ADVERTISEMENT

Town Hall Quotes From Last Night

rutgers211

Freshman
Oct 4, 2011
Couple really good quotes from last night's Town Hall Meeting.

"I'm tired of hearing people say 'that does not happen at Rutgers.' Stop. It's going to happen." -Pat Hobbs

"I have a vision, that eventually - Saturday nights will be the most exciting time of the year in New Jersey & at Rutgers" -Chris Ash

"I will wear that R everywhere I go because I am part of Rutgers University." -Pat Hobbs

"I don't care where you are in the stadium. Show up and make noise!" - Chris Ash

And of course the age old debate between Taylor Ham and Pork. Looked like a great event from everything I saw on Periscope and social media. Looks like these guys get it and know what it takes to change this program around. How could you not be excited for next year?

I went up to Hobbs directly afterwards and talked to him about that. He said he hadn't known and thanked me for making him aware. Nice guy that Pat.

I'd be very surprised if he wasn't aware. They are all aware, they just don't know how to fix it. A lot of people don't realize it, but Julie tried a few different things in game...none of which worked all that well. I think it will get fixed as soon as the team gets good again. You need good on field product to have lots of opportunities to "re-program" people.

Although they didn't take my idea...which I am pretty sure would've worked.

I'd be very surprised if he wasn't aware. They are all aware, they just don't know how to fix it. A lot of people don't realize it, but Julie tried a few different things in game...none of which worked all that well. I think it will get fixed as soon as the team gets good again. You need good on field product to have lots of opportunities to "re-program" people.

Although they didn't take my idea...which I am pretty sure would've worked.

To be fair, Hobbs is a former Seton Hall Basketball guy. The R-U is at its worst in Rutgers Football, so it's likely he wasn't.

What was your idea Cabbage?

To be fair, Hobbs is a former Seton Hall Basketball guy. The R-U is at its worst in Rutgers Football, so it's likely he wasn't.

What was your idea Cabbage?

Maybe not when he first took the job, but the department as a whole, most all of whom are still at RU, were very aware...including the gameday experience people who would be charged with correcting it.

My idea was to simply move it sideline to sideline. The big problem with speeding it up is the students. No matter what they do with using the scoreboards, having the cheerleaders use cards, etc., the students always speed it up. Part of it, in my opinion, is that they are so close to the sideline sections in 130 and 129.

I wanted them to do it sideline to sideline, which would have the effect of slowing it down by virtue of the distance covered. Then the students would have to get in cadence with the sidelines to join in.

They don't want to "take the students out of it." I said it wouldn't. But they were of the opinion that they wanted to fix it with the students in the lead.

Reactions: Section124
Distribute flash cards at the seats that show a huge "R" in student section. Tell students that l when it's time for the chant they all put the cards up in unison showinn the big "R" and that they don't say "R" until they have the card over their head. They then put the cards down and wait for the U. Once they get the U the cards go back up and again they wait until cards are overhead before responding with R. The natural delay in lifting and lowering the cards will slow down their chant.

I think the arm motion of the chant is half the problem. People see the point and respond immediately before the sound of their voices arrive. Speed of sound is too dam slow :mad:

Maybe not when he first took the job, but the department as a whole, most all of whom are still at RU, were very aware...including the gameday experience people who would be charged with correcting it.

My idea was to simply move it sideline to sideline. The big problem with speeding it up is the students. No matter what they do with using the scoreboards, having the cheerleaders use cards, etc., t.

You can forget about the cheer teams trying to make it work. We've been over this before and, unfortunately, they (apparently) really don't care.

you fix the chant by having the students be the "U" people and the rest of the stadium (the people who know the real chant) to be the "R".

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
I sit in the upper deck near the students. People in my section yell "U" really fast after the students yell "R". They are almost speeding up the chant themselves.

I think the fans and the students just need to hear a u ivied message regarding the chant from one impressionable person form the atheltic department.

If Coach Ash got on the mic and said "Alright. Students say "R", fans wait til they stop and say "U", and students don't say R again until you don't hear U any more. Christ this should be easy even for a Syracuse fan".

Maybe that would help.

My seven year old could fix it. Two sets of leaders one with a R cards and one with U cards. If the cheerleaders can't be bothered nominate some amped up students. I'm sure some of the riot squad would kill for field passes.

Aaaaaaand it's been hijacked.

maxresdefault.jpg

I don't get at all this concern over the RU cheer. I think that its just fine. A cheer is supposed to be spontaneous, loud and raucous. It does not have to be perfect. When the fans are excited that stadium rocks with the R and the U. You can hear it distinctly when you watch the game on TV,

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I don't get at all this concern over the RU cheer. I think that its just fine. A cheer is supposed to be spontaneous, loud and raucous. It does not have to be perfect. When the fans are excited that stadium rocks with the R and the U. You can hear it distinctly when you watch the game on TV,
I'm somewhat with you. While I like the old, slow RRRRRRR . . . . . . . . .. . UUUUU! cheer, things evolve and change, and perhaps we are wasting too much energy on trying to change it back to the way it was. There are more important things to worry about (I think).

I'm somewhat with you. While I like the old, slow RRRRRRR . . . . . . . . .. . UUUUU! cheer, things evolve and change, and perhaps we are wasting too much energy on trying to change it back to the way it was. There are more important things to worry about (I think).
Problem is we aren't wasting too much energy. In fact, outside of here we aren't wasting any energy. Most good cheers are led by someone. Even the pre game the cheer is much better when yoshi leads it. Problem could be solved by simply spending 10 dollars at staples.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Problem is we aren't wasting too much energy. In fact, outside of here we aren't wasting any energy. Most good cheers are led by someone. Even the pre game the cheer is much better when yoshi leads it. Problem could be solved by simply spending 10 dollars at staples.
I've lost track of efforts. Has anyone worked with the riot squad? @DJYoshi made great progress but it went out the window after the pre-game practice.

I've lost track of efforts. Has anyone worked with the riot squad? @DJYoshi made great progress but it went out the window after the pre-game practice.

I spent way too much time last year talking about the issues we face with this. (I'm Outreach Chair of the Riot Squad.) It's a matter of sound, and how we hear it. The wings of the student section start yelling U instead of R, and that's part of what screws the whole thing up. When you have the chant going that fast, the rest of the stadium can't catch up.

Back in the day, there were no stands in the south end zone, and the north end zone was pretty empty. When the cheer goes across the stadium from sideline to sideline, it works.

I think it will get fixed as soon as the team gets good again. You need good on field product to have lots of opportunities to "re-program" people.
I'm not too optimistic about that, I feel like the on-field success is what screwed it up around 2006/7 because the student section started filling up with a lot of people who didn't go to football games previously, so they didn't know how the chant was supposed to sound.

you fix the chant by having the students be the "U" people and the rest of the stadium (the people who know the real chant) to be the "R".
I don't see how that would slow the chant down, the cadence would be the same just with the letters reversed. It would also probably result in the chants occurring less frequently since the students would be the response in that case, and generally they are the ones starting the chants.

My seven year old could fix it. Two sets of leaders one with a R cards and one with U cards. If the cheerleaders can't be bothered nominate some amped up students. I'm sure some of the riot squad would kill for field passes.
They've already tried that with the cheerleaders but it doesn't work because usually during the chant, people aren't looking towards the field, they are facing the part of the stadium that they are pointing their arm at.

I don't see how that would slow the chant down, the cadence would be the same just with the letters reversed. It would also probably result in the chants occurring less frequently since the students would be the response in that case, and generally they are the ones starting the chants.

I'm saying that the students should be the "U" people because the rest of the stadium is comprised of the people who know the propert chant and can extend the "R" in a way to set the tone or however you'd like to refer to it. If you start with a looooooonnnngggg R, you can only respond with a looooooonnggggg U

The chant will never be slow as long as the students are in the south end zone.

You will never be able to tell 5k drunk college students to SLOW DOWN, especially after an exciting play or during a great game.

It was slow because it was sideline to sideline. Unless student section is moved, it will never slow down again IMO.

One possibility would be to change the chant. Have the students start by chanting GIVE ME A...... then one sideline yells RRRRRR then the students chant--NOW GIVE ME A.... and the other sideline yells UUUUUUU.

I'm saying that the students should be the "U" people because the rest of the stadium is comprised of the people who know the propert chant and can extend the "R" in a way to set the tone or however you'd like to refer to it. If you start with a looooooonnnngggg R, you can only respond with a looooooonnggggg U
I bet the students would still respond too quickly.

I think 99% of the people who care about the R-U chant are on this board and that most fans think it's fine. I liked the old, slow R-U chant, but not enough to invest more than the next 60 seconds on it. Here goes.

If people really want the slow cheer, the best way is to use the scoreboard and the cheerleaders, together, where the scoreboard "calls" for the R by the students, then counts down 3, 2, 1, and then "calls" for the U by everyone else, in unison with the cheerleaders, and so on.

Agree 1,000%

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT