ADVERTISEMENT

Unfortunately for Cliff

zappaa

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Montclair NJ
He will not be able to contribute offensively with our current guards, his entire offensive game revolved around Paul, Geo, and Caleb backing down defenders, and dishing off to him.
As great as Simpson was last night, he simply doesn’t have that in his game, nor do any other guards we have.
If we play defense like we did last night in the 2nd half we will win some games, but Cliff is going to be an offensive spectator all year, we just don’t have the player or players to help him

He will not be able to contribute offensively with our current guards, his entire offensive game revolved around Paul, Geo, and Caleb backing down defenders, and dishing off to him.
As great as Simpson was last night, he simply doesn’t have that in his game, nor do any other guards we have.
If we play defense like we did last night in the 2nd half we will win some games, but Cliff is going to be an offensive spectator all year, we just don’t have the player or players to help him
That should work out really well for him in the NBA.

You can't blame it all on our guards he is just not good offensively has zero game around the rim so unless the guards throw him an alley oop he is just not good; I hope finally all this NBA and even G league talk can be put to rest; look Edy who could be the national player of the year for 2 years is not going to make the NBA

You can't blame it all on our guards he is just not good offensively has zero game around the rim so unless the guards throw him an alley oop he is just not good; I hope finally all this NBA and even G league talk can be put to rest; look Edy who could be the national player of the year for 2 years is not going to make the NBA
I’m not blaming anyone.
Our guards don’t break down defenders with their backs to the basket, and Cliff doesn’t have a high post game.
It is what it is.
I can’t remember how often Jacob dished off to Cliff for easy dunks using speed.

Watch how Somerville plays with agility and guard like finesse. Clearly the result of playing basketball for years and actually playing the guard position. Hopefully Pike can make him great defensively. It’ll be so much less frustrating than both Myles and Cliff were/are offensively..

Watch how Somerville plays with agility and guard like finesse. Clearly the result of playing basketball for years and actually playing the guard position. Hopefully Pike can make him great defensively. It’ll be so much less frustrating than both Myles and Cliff were/are offensively..
We’re still talking about the guy who led or was at the top of the country every previous year in dunks.
Nothing has changed except guard play.

Edy will make the NBA. He tested more athletic than anyone thought he would. Definitely get a shot somewhere

I feel bad for Cliff because against these stout B1G teams with 6-9 and 6-10 power forwards to go with their center, he’s just not going to put up points.
We’re going to see 7 and 8 point outputs and think immediately, if he could just get his usual 14 or 15 we win.
His just not gonna get the ball where he needs it to do it

I recall a play last night where Simpson drove, dished it to him in the lane, and Cliff proceed to fire a 100mph laser against the backboard. He's never developed a shot that isn't a dunk. How many dunks are you realistically gonna get a game?

Becuase he will be much more valuable to next year's team. He is a force if he strictly has to rebound, block shots, and get lob dunks ...I'd love to have him back..
This. Cliff would be a BEAST with Ace and Harper. This is pretty obvious. I am sure all parties including Cliff, RU Staff, and Ace/Dylan know it.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Still a freshman. We are doubtful to go crazy deep with just freshman starters. Cliff coming back with this group would be huge. Maybe what it takes to win a national championship.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Preface this that I’m no basketball guru. I love Cliff, but he can’t rebound in a half court game. He gets pushed around and is often boxed out. Defensively he leaves the post too often to help the guards defend and is caught out of position, which leads to opponents getting offensive rebounds and easy buckets. In offense we see Cliff constantly setting picks for the guards near the free throw line and opponents are defending the pick and roll easily now. Why don’t we set picks for Cliff to help him get free near the basket?

Anyone who has seen B1G Nathan can visualize his potential future offensive ability.

Reactions: whofrewdatmataRU13
This. Cliff would be a BEAST with Ace and Harper. This is pretty obvious. I am sure all parties including Cliff, RU Staff, and Ace/Dylan know it.
Yeah. Takes pressure off Somerville coming in. It would be nice but wouldn’t be surprised if he explores other options.

Cliff’s offensive game is facing and within 5 ft of the basket where he gets the ball [preferably a lob] and goes right up without use of the backboard. If he puts the ball on the floor or has his back to the basket, it’s usually a missed shot or loss of the ball. He struggles against bigger defenders even those less skilled or athletic than him because he can’t dunk over them or make a move around him.

He’s simply not a skilled offensive player but a tremendous athlete who gives great effort.

GO RU

That should work out really well for him in the NBA.
The NBA is a completely different game. I actually think he'd do better in an open NBA/G-League offense than he would in Pike's system. I think he'll be in the G-League next season.

Becuase he will be much more valuable to next year's team. He is a force if he strictly has to rebound, block shots, and get lob dunks ...I'd love to have him back..
Agreed, Somerville and Cliff at the center spot would be solid.

The whole premise and idea in this thread is flawed. It is not anyone's responsibility for an individual player, not improving or being able to score.

The entire offense was run through Cliff for extended stretches last year and essentially run through Cliff for pretty much the 1st 8 or 9 games and the results from a team performance was not good. How that is somehow laid at the feet of this year's guards is baffling or at best sketchy.

It is not the coaching staffs responsibility to cater an entire offense through any one player, at the team's expense.

No one prevents Cliff from working on his low post game, his catching of passes in the low post, his inability to understand how to secure proper positioning.....it is also not the guards responsibility to make sure Cliff expands his mid range game, shot making or hook shot in either hand.

Cliff is going to make it in the NBA, if he is willing to commit to being a better rebounding big man and can catch lobs on pick and rolls from wings at the next level. That doesn't have to happen for RU to win games, until the player owns the responsibility to prove he's reliable enough to command those touches.

Cliff has 18 more B1G games and the B1G tournament to step up his play. I am not giving up on Cliff as a force that can get a double double 3 out of 4 games the rest of the way, but as long as the guards continue to score like they did vs Ohio State, Cliffs points will develop quickly.

Reactions: tm_nj and hiwater
Cliff needs to be moving from low block to low block if he isn't at the top of the key. If one of his feet isn't inside this section, he should be invisible to his teammates.

Strip out the dunks from the analysis and I wonder what his FG percentage is when he catches the ball inside and outside of 5 ft from the hoop. The numbers have to be BRUTAL outside of 5 feet.

In each passing game, I get more upset with the staff.

Reactions: RUBOB72
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT