldano)
197 Poz beats Smith 17-17 (Poz has energy back)
UNL Slavikouski beats Catka 20-17 (Yas too much for Catka)

Where is Mullen in the rotation at Virginia tech hwt?
He was in street clothes. He's on the football team so he's not even practicing wrestling yet. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and he's doing both now.

He was in street clothes. He's on the football team so he's not even practicing wrestling yet. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and he's doing both now.
I think he's doing both. I saw something on Flo. when they were raising money for the families in Hawaii.

It’s almost impossible to train both simultaneously at the college level. Not sure what his plans are long term but I would imagine we rarely see him until 2nd semester through his career.

Hopefully we have another night like this!! Jan 2011 Ru won the toss ups and had some upsets!

PISCATAWAY — The No. 8 Rutgers University wrestling team pulled off one of its biggest dual victories in program history as it knocked off No. 3 Virginia Tech, 24-7, in front of 2,739 fans at the Louis Brown Athletic Center last night.

“It was a big win for us in front of a great crowd at the RAC,” head coach Scott Goodale said. “Virginia Tech has a great team, but our guys dug deep and came through in a lot of big matches for us.”

No. 18 Alex Caruso’s win at 174 pounds was a key turning point. Caruso got cut above his left eye in the first period against Matt Epperly. Despite a few stoppages to fix the cut, Caruso hung on for the 3-2 victory which handed the Scarlet Knights a 15-7 lead in the meet.

After a scoreless first, Caruso began down to start the second and earned a quick escape to score the match’s first points. Caruso earned a takedown with 20 seconds left and Epperly escaped with four seconds remaining to send the match to the third with a 3-1 score in favor of Caruso. Epperly started down to begin the third and quickly escaped to cut the lead to 3-2. Epperly tried to score for the remainder of the frame but Caruso kept him at bay.

Mario Mason turned in a key effort in his 149-pound bout. Mason, ranked fourth in the nation, took on No. 8 Brian Stephens. Mason earned a quick takedown to take an early 2-0 lead. After Mason accumulated over a minute of riding time, Stephens was able to gain an escape to send the match into the second with a score of 2-1. Mason began down to start the second and earned a quick escape to take a 3-1 lead which he carried into the third. Stephens started on bottom to begin the third and earned an escape but not until Mason was able to regain the minute of riding time which helped him earn the 4-2 victory.

At 165-pounds, No. 7 Scott Winston took on No. 15 Pete Yates. After a scoreless first, Winston started down to begin the second and earned a quick escape and takedown to take a 3-0 lead. Yates quickly countered with an escape, but Winston earned another takedown with 20 second but got called for locking hands to cut his lead to 5-2. Yates earned an escape with three seconds left to head into the final period down 5-3.

Yates began down to start the third, and Winston cut him loose to make the score 5-4. Winston got called for a stall with 10 seconds left to force overtime. In the overtime, Winston and Yates felt each other out for the first 10 seconds before Winston shot and got a single leg takedown with 23 seconds remaining to give Rutgers another three points.

Rutgers 24, Virginia Tech 7
125: Joe Langel (RU) dec. No. 13 Jarrod Garnett (VT), 8-7
133: No. 8 Devin Carter (VT) maj. dec. Mike DeMarco (RU), 13-3
141: Trevor Melde (RU) dec. No. 13 Chris Diaz (VT), 7-6
149: No. 4 Mario Mason (Rutgers) dec. No. 8 Brian Stephens (VT), 4-2
157: No. 8 Jesse Dong (VT) dec. No. 17 Daryl Cocozzo (RU), 6-4
165: No. 7 Scott Winston (RU) dec. No. 15 Pete Yates (VT), 7-5 (OT)
174: No. 18 Alex Caruso (RU) dec. Matt Epperly (VT), 3-2
184: Dan Rinaldi (RU) dec. John Dickson (VT), 4-2
197: Mike Wagner (RU) dec. Chris Penny (VT), 7-5
285: No. 4 DJ Russo (RU) dec. David Marone (VT), 8-3

Hopefully we have another night like this!! Jan 2011 Ru won the toss ups and had some upsets!

PISCATAWAY — The No. 8 Rutgers University wrestling team pulled off one of its biggest dual victories in program history as it knocked off No. 3 Virginia Tech, 24-7, in front of 2,739 fans at the Louis Brown Athletic Center last night.

“It was a big win for us in front of a great crowd at the RAC,” head coach Scott Goodale said. “Virginia Tech has a great team, but our guys dug deep and came through in a lot of big matches for us.”

No. 18 Alex Caruso’s win at 174 pounds was a key turning point. Caruso got cut above his left eye in the first period against Matt Epperly. Despite a few stoppages to fix the cut, Caruso hung on for the 3-2 victory which handed the Scarlet Knights a 15-7 lead in the meet.

After a scoreless first, Caruso began down to start the second and earned a quick escape to score the match’s first points. Caruso earned a takedown with 20 seconds left and Epperly escaped with four seconds remaining to send the match to the third with a 3-1 score in favor of Caruso. Epperly started down to begin the third and quickly escaped to cut the lead to 3-2. Epperly tried to score for the remainder of the frame but Caruso kept him at bay.

Mario Mason turned in a key effort in his 149-pound bout. Mason, ranked fourth in the nation, took on No. 8 Brian Stephens. Mason earned a quick takedown to take an early 2-0 lead. After Mason accumulated over a minute of riding time, Stephens was able to gain an escape to send the match into the second with a score of 2-1. Mason began down to start the second and earned a quick escape to take a 3-1 lead which he carried into the third. Stephens started on bottom to begin the third and earned an escape but not until Mason was able to regain the minute of riding time which helped him earn the 4-2 victory.

At 165-pounds, No. 7 Scott Winston took on No. 15 Pete Yates. After a scoreless first, Winston started down to begin the second and earned a quick escape and takedown to take a 3-0 lead. Yates quickly countered with an escape, but Winston earned another takedown with 20 second but got called for locking hands to cut his lead to 5-2. Yates earned an escape with three seconds left to head into the final period down 5-3.

Yates began down to start the third, and Winston cut him loose to make the score 5-4. Winston got called for a stall with 10 seconds left to force overtime. In the overtime, Winston and Yates felt each other out for the first 10 seconds before Winston shot and got a single leg takedown with 23 seconds remaining to give Rutgers another three points.

Rutgers 24, Virginia Tech 7
125: Joe Langel (RU) dec. No. 13 Jarrod Garnett (VT), 8-7
133: No. 8 Devin Carter (VT) maj. dec. Mike DeMarco (RU), 13-3
141: Trevor Melde (RU) dec. No. 13 Chris Diaz (VT), 7-6
149: No. 4 Mario Mason (Rutgers) dec. No. 8 Brian Stephens (VT), 4-2
157: No. 8 Jesse Dong (VT) dec. No. 17 Daryl Cocozzo (RU), 6-4
165: No. 7 Scott Winston (RU) dec. No. 15 Pete Yates (VT), 7-5 (OT)
174: No. 18 Alex Caruso (RU) dec. Matt Epperly (VT), 3-2
184: Dan Rinaldi (RU) dec. John Dickson (VT), 4-2
197: Mike Wagner (RU) dec. Chris Penny (VT), 7-5
285: No. 4 DJ Russo (RU) dec. David Marone (VT), 8-3
It’s been so long since we had a big upset… I can’t even remember last time we had a big upset actually…

HWT for Ohio state with a nice low level attack for the last second win. Right off the bat the 3 point takedown making a difference. I believe that kid is a U20 champ. He’s gonna be good.

HWT for Ohio state with a nice low level attack for the last second win. Right off the bat the 3 point takedown making a difference. I believe that kid is a U20 champ. He’s gonna be good.
Feldman was the #1 p4p class recruit and won everything under the sun in hs career… will he end up being as good as another #1p4p class recruit that wrestled hwt for Ohio State… Kyle Snyder…I doubt it but he will be good for sure.. both aren’t giant hwt and rely more on athleticism.. kinda surprised Feldman didn’t get more takedowns against vt hwt.. but won’t really know how good Feldman is until he goes up against the top tier hwts..

Reactions: MS-RU and Leonard23
Feldman was the #1 p4p class recruit and won everything under the sun in hs career… will he end up being as good as another #1p4p class recruit that wrestled hwt for Ohio State… Kyle Snyder…I doubt it but he will be good for sure.. both aren’t giant hwt and rely more on athleticism.. kinda surprised Feldman didn’t get more takedowns against vt hwt.. but won’t really know how good Feldman is until he goes up against the top tier hwts..
Yes Feldman is a hammer! Surprised he had a struggle with Catka. Feldmans senior year he beat Junior Jimmy Mullen 12-0 and 10-2. He was a level ahead. He did look a little undersized for College, but he still will be very good!

Yes Feldman is a hammer! Surprised he had a struggle with Catka. Feldmans senior year he beat Junior Jimmy Mullen 12-0 and 10-2. He was a level ahead. He did look a little undersized for College, but he still will be very good!
The size was partially the issue and adjusting to that man strength. Let’s not forget Snyder came in at 197 if I recall.

Obviously he’s a big name recruit, but winners win and that was a slick takedown off a bigger wrestler.

I think Catka is real good right now...Really surprised he controlled most of match vs Feldman..He is all 285lbs and will be a tough opponent for anyone but The Olympic Gold Winner

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Down goes Vito to lehigh’s Crookam.. who is either the backup or slated to RS this year not sure… kind of interesting that Lehigh’s current 133 starter, Mcgonagle, included in the all star classic… would be something if someone wrestled in the all star classic and doesn’t start that year.. lol

Down goes Vito to lehigh’s Crookam.. who is either the backup or slated to RS this year not sure… kind of interesting that Lehigh’s current 133 starter, Mcgonagle, included in the all star classic… would be something if someone wrestled in the all star classic and doesn’t start that year.. lol
Crookham was on pace to be a 4x PA state champ and one of the best prospects over a few year period before his transfer and subsequent injuries. Seems like he is finally healthy and hitting his stride

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT