ADVERTISEMENT

Umass Game Thread

not a great possession there. Gotta at least get a shot off. Followed by a great ride but couldn’t maintain possession. Get control there and it’s game over

Where do these refs come from. Don’t usually complain about refs, but damn.

Ugly, but nice bounce back win before the B1G gauntlet starts. Wild finish with turnovers and a penalty. How was the crowd on the camera side we couldn't see?

Stoller MVP.

A lot to work on but better off a win than a loss.

On to the B1G meat grinder

Defense Played much better in the second half. Stoller was obviously a big part of that. We gave up 3 goals after the half.

A little better shot selection is what we saw in the second half. Umass has a Vermont loss but they were fighting for their lives too.

On the minus side the ball was getting stuck in sticks a lot. Part of that is the match ups so I get that but you’d like to see it soon more. The D can’t have these types of sliding errors against Hopkins. They are designed for that much like a Princeton. They will eat it up.

On the plus side we won. That’s what matters. Stoller is really coming into his own as a star in the making. Faceoffs were solid and we had our way in the middle of the field. Shooting wasn’t great in the first half but got better in the second.

Lots to keep working on but doing it after a win is always better.

We need any 3 B1G wins. One at a time.

I like our chances against Michigan and OSU but there’s so much parity it’ll be tough to win both. Then RU is gonna have to play a complete game and steal one from Hop PSU or MD.

Reactions: Wagram97 and mdk01
Are we playing a hybrid man to man with crease/zone slides ? Hopkins will destroy that if so.
I think so. We were definitely playing some form of zone in the second half. If probably helped tighten up the defense, in a large extent because UMass likely did not plan on seeing us in zone. I can’t recall the last time I’ve seen a Rutgers team play any form of zone defense.

Not a long term solution IMO because once teams prepare for it we will get destroyed. Our defense was not built to play zone. You simply can’t zone Hopkins unless that is your defensive DNA.

I like our chances against Michigan and OSU but there’s so much parity it’ll be tough to win both. Then RU is gonna have to play a complete game and steal one from Hop PSU or MD.

And they are must wins. Win those two and you're in the B1G tourney.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
A win is a win but something needs to change quickly or they are going to get slaughtered in B1G play.
Agree. At this point I don’t see many Ws in B1G play. Hope I am very wrong

Ugly, but nice bounce back win before the B1G gauntlet starts. Wild finish with turnovers and a penalty. How was the crowd on the camera side we couldn't see?
the broadcasters at one point in the second half - i think after the interview with the school superintendent who organized the game at end of third quarter - had said about 1500 in attendance.

they also said this was going to be an annual event - although they were not specific if it would be umass v rutgers annually or the school district hosting a d1 game

A win is better than an L…sounds like lots to work on based on reading this thread…but it’s easier to try and fix things with a win in hand

The B1G is gonna be tough…I’d argue a win over Hop at home right out of the gate is something that is needed and can be done…

Go 1-0 next week…one game at a time

Have a good Sat night all. Be safe!

Y

3 B1G wins for NCAA at large?

As of now I am pretty certain that would do it regardless of what happens in the B1G tourney. A lot can change though. Even if we were to beat Michigan and OSU, a third win would be a really high value W.

Reactions: Wagram97
Let's be honest, at halftime we were thinking it was going to be a loss. Then that gritty 2nd half for the win. Can see they continue to work in the transition offense, always seem like a just a second off in a pass or the angle is just a bit off, and trying to find more shooters. Those injuries really messed things up.

Up close by the team and you could really see Brecht coaching up the kids. Saw him talking to Colin a lot, and it must have worked since in the 2nd half he'd get a goal and would have 2 assists.

I’m beyond that. This program is different. The kids work hard and believe. We’ve made numerous comeback wins over the Brecht years.

This team just had to win differently than in the past. We have two elite players with a budding third. The rest have to play hard and to the system. It’s different. Give the staff a lot of credit. They win in different ways.

Aimone really had an off game. He took 8 shots and missed every single one. Hope he got it out of his system. We are going to need production from him next week. Also hope Kelly will be a full go by then.

Aimone really had an off game. He took 8 shots and missed every single one. Hope he got it out of his system. We are going to need production from him next week. Also hope Kelly will be a full go by then.
I agree. He had been playing at a high level and feasting off the shorty. He got some looks but was obviously off. We need him. He is a great weapon as the third midfield option.

Reactions: Caliknight
I just got back from Princeton Cornell. After the RU OT win vs PSU a couple of years ago this was the best game I’ve ever seen. The difference was Princetons poor day on the clear. When the pole goal happened with 1.9 seconds left it was surreal cause there was utter silence on one half the bleachers and euphoria on the other. Insane game.

Gotta play better starting this week. Much better. Glad we got the "W" but need to "kick it up a notch!!!" LET'S GOOOOOO BOYZ!!!

If our defense plays as disorganized against B1G teams like it did against UMass in the first half, we're going to get destroyed.

Is there any chance Peter Rizzotti will be able to return against Hopkins?

A chance. Unlikely. But maybe. He’s getting close. The problem is you don’t just plug and play at the level you were at. The best we can hope is he’s in form by late April.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT