ADVERTISEMENT

Dartmouth basketball forming a labor union

What are they going to do? Strike for better pay? More food? Nicer shoes? Shorter practices?
If they get thrown off the team, can they file for unemployment? Can they take paid paternity leave? Do they get PTO?

Reactions: Jerseylegends
I'm usually all for the players. Lol I just don't see what they get out of this? Maybe they get the universities to compensate them with some of the tv deal money? So theyre actually paid by their "employers"..
Otherwise I don't see the point of this at all, you want a longer lunch break? Lol

plus it seems like these athletes would be more like independent contractors than employees. Cam Spencer was like a roofer, fixed the roof at Rutgers and is now doing work on UConn's house.

a percentage of the school's TV rights money might be one reason college athletes might want a union.
Also life time coverage for the injuries sustained ( practice, weight room and games) while on a program's roster might be another reason.

Don't like the idea of college players being employees, but in today's college sports environment , there's plenty of things I dislike that are taking away my enjoyment of college sports and making college athletics more like the pro game.

Reactions: Jerseylegends
Guess that makes their tuition taxable
Right now employers can exclude up to $5,250 from an employee's wages for education-related assistance provided that assistance was offered under a qualifying program.
That rule might be changed to exempt all tuition cost for members of a schools sports programs.
But if the that exception is not applied to every athlete in every sport you can bet lawsuit will be filed by the players in non revenue sports that are left out of being granted a tuition free education because they play for the school

Right now employers can exclude up to $5,250 from an employee's wages for education-related assistance provided that assistance was offered under a qualifying program.
That rule might be changed to exempt all tuition cost for members of a schools sports programs.
But if the that exception is not applied to every athlete in every sport you can bet lawsuit will be filed by the players in non revenue sports that are left out of being granted a tuition free education because they play for the school
Thanks for the update - I know when I worked for RU, and got free tuition that wasn’t taxed. I think you had to earn more than a certain income level to be taxed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT