ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. Department of Education reopens case against Rutgers alleging anti-Semitism

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
The U.S. Department of Education has reopened a seven-year old complaint against Rutgers University alleging Jewish students were subject to a hostile environment – a move that comes as the department’s assistant secretary for civil rights adopts a broader definition of anti-Semitism that includes criticisms of Israel.

Kenneth Marcus, the assistant secretary, said a pro-Palestinian event in January 2011 may have discriminated against Jewish students by charging them admission while allowing others in for free – allegations event organizers disputed.

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/sto...atmosphere-anti-semitism-reopened/1276968002/

No one outside of this admin believes Rutgers is anti-Semitic. It has the largest Jewish population of any college in the country.

Criticism of Israel is not anti-Semitic no matter how loud they scream.
If Jewish students were discriminated against in admission to the event, that certainly sounds like a civil rights violation.

Regarding discussion of if and how criticism of Israel may or may not be antisemitism, take that discussion to the Current Events board.

If Jewish students were discriminated against in admission to the event, that certainly sounds like a civil rights violation.

Regarding discussion of if and how criticism of Israel may or may not be antisemitism, take that discussion to the Current Events board.

That is half the story, considering it mentions at least one Jewish student was part of the group holding the event in the first place.

The article says the reopening was based on a change the definition, not new facts or RU policy.

No one outside of this admin believes Rutgers is anti-Semitic. It has the largest Jewish population of any college in the country.

Criticism of Israel is not anti-Semitic no matter how loud they scream.

No one said criticism of Israel is automatically anti-Semitic. It can be, and in my experience anti-Semitism charges are not tossed out wildly with a few notable exceptions. Which anti-Zionists seize on to falsely claim that any criticism of Israel is called anti-Semitic, which is ridiculous fiction.

Anti-Semitism, like all forms of racism, is a cluster concept that refers to different related concepts - hatred, discrimination, prejudice, systemic bias. It's not anti-Semitic to say Israel shouldn't do X, but being inconsistent in applying those same standard of conduct to every country understandably raises alarm bells.

If they indeed charged a different price for "Zionists", and the facts there have to be determined, then I think that double standard warrants a fair claim of unfair discrimination against Jews.

All anti-Semites are anti-Israel, but not who are anti-Israel are anti-Semites. Not complicated. After all, if I hate our government, I'm not anti-American. (well, to some people, I guess, but they would be wrong).

I don't like reopening a case based on a new definition. Whatever the rules were then should apply. New evidence, of course, is a very different thing.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT