ADVERTISEMENT

UNC declines NIT and...

JC, we're NOT better than the NIT. We got snubbed maybe but it's not like we were going anywhere in the tourney, we lost 7 out of the last 10.

Play Simpson, Woolfolk, hell play Palmquist.

Reactions: 216 Row E
Saying players may get hurt is silly. If we turn the NIT down all the guys will be playing pick up by the end of next week. They will presumably be playing all spring and summer. They could get hurt anytime they step on the floor. Look at Mag. Made a regular basketball play. Tore his ACL. Unless any of these guys are going pro they should ply.

NIT is a must for these guys.

Injuries suck. If we were healthy all year we have 4-5 more wins. Unlucky. Put our heads down run through the NIT let these guys make a statement that they should have been in and get ready for next year

I'm looking at the roster and unless we are planning on starting Woolfolk, Simpson, Chol and Jalen Miller next year, I don't see the upside. There's more likely a situation that some kids transfer or move on after graduation. Every teams situation is different. No one can tell me who won the NIT last year or 3 years ago. It's TV content and that's it.
More game experience is good for everyone, especially all the players who haven’t played as much. 99% of any potential injuries will long be healed by next year. And there is no downside, no one will remember what happens, unless we win, and then it will be another positive.

That's what RU should have done as well....shut it down and revamp the roster with recruiting. There's nothing you can get from playing more games except risk more injuries.
Your negativity, just for Caleb’s sake, baffles me. They’ve gotten injured in practices as often as games the past 5 years.
Might have sought a mortgage elsewhere if I’d picked up on your negativity sooner. 😬

Reactions: 216 Row E
What was the point of continuing to play out the conference regular season in years when we had no shot at the tournament?

Those are situations where you also play younger players and build for the future. This roster was built to get back to the NCAAs. It wasn't built to develop youth, otherwise Simpson and Woolfolk would have played significantly more minutes.

Your negativity, just for Caleb’s sake, baffles me. They’ve gotten injured in practices as often as games the past 5 years.
Might have sought a mortgage elsewhere if I’d picked up on your negativity sooner. 😬

Caleb is the fabric and it's not negative.....it's what it is.....the program got burned badly by a fully broken system and NCAA committee.

If the players want to play, great. I'm more interested in getting the legitimate depth and help onto this roster for next year. We have a lot of items to fix this spring and summer.

I'm looking at the roster and unless we are planning on starting Woolfolk, Simpson, Chol and Jalen Miller next year, I don't see the upside. There's more likely a situation that some kids transfer or move on after graduation. Every teams situation is different. No one can tell me who won the NIT last year or 3 years ago. It's TV content and that's it.
It’s just a basketball game for gods sake

my cousin is a die hard UNC fan and told me today he knew a month ago they weren't making the tournament, just wants the season to end.

Simpson may very well start next year.

Woolfolk is a potential starter at some point (Cliff’s decision will impact).

Oscar would benefit from the NIT (I think he could remain as I don’t see us moving on from all of him, Hyatt, Dean and Miller).

We have plenty of guys who need opportunity and time to develop. You know….all those guys that you said would provide a more explosive offensive after Mag went down…

Is Chol able to play in NIT, without affecting red shirt. Or would NIT play count and burn his RS? I am assuming the latter, but if not, let him get some minutes too.

As much as all of us hate the idea of playing in the NIT we are not a blue blood who is "above" playing in it and getting young guys more experience is important.
No disrespect to you, but cut this "blue blood" nonsense. Their dynasty was built on more than two decades of cheating, and began under Dean Smith. They devised a very clever way to recruit academically ill-equipped but athletically gifted kids and keep them eligible to play, benefiting the school. They even created a new department of African-American Studies to aid the effort. And they also had the gall to create this sham image of "The Carolina Way": a public image to project how the school wins with integrity and honor. All horseshit. Never forget this. When "caught" and exposed for the Cheats they are, they lawyer up, strategize, convince the NCAA that it's an academic problem, not an athletic problem, so they skate, without punishment. Go Heels!

I have mixed feelings on accepting this bid. I am not concerned about injuries and in this day of age, if someone like Cliff is, then he just sits out like we see on the football side with bowl games. If this happens then probably more of a reason to decline the bid. I think we are taking a trip over the summer which provides more time for skill development with next years roster.

I doubt we are winning this tournament regardless of our seed. We are just not consistent enough and over reliant on stellar defensive performance regardless of the opponents quality.

I see this as a damned if you do and damned if you don't. If we lose early it validates the snub and getting to finals is not going to impress too many since few will be focused on this event.

The one thing this could do is help Pike see what a schedule upgrade looks like since this tournament will be filled with potential candidates if he is so inclined.

I have mixed feelings on accepting this bid. I am not concerned about injuries and in this day of age, if someone like Cliff is, then he just sits out like we see on the football side with bowl games. If this happens then probably more of a reason to decline the bid. I think we are taking a trip over the summer which provides more time for skill development with next years roster.

I doubt we are winning this tournament regardless of our seed. We are just not consistent enough and over reliant on stellar defensive performance regardless of the opponents quality.

I see this as a damned if you do and damned if you don't. If we lose early it validates the snub and getting to finals is not going to impress too many since few will be focused on this event.

The one thing this could do is help Pike see what a schedule upgrade looks like since this tournament will be filled with potential candidates if he is so inclined.
I just dont know if our upper class men have their hearts in this one. They are very disappointed right now and if they cant get up for these games it could be disaster.

Reactions: bigmatt718
I just dont know if our upper class men have their hearts in this one. They are very disappointed right now and if they cant get up for these games it could be disaster.
The upperclassmen have shown to be hit or miss with mental focus and strength at times. It's not unfathomable that the team checks out and loses Round 1.

3 things to consider
1. Recruiting for transfers is happening now.
2. If the season ends Simpson leaves on a high note. It can work both ways. Bad games aren’t good for his development. His Temple game sent his development in reverse.
3. Our recipe for success is out working teams. I’d be surprised if we are all in for NIT games. Players are human just like us fans.

Simpson may very well start next year.

Woolfolk is a potential starter at some point (Cliff’s decision will impact).

Oscar would benefit from the NIT (I think he could remain as I don’t see us moving on from all of him, Hyatt, Dean and Miller).

We have plenty of guys who need opportunity and time to develop. You know….all those guys that you said would provide a more explosive offensive after Mag went down…

Yes, it always helps to do this well after the regular and postseason tournaments are over. No need to do this from November to February.....!!

Is Chol able to play in NIT, without affecting red shirt. Or would NIT play count and burn his RS? I am assuming the latter, but if not, let him get some minutes too.
No.

This isn't practice.

Who better than Pike who was on the team remembers that an exciting NIT run to the title was the launching pad for UConn's success under Calhoun? The incredible Tate George shot, and all of it, next thing you know they've got some natty's and they're an BB institution. You can't tell me that parallel did not run through Pike's mind. Here's a message to the players: have some pride in yourself and RU and play like your life depends on it to show everyone that you got robbed by the NCAA if that's the way you feel. Redemption tour.

Yes, it always helps to do this well after the regular and postseason tournaments are over. No need to do this from November to February.....!!

Huh?

No idea what you’re trying to say lol.

Point is there are plenty of guys on our team who would benefit from a few more games and you don’t turn down the NIT invite.

We are doing the right thing whether fans like it or not.

Reactions: shields
Huh?

No idea what you’re trying to say lol.

Point is there are plenty of guys on our team who would benefit from a few more games and you don’t turn down the NIT invite.

We are doing the right thing whether fans like it or not.
I agree. You play, play hard, play to win and try to make it to Vegas.

No disrespect to you, but cut this "blue blood" nonsense. Their dynasty was built on more than two decades of cheating, and began under Dean Smith. They devised a very clever way to recruit academically ill-equipped but athletically gifted kids and keep them eligible to play, benefiting the school. They even created a new department of African-American Studies to aid the effort. And they also had the gall to create this sham image of "The Carolina Way": a public image to project how the school wins with integrity and honor. All horseshit. Never forget this. When "caught" and exposed for the Cheats they are, they lawyer up, strategize, convince the NCAA that it's an academic problem, not an athletic problem, so they skate, without punishment. Go Heels!
Yeah I don't dispute that UNC are cheating A-holes. My comment was more in general that perceived "blue bloods" however that came to pass can afford to turn up their noses at the NIT where we should not. Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, UNC, or whoever.

3 things to consider
1. Recruiting for transfers is happening now.
2. If the season ends Simpson leaves on a high note. It can work both ways. Bad games aren’t good for his development. His Temple game sent his development in reverse.
3. Our recipe for success is out working teams. I’d be surprised if we are all in for NIT games. Players are human just like us fans.
It's going to go one way or the other most likely. Either their hearts are not into it(most likely, but Coach would have consulted with his leaders before agreeing to play) and we get bounced early or they stick together on a mission and win the NIT.

Best of Luck,
Groz

• Love
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Do you think that when schools play in a bowl game, all the extra practice, conditioning, and game experience underclassmen get, is worthless for the next season?

Freakin Villanova was in the Final 4 last year and they are traveling to Virginia to play a first round NIT game at Liberty

Wisconsin was co champs of Big 10 last year are missing the Ncaa tourney for only the 2nd time in 25 years are hosting Bradley

Freakin Villanova was in the Final 4 last year and they are traveling to Virginia to play a first round NIT game at Liberty

Wisconsin was co champs of Big 10 last year are missing the Ncaa tourney for only the 2nd time in 25 years are hosting Bradley
I'm hearing that the Cheats may have multiple players who are departing and are openly "done." Hubert and the power base there would rather not showcase the whole mess. So we may be misinterpreting the root cause of their rejecting the NIT. Checkout the Inside Carolina forum. They're not happy with everything, everywhere, all at once.

I'm still fuming over yesterday but have no objection to RU's participation, and am glad #22 gets a chance to have a better ending at the RAC than the piss-poor Northwestern game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT