ADVERTISEMENT

KenPom and Cliff Omoruyi

PhillyRU

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2021
So KenPom gives a national ranking to its various individual statistics, with a requirement that players play at least 40% of available minutes.

With a block rate of 13.96%, Cliff is currently ranked second nationally. However, the man ahead of him, Ole Miss’ Jamarian Sharp, has played just 40.1% of minutes, and 23% in his last five. If he falls below the threshold, Cliff will comfortably become KenPom’s best shot blocker.

Even here, I don’t think Cliff gets enough credit for how transcendent his shot blocking is.

So KenPom gives a national ranking to its various individual statistics, with a requirement that players play at least 40% of available minutes.

With a block rate of 13.96%, Cliff is currently ranked second nationally. However, the man ahead of him, Ole Miss’ Jamarian Sharp, has played just 40.1% of minutes, and 23% in his last five. If he falls below the threshold, Cliff will comfortably become KenPom’s best shot blocker.

Even here, I don’t think Cliff gets enough credit for how transcendent his shot blocking is.
I was just thinking the same thing about how key his shot blocking is and how he affects other shots that he doesn’t block. I hope he returns next season, I doubt he will, but I hope he does.

I was just thinking the same thing about how key his shot blocking is and how he affects other shots that he doesn’t block. I hope he returns next season, I doubt he will, but I hope he does.
It’s been said, and I’m sure there will be many suitors, but I hope we aggressively pursue Felix Okpara in the portal if Cliff leaves. He’s the perfect successor

His role of rim protector is a major feature of the Pike's defense..just as it was with Myles Johnson. One of the reasons Cliff doesn't have more offensive rebounds is that it is so critical for him to get back and rule the paint on defense.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Cliff has played some really good games recently, but was not dominant early in the season. Was he injured early on when he wasn't playing up to his potential?

I don't recall seeing any reason for early season slump.

Glad he's flipped the switch or got healthy..

Reactions: SJScarlet
His overall defensive awareness and anticipation is an area where he's really improved this year. In previous years he had so much trouble timing his blocks and he'd let in easy layups even when he was in good position.

Cliff has played some really good games recently, but was not dominant early in the season. Was he injured early on when he wasn't playing up to his potential?

I don't recall seeing any reason for early season slump.

Glad he's flipped the switch or got healthy..
Yes, he was

Reactions: Rufaninga

Absolutely!! Cliff is such a HUGE rim protector. He allows our guards and forwards to apply ALOT of pressure on the guys they’re guarding, because Cliff is behind them.

I
Not only is Cliff a great shot blocker and disruptor but he’s made the transition to a guy that directs his blocks toward teammates or himself more often than not
I have heard coaches say that a block out of bounds is like no block at all. I don't hold with that extreme but it points out the importance of what you refer to

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Cliff's timing and feel for blocks got exponentially better. He really didn't have it at all to start his career here

Another thing he does pretty well for a shot blocker is staying on his feet under the basket and will still get a block by being disciplined

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Cliff's timing and feel for blocks got exponentially better. He really didn't have it at all to start his career here

Another thing he does pretty well for a shot blocker is staying on his feet under the basket and will still get a block by being disciplined
Even better some of his blocks are resulting maintaining possession and fast break opportunities

Reactions: Scangg

Jamarion Sharp is freakiest player I’ve seen (other than Wemby) dude is 7’5 and runs like a deer

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT