ADVERTISEMENT

Update on injured ref

Never seen anything like that.
What was the ref looking at when she got run over ?

Never seen anything like that.
What was the ref looking at when she got run over ?

She was just leaving the scorers table when Tekia Mack, who was looking the other way, ran into her while running down the court celebrating the W. While unintentional for sure, TM plays and I guess celebrates with a lot of emotion that I think if she is not on your team, can be a bit annoying. She seemed to feel really bad afterwards but if there is lesson to be learned by either participant it would for her to be a little more careful with that stuff going forward.

She was just leaving the scorers table when Tekia Mack, who was looking the other way, ran into her while running down the court celebrating the W. While unintentional for sure, TM plays and I guess celebrates with a lot of emotion that I think if she is not on your team, can be a bit annoying. She seemed to feel really bad afterwards but if there is lesson to be learned by either participant it would for her to be a little more careful with that stuff going forward.
Yes indeed. Her whole routine wouldn't have gone over well with anyone in my day.

Reactions: RUonBrain
This was a freak accident and not in anyway because of how Tekia celebrates good plays/victories. IT was interesting, Kathleen Doyle, last year's B10 player of the year from Iowa, was announcing during the RU-NW game, and the play by play person asked her what's it like to play against someone like Tekia who has so much energy. Dolye said it's a lot of fun, and that Tekia is really just yelling at herself/her teammates to get herself fired up--it's never directed at anyone else. If you notice, Tekia is also always offering a hand to help opponents off the floor, is incredibly respectful of everyone on the floor. She just has a ton of passion and I for one love it.

Agree 100% with what sammy said. I love her energy, and the emotional lift she gives the team. Her passion for the game infectious. Yesterday was a bizarre accident. Seeing how distraught she was over the incident was heartbreaking.
Again, hoping for the ref's total recovery.

Just a note, all articles people might paste on here are all the same AP story. Only difference is some have a few pictures of the ugly scene.

Thanks for keeping the board informed. TMack is passionate on the court to say the least. She was inconsolable following that accident. I want the ref to be OK as much for her as the ref herself.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Didn't say the accident was her fault. Was replying to the point in a previous post the her actions can be annoying to the opponent. Yes indeed, many times her celebrations are "in your face". I'll repeat, such showboating & in your face celebrating never would have been appreciated or tolerated in my day. I don't like it.

Reactions: CoachMagoo
Didn't say the accident was her fault. Was replying to the point in a previous post the her actions can be annoying to the opponent. Yes indeed, many times her celebrations are "in your face". I'll repeat, such showboating & in your face celebrating never would have been appreciated or tolerated in my day. I don't like it.
continuing on your point --
I listened to the game from MSU home station (1490am , good objective play by play).
Suzy Merchant was complimentary of T Mack in the pre game, saying she was the most improved player offensively in the Big 10 this year.

In the post game, she acknowledged T Mack's enthusiastic play was a contributing factor in perhaps intimitading her players and shutting down their offense. She also said her "trash talking" in front of the bench at the end of the game contributed to the accident.

My takeaway, be gracious in victory and celebrate with your teammates.

Yes indeed. Her whole routine wouldn't have gone over well with anyone in my day.
We get it rudad02, you don't like Tekia. You have made several posts in this thread as well as other threads all calling her out. Enuf already, thanks.

I listened to the game from MSU home station (1490am , good objective play by play).
Suzy Merchant was complimentary of T Mack in the pre game, saying she was the most improved player offensively in the Big 10 this year.

In the post game, she acknowledged T Mack's enthusiastic play was a contributing factor in perhaps intimitading her players and shutting down their offense. She also said her "trash talking" in front of the bench at the end of the game contributed to the accident.

Coach Merchant did a lot of staring, talking, and complaining and the MSU players also did a ton of talking and gesturing to feed the situation.

It is amazing how Tia now gets blamed by Coach Merchant. Sound like a sore loser to me to blame a college kid.

As far as the accident both were moving at the same time so not sure how it was anyone's fault. She plays with great

does anyone know if the Michigan bench said or didn't say something to get TMack focused on replying to them just before collision with ref.
A lot of times trash talk is a give and give back affair
Until I know for sure , it was an accident and the blame falls on no one.
As for trash talking, if it's one sided then can find fault.
But if a player on other team trashed talked anytime during the game, TMack shouldn't be faulted for giving better then the other team gave.

When it comes to RU Athletes,( my take) they get called out more then they deserve by RU Fans and that goes for RUFB,RUMBB and RUWBB players

Reactions: Loyal-Son
It was an accident. It's never a good idea to not look where you're going, no matter who you are or what you're doing. Luckily they weren't driving on the freeway

Yes.
We get it rudad02, you don't like Tekia. You have made several posts in this thread as well as other threads all calling her out. Enuf already, thanks.
I didn't say I don't like her. I said I don't like her routine.

Bingo. Blaming her for Looking at the bench then blame the ref for not looking at the court instead of the table. IT WAS AN ACCIDENT.
T. Mack isn't a dirty player. Period. Overly animated? Maybe. But I couldn't give a crap as long as she plays clean, hard, produces, and continues to be focused.
One of those players that get under the skin of other teams ( I kinda like it ) who also wish she played for them.
Lets face it. They just don't like losing to the newbies and a program that can challenge them for a title. So they can try and change the narrative .

Coach Merchant did a lot of staring, talking, and complaining and the MSU players also did a ton of talking and gesturing to feed the situation.

It is amazing how Tia now gets blamed by Coach Merchant. Sound like a sore loser to me to blame a college kid.

As far as the accident both were moving at the same time so not sure how it was anyone's fault. She plays with great

Mack was running toward the RU bench but looking at (and apparently chirping) at the MSU bench.
The ref was looking toward the scorers table so she didn't avoid the onrushing player.
If this was an auto accident Mack's insurance company would be paying out the big bucks.

IMO, Tmack should totally stop engaging on this.

But, I assume the program is reaching out to Enlund to express their good wishes.

I wonder if the program can ask the NCAA for permission to compensate Enlund if she has any loss of income due to concussion protocols?

Was checking to see if anyone had an update on the ref. There does not appear to be any update from the media that I could find. Hopefully in this case, no news is good news.

What routine? Hustling and playing hard so you make your teammates better and frustrating your opponent by outscoring them 24 to 7 in the 4th quarter. Yeah..... that routine is bothersome now that the team has won 6 straight.
Showboating, gloating & in your face antics. That routine. And if you don't recognize it, guess you'll never be able to acknowledge it. I'm pretty much done with the discussion.

Both TMack and Ref. Enlund were thinking of something besides those around them and a comp accident occurred while they were unaware of the other's presence
Neither were at fault in this freak accident.
Just hope the Ref is OK and if you see how upset TMack was over the incident, that was hard to watch without caring for her and of course being worried about the Ref after seeing the accidental collision.
That should be noted instead of trying to find fault where there is none.

Total nonsense posting. You must have voted to ban Mr. Potato Head and his wife. It was an accident not intentional. Now the school should pay compensation for the ref? You realize the can of worms you open up.

Reactions: Luvscarletknights
Total nonsense posting. You must have voted to ban Mr. Potato Head and his wife. It was an accident not intentional. Now the school should pay compensation for the ref? You realize the can of worms you open up.
To whom are you referring? If me, I didn't post anything about the collision.

I don’t know who did but someone did . So just ignore it if it’s not you. Rutgers is still self destructive.

I saw it happen. Complete accident.

Big fan so to speak of Mack. I like players like her.

It was an accident in that it was not intentional.
But Mack was certainly at fault.
I equate it to a driver who rear ends you while are at a red light because she/he is looking at a cell phone.
You are supposed to look where you are going any time you are moving.

I equate it to a driver who rear ends you while are at a red light because she/he is looking at a cell phone.
When everyone is moving around the court one needs to be aware of their surroundings.
So in a way you might be right about TMack being guilty of crashing into the ref.
The ref was occupied in her own not aware of what's around her and we could consider her part of stopping car short with a vehicle close behind that couldn't stop in time.
The ref wouldn't be at fault, but did play a role in that accident by not being aware of what was going on close by. But Byington can't be blamed for what happened, it was a freak accident that happened because the participants minds were elsewhere at the end of game.
Just glad the ref seems to be OK now

Reactions: Loyal-Son
More like 2 cars crashing at a 4 way stop cause one was looking left and the other right when they decided to proceed.

Btw... Do you coach our D Backs? If so now I know why they never turn their heads back... ( just kidding).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT