ADVERTISEMENT

Rules need to change

RUich

Heisman Winner
Aug 2, 2001
With all that has been going on, the players have virtually all the cards. What used to be a somewhat balanced situation between players and the schools is gone.
If players can pretty much leave with no negative consequences, the schools need to be able to do something if a player simply decides to not meet his responsibilities. Now we have Dartmouth talking about forming an athletic union! With only not giving the player any playing time, some may just sit and soak up the spoils.
I am also really concerned with Pike being able to become more ruthless in this new world of college sports. His way of doing business may be out of style.
Next season is a make it or break it situation. If this program fails to garner the success and exposure many think, we may well see a much darker world ahead.

I am also really concerned with Pike being able to become more ruthless in this new world of college sports. His way of doing business may be out of style.
Next season is a make it or break it situation. If this program fails to garner the success and exposure many think, we may well see a much darker world ahead.

Mad Looney Tunes GIF by MOODMAN

Its interesting On the precipice of the best recruiting class I've seen coming to play for Rutgers basketball next season also comes some of the most doom and gloom sentiment I've seen on these boards about RU's future basketball prospects.

With all that has been going on, the players have virtually all the cards. What used to be a somewhat balanced situation between players and the schools is gone.
If players can pretty much leave with no negative consequences, the schools need to be able to do something if a player simply decides to not meet his responsibilities. Now we have Dartmouth talking about forming an athletic union! With only not giving the player any playing time, some may just sit and soak up the spoils.
At one point going to Dartmouth was about the prestige of attending one of the best universities in the country and getting that impressive Ivy League diploma. 🤭😆

Reactions: MrsScrew
Its interesting On the precipice of the best recruiting class I've seen coming to play for Rutgers basketball next season also comes some of the most doom and gloom sentiment I've seen on these boards about RU's future basketball prospects.
It’s all over reaction to a bad season. First it was “We’re so bad, are we going to lose Dylan and Ace?” That didn’t happen, so now we’ve moved onto “What if Dylan and Ace can’t get it done?”

Oh the days when college athletes were showered with…… free education to have the right to attend X university for the possibility to show their talents and be drafted.

NIL may no be perfect and it’s a work in progress but I’m all about these kids trying to make as much as they can before time runs out. These schools and ncaa made billions off their backs.. you know because they’re STUDENT athletes.

Back in my day….. nobody cares.

Also… Big time schools have been paying top talent for years. It’s just open now. And kids aren’t punished by having to sit out when transferring. So I don’t know what balanced situation there was. NCAA held all the cards forevvveerrefr

Personal integrity is not going out of style. But our players, the players that we want, that will appreciate it. We still need an NIL, to be competitive.

Meanwhile, it was not balanced before. The players were getting exploited, considering the millions everyone else was making but them. The pendulum swung the other way and for now it’s not fun. It’ll swing back. No knows exactly how. It could be a law, a players union, something. It’ll take some time to work itself out, but it will.

Carolina didn’t even make the tournament last year, this year is my pick to win it all.
if RU can add a sharpshooter like Ryan, they will spend most of the season in the top 25, and can be a contender for a deep NCAA run

Reactions: Scangg
Don’t touch their money until there’s a fair way of implementing some controls. But for the love of Pete fix the transfer portal NOW. It’s sucking the life out of a great game. Allow no-sit transfers if there’s a coaching change, otherwise one-year.

its too late and the inmates run they asylum now and the courts will never rule against the players

when players opt out of playing in game...oh wait thats already happening...but when they opt of certain games and focus on money tournaments which will be a norm soon then maybe everyone will stop watching
Spoiler: they will not stop watching

we shall see

if the game changes to professional its very easy to give up
“Very easy to give up” says the man with over 215,000 posts on this message board.

That’s not a shot at you by the way, I’m just saying I don’t think it would be easy for you to give up.

“Very easy to give up” says the man with over 215,000 posts on this message board.

That’s not a shot at you by the way, I’m just saying I don’t think it would be easy for you to give up.
It would be remarkably easy to…so easy. Giving up the pros was a breeze…college might be slightly harder because of school allegiances, but there are so many great things to do with your money that do not include paying into a system that gives money to kids for their temporary allegiance. The gambling sites could not be happier…the big schools will continue to out pay the lesser schools (RU is in the lesser bunch)…just call them employees, eliminate the useless others sports, and stop pretending like most of them care about an education (most could not give a ****)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Admittedly, I don’t really like the current trajectory of the sport and will miss program building, but college basketball’s shortened schedule, quality atmospheres and March Madness will make it a superior product imo, and I don’t think that’s changing.

Plus I think I’m too brain-broken about CBB to stop watching

Just wait until we don't get the top 5 portal prospects in the country. It's gonna be unbearable

Sometime around 2016 there was a big backlash against the NFL for how they were handling concussions and that people were going to stop watching. That's also when Kaepernick and other players were kneeling during the anthem. Here's a big article from Bill Simmons and Malcolm Gladwell. "Sagging ratings, national controversy, horrifying head injuries, shameless greed: The conversation about the NFL has officially changed. Is it too late to fix it?"

I believe there are people who stopped watching because of concussions or because of players kneeling. However it clearly hasn't been anywhere near a big enough percentage to actually matter. So even if bac or FIG really does stop watching college basketball I don't believe it will be part of a meaningful trend.

Reactions: fluoxetine
Just like I don't watch pros. It's the money and those guys sit when they want. Wait till college goes that route. We'll have RU with bench players against StoneHill.
I don't know about Stone Hill.Rutgers was lucky to defeat them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT