ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Johnson vs Cliff

mugrat86

All American
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2014
In my opinion, Cliff has essentially become Myles. No offensive post game, poor free throw shooter, great rim protector, good rebounder. Both were/are big assets for the program, but so frustrating to see what could have been

If I recall Myles had really strong hands especially on rebounds and was decent around the rim and as a passer.

Cliff runs the floor better and is more athletic and active is able to rotate out/in on D super quick. Dissapointed that he did not continue to develop a decent mid-range shot and more polished footwork & finishing in ISO with his back to the rim on O.

The improvements he made from his first to second year really had me pumped. Who knew he had peaked.

Rutgers needs a assistant coach that can concentrate on improving the overall performance of centers .

Reactions: ScarletNut
I know Cliff is desperately trying to advance his draft status whether NBA or abroad, but he actually made the last couple of his short range jumpers. Meanwhile, I don't think I recall ever seeing Myles take an outside shot. Although, I can't tell for sure yet if that's a good thing.

Last edited:
I know Cliff is desperately trying to advance his draft status whether NBA or abroad, but he actually made the last couple of his short range jumpers. Meanwhile, I don't think I recall ever seeing Myles take an outside shot. Although, I can't tell for sure yet if that's a good thing.
Cliff missed the last short range jumper he took, and the announcers spoke about how that is the exact shot Maryland would love us to take.

Reactions: goldb80
I think Myles was better.
They were very similar. Offensively cliff is a better scorer and Myles a better passer. Defensively Myles a little better rebounder and steals and Cliff a little better shot blocker. Myles more likely to get into foul trouble. Overall very close. This is Myles at ru. He wasn’t as good at ucla. Significant drop off actually.

Cliff is also asked to do a lot more. Myles was one of the most efficient scorers in America his last couple RU seasons, but did so on half the # of attempts Cliff takes.

Also, with a strong close to the season, Cliff could feasibly finish with the best block % in the B1G since 2006 — at 12.57%, he’s still way off Hamady Ndiaye’s absurd 14.51% in 2010

Reactions: gregkoko
They were very similar. Offensively cliff is a better scorer and Myles a better passer. Defensively Myles a little better rebounder and steals and Cliff a little better shot blocker. Myles more likely to get into foul trouble. Overall very close. This is Myles at ru. He wasn’t as good at ucla. Significant drop off actually.
Was he bad though? just seems like he didn’t get much run. 63% eFG, nationally ranked in offensive and defensive rebounding % and was a good rim protector

Myles was better

1. He did a better job defending most bigs
2. He stayed in his lane on offense and didn't demand the ball 12 feet from the basket
3. Was a much better passer

There shot blocking was even and Myles was also a better offensive rebounder

Despite Cliff having slightly better rebounding numbers than Myles, I am never confident that Cliff will come down with a contested board. Never had that feeling with Myles.

Despite Cliff having slightly better rebounding numbers than Myles, I am never confident that Cliff will come down with a contested board. Never had that feeling with Myles.
Kind of ironic since Myles had probably one of the most important failed rebounds in a long time.

(And I think Myles was great, this isn't a shot at him overall)

with Myles in the game, it was 4 on 5 on offense. He was only supposed to get out of the way, same as at UCLA. Terribly useless on offense.

If you point to ORebs, if he averaged more it was because he wasn’t guarded. He was that bad.

On defense, it’s arguable he was better than Cliff because he wasn’t out of position nearly as often. However, since he was useless on offense he’d be outscored 2 or 3 to 1 by the other big. That doesn’t usually happen with Cliff.

Warts and all I’ll take Cliff over Myles all week long and twice on Sunday.

I love both kids. Myles may have been a slightly better overall player, but never put in the same amount of minutes that Cliff has and was a limited offensive presence.

Reactions: mugrat86
My wife says no brainer: Myles didn’t drop the ball. So there you go.
Mostly because they didn’t pass it to him, and when they did he would somehow kick it or deflect with his elbows. So technically, yes. He didn’t drop it much. He turned it over before he managed to grab it first.

Cliff has become much better at avoiding fouls and staying on the floor. Cliff has given us more "full" games. Cliff obviously more athletic and runs the floor better. Cliff better perimeter defender. Cliff better shot blocker, but close on this one. Myles did alter a ton of shot without being credited for a block shot.

Myles had awesome hands. Cliff's are below average. Myles was a better rebounder (both ends). Myles better post defender.

I'll take Cliff, but not throwing shade at Myles. Love both guys.

Myles was better

1. He did a better job defending most bigs
2. He stayed in his lane on offense and didn't demand the ball 12 feet from the basket
3. Was a much better passer

There shot blocking was even and Myles was also a better offensive rebounder
Cliff is a better dunker! haha

You’re not following. It’s per one hundred possessions you need to look at not per game. Per game is even worse.
So he was 12 points and 18 rebounds per 100 possessions, which isn't great but that speaks to his low usage rate. My point more so is that he was he was still a solid rebounder/shot blocker and an efficient, albeit low volume, scorer.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Myles wasn’t much of an offensive threat but he had way better hands and a drop step that Cliff still doesn’t have. Also, Cliff can get pushed around Myles never did. I’ll take Myles…before he went to UCLA and disappeared with them.

So he was 12 points and 18 rebounds per 100 possessions, which isn't great but that speaks to his low usage rate. My point more so is that he was he was still a solid rebounder/shot blocker and an efficient, albeit low volume, scorer.
Still a solid player agree but across the board his stats were down. If you compare Myles last year at ru to cliff this year they are very similar. Cliff to Myles at ucla it’s cliff by a landslide.

Reactions: PhillyRU
Myles wasn’t much of an offensive threat but he had way better hands and a drop step that Cliff still doesn’t have. Also, Cliff can get pushed around Myles never did. I’ll take Myles…before he went to UCLA and disappeared with them.
Cliff has a drop step but agree Myles drop step was more polished.

Reactions: Scangg
Myles got into way more foul trouble and Cliff is a better offensive option, I will give the edge to Cliff
What drove me crazy was so many of his fouls were dumb fouls out on the perimeter setting picks. He always spread out his legs too wide and couldn‘t stay still. He was solid in the post, better man defender than Cliff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT