ADVERTISEMENT

Overall Sense of Pike

ImBadRU

All American
Apr 3, 2002
Given the really inadequate play of the seniors, I do wonder if Pike can motivate these guys. After Mich Pike said he challenged Cliff. Great! Why did he need to challenge him? And where was Cliff last night? Did Pike challenge him? Pitino challenged his guys and they have kicked a**. Pike, not so much. No fire. No desperation to win last night. What gives?

Given the really inadequate play of the seniors, I do wonder if Pike can motivate these guys. After Mich Pike said he challenged Cliff. Great! Why did he need to challenge him? And where was Cliff last night? Did Pike challenge him? Pitino challenged his guys and they have kicked a**. Pike, not so much. No fire. No desperation to win last night. What gives?
I think Pike is waiting until you start your 500th new thread to discuss a topic before motivating the team…you are well on your way..congrats

You are bad.

They are motivated. They played hard last night. Holding your opponent without a FG over the final six minutes when you are down double digits is the sign of a motivated team. Hoiberg complimented how hard we played in the post game presser. We are just a very average basketball team talent wise and a very below average team scoring wise.

The “harder” stuff has to apply to recruiting. We can’t continue competing in the Big Ten with spare parts. If players can’t shoot and play through contact, don’t consider them.
in the past 2/3 star recruits were the only players interested in Rutgers.

There are 2269 Division 1 players that have played at least 40% of their team's minutes. Derek ranks 2259th in effective FG%.
Good grief - just so we understand - that’s basically just every D1 player who averages 16 mpg or more right (bit more than that due to overtime but not significantly).and he’s one of the worst 10 guys at shooting efficiency. Wow

Reactions: bac2therac
Good grief - just so we understand - that’s basically just every D1 player who averages 16 mpg or more right (bit more than that due to overtime but not significantly).and he’s one of the worst 10 guys at shooting efficiency. Wow
Not to pile on, but if he were shooting 1-4 every night that would be one thing, but he shoots more frequently than that, typically 2-8 or 2-10 and that type of volume for a low percentage shooter is the bigger issue.

Frankly i am surprised there are 10 worse

Reactions: kcg88
Also McNeese St's 27-3 record consists of 17 Q4 wins, 4 (!) wins against non-D1 teams, a Q4 loss, 3 Q3 wins, a 2-2 Q2 record and a single Q1 win on the road against #75 VCU. If VCU drops a single spot that Q1 is gone.

I believe in kenpom type systems so I'll say they're probably better than us. But how can you really know? It's basically like comparing a great D2 school to a mediocre D1 school, or a great FCS team to a mediocre FBS team.. the connection between the level of competition is so weak that it's very difficult.

Also McNeese St's 27-3 record consists of 17 Q4 wins, 4 (!) wins against non-D1 teams, a Q4 loss, 3 Q3 wins, a 2-2 Q2 record and a single Q1 win on the road against #75 VCU. If VCU drops a single spot that Q1 is gone.

I believe in kenpom type systems so I'll say they're probably better than us. But how can you really know? It's basically like comparing a great D2 school to a mediocre D1 school, or a great FCS team to a mediocre FBS team.. the connection between the level of competition is so weak that it's very difficult.
They won at Michigan by 10 or so back when Michigan wasn't quite as pathetic as they are now. So we have a similar result there.

They are motivated. They played hard last night. Holding your opponent without a FG over the final six minutes when you are down double digits is the sign of a motivated team. Hoiberg complimented how hard we played in the post game presser. We are just a very average basketball team talent wise and a very below average team scoring wise.
Defense keeps teams in games but offense wins games.Rutgers scoring 56 points was simply too much to overcome.There miust be roster changes next season to complement the incoming freshmen,There has been little evidence of player development.

Defense keeps teams in games but offense wins games.Rutgers scoring 56 points was simply too much to overcome.There miust be roster changes next season to complement the incoming freshmen,There has been little evidence of player development.

I pretty much disagree with all of this but that's ok.

If we play to Pike's speed limit philosophy we win by 1. Defense absolutely wins games.

I think I'm in the minority here but I'd go to war right now if you could guarantee me this roster.

1-5) Incoming Frosh
6) Cliff
7) Jeremiah
8) Mag
9) J-Mike
10) Derek
11) Wolff/Ogbole (Whichever coach prefers)
12) Gav

Even with that you'd be losing some current players.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Yea but but he’s a rah rah guy on the sideline clapping his hands cheering on the guys. that takes a lot of effort!

There are 2269 Division 1 players that have played at least 40% of their team's minutes. Derek ranks 2259th in effective FG%.
To be fair, I'm sure our other players are within spitting distance of him too

No one answers the question. Why did Pike have to challenge Cliff? Why isn't every player a high energy player? Ties to Cam's family hinting the Pike just doesn't demand full accountability. His mentor Calhoun held kids accountable.

No one answers the question. Why did Pike have to challenge Cliff? Why isn't every player a high energy player? Ties to Cam's family hinting the Pike just doesn't demand full accountability. His mentor Calhoun held kids accountable.
Coaches challenge players all the time. Sometimes publicly and sometimes privately. Are you serious with this nonsense?

You have me very curious. You have portrayed yourself as a college professor at PSU. Based on your posts on this board and relative lack of any logic or sense,,,,,,do they really continue to only hire cult members, buffoons and idiots to work and teach at that school?

Do you know what coach speak is?

Do you know what an athlete fluff piece is?

Ties to Cam's family hinting the Pike just doesn't demand full accountability. His mentor Calhoun held kids accountable.
Pike uses PT to hold his players accountable. He doesn’t berate his guys, he treats them like adults.

In his system, you earn PT first by defensive effort and hustle, second by displaying good court sense, and third by contributing offensively.

Cam’s effort on D, good court sense, and scoring ability earned him the most PT on the team when he was here. Others had playing time reduced if they were not getting those things done.

So it’s quite possible Cam’s mom was mistaken regarding accountability. Some coaches like Izzo, Calhoun and now Danny at UConn have a more in-your-face approach with their players. That’s not Pike’s style, and should not be confused with a lack of accountability.

Pike uses PT to hold his players accountable. He doesn’t berate his guys, he treats them like adults.

In his system, you earn PT first by defensive effort and hustle, second by displaying good court sense, and third by contributing offensively.

Cam’s effort on D, good court sense, and scoring ability earned him the most PT on the team when he was here. Others had playing time reduced if they were not getting those things done.

So it’s quite possible Cam’s mom was mistaken regarding accountability. Some coaches like Izzo, Calhoun and now Danny at UConn have a more in-your-face approach with their players. That’s not Pike’s style, and should not be confused with a lack of accountability.
Does pike lets his players know how he sets accountability? He should let everyone know up front what is expected and what he will do toward the expected. Don’t leave them guessing.

I'm far more worried about the lack of player development than accountability. A roster full of poor shooters will result in disappointing results on the score board.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland

Need the word "effective" included in the analysis.

I'm far more worried about the lack of player development than accountability. A roster full of poor shooters will result in disappointing results on the score board.
They are hidden turnovers which gives the other team more shop opportunities which puts more pressure on the D.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT