ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Update on Josh Ogundele -- Deciding Tomorrow

Excuses is the better term

As Heaven mentioned, the number of students, alums and population within a 45 minute drive is enormous
The number that embrace Rutgers Athletics is not enormous. We all can tell stories of having friends who are serious college sports fans who won’t attend a Rutgers hoops and football game even when the tickets and parking tag are free.
Through the years more than once I have followed the tradition of leaving unspoken for (free for the taking) football tickets under the windshield wiper of my car in the tailgate lot. There have been times when I returned to my car at games end to find more tickets under my wiper than I left originally!

Reactions: bac2therac
Amazing that any school sells out nowadays with the litany of reasons why people cannot attend games.

Some programs offer what they call "Anytime Tickets." Basically they are vouchers that can be exchanged for game tickets for any home basketball game. Seating is limited to certain sections but some are in the lower bowl.

Reactions: RUhobbit
Sustained losing and doormat status and zero NCAA appearances measured in decades and generations is a recruiting-Mount Everest to climb for seriously talented athletes and their parents and hanger-ons.
Spot on comments .It isn't easy to overcome decades of losing when there are other viable choices.Some fans are having a hard time understanding the dilemma Pikiell faces .

The kid had 19 offers and the list of schools isn't that great. Iowa, Cincinnati, K-State, and Va Tech were probably the top. That being said, these 4 are all better basketball schools than us and it's just another kid we didn't get.

Reactions: bac2therac
Amazing that any school sells out nowadays with the litany of reasons why people cannot attend games.

Some programs offer what they call "Anytime Tickets." Basically they are vouchers that can be exchanged for game tickets for any home basketball game. Seating is limited to certain sections but some are in the lower bowl.

Lets not forget in the digital age how easy it is to gain access to games, whether it is on the bevy of sports networks, streaming apps, etc. It is sad for NJ but the reality is that the odds of getting more than 75% full for an OCC game that is not Power 5 is unlikely.

Reactions: Russ Wood
I think most of us see the bb program as on the upswing, but given our history any step backwards will have multi-year repercussions. Have to keep moving the needle to win recruiting battles and for me this year that means (minimally) more wins than losses
Yup just keep moving the needle forward, next step an above .500 record. It's the same approach wrestling took. This is how you have to do it unless you hire a superstar coach and we didn't hire that.
Put actual seats in the 300 level and more people would go.

Who wants to sit on a backless bleacher all game?
I sat through a Notre Dame football game sitting on a wooden bench. So did about 70,000 other fans. Only about 8,000 have seat backs.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Yup just keep moving the needle forward, next step an above .500 record. It's the same approach wrestling took. This is how you have to do it unless you hire a superstar coach and we didn't hire that.

I sat through a Notre Dame football game sitting on a wooden bench. So did about 70,000 other fans. Only about 8,000 have seat backs.

Apples and oranges

Yeah but you're in I O W A: cornfields, field of dreams, slaughterhouses.

I'll take NJ any day over the Midwest...

MO
Iowa City is probably not that bad, plus cornfields mean CORN MAZES. I'm down for a good corn maze, they're fun.

Iowa's attendance is probably driven by the fact that it is basically a college town so the university and it's hospital are the biggest employer in Iowa City. That's probably around 30k people who have some type of attachment to the school. Then you add in their children and people who used to work for the school or hospital and are retired and boom lots of people who are interested in Iowa football and basketball.

Like most college towns, the game results are on the front page and the sports page. I love college towns. Almost everyone wears the school colors on Fridays during football season, car flags with the school logo, homecoming parade man that's good stuff.

In addition to ticket prices, parking, and food prices being too high, something I have been saying for years is that we should offer a Weekend Only Season Ticket.

This is a good idea, but right now this can be essentially accomplished by the fan buying two different 4 packs, choosing 8 weekend home games.

MO

And windmills, and windmills, and windmills. Plus I think the largest corn to ethanol plant in the U.S.A.

Garza will be a senior next year, while Myles has 2 more years. Playing time is always a factor

MO
I live 7 months a year in Southwest Florida among lots of midwesterners. Many of the men are huge Big Ten sports fans. I think your outlook would change dramatically if you were in my situation. I think the biggest knock they have on folks from the northeast is our acceptance of the over-the-top property taxes. They just chuckle and shake their heads. That amuses them to no end. Other than that (and perhaps religion being more a part of the fabric of their lives than what I know from living in N.J. so long), they are generally great folks who are far more moderate and educated than people on the coasts give them credit for.

I live 7 months a year in Southwest Florida among lots of midwesterners. Many of the men are huge Big Ten sports fans. I think your outlook would change dramatically if you were in my situation.
Stayed at my sister’s place in Naples a few years back, and her neighbors were mostly midwesterners and B1G fans. Some good-natured ribbing about Rutgers football but mostly I was surprised by how much they seemed to know about our program. Can’t wait til we get good again. It’ll be a lot more fun in those situations.

Reactions: Mr_Twister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT