ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling VIDEO: Goodale / Ashnault

He mentioned losing a non-NJ recruit to Ohio State today. Any idea who that was?

He mentioned losing a non-NJ recruit to Ohio State today. Any idea who that was?

I haven’t listened to the conversation yet but he was probably referring to Bryce Hepner from Ohio who originally committed to RU and then flipped to Ohio State a few months back.

No inside information here but I assume Coach Goodale was referring to the transferring Utah Valley State heavyweight,Tate Orndorff. He will have 2 years of eligibility remaining. Whether or not I am guessing correctly, it is awfully hard to win a recruiting battle when no one is allowed to visit Rutgers due to the current Covid-19 related campus closures.

Last edited:
Reactions: KidDagger
No inside information here but I assume Coach Goodale was referring to the transferring Utah Valley State heavyweight,Tate Orndorff. He will have 2 years of eligibility remaining. Whether or not I am guessing correctly, it is awfully hard to win a recruiting battle when no one is allowed to visit Rutgers due to the current Covid-19 related campus closures.
On the flip side coronavirus should help out with local recruiting of Sophomore/Juniors as they would be taking college visits around this time. Hopefully we can take advantage and land some of the top NJ/PA/NY talent for 2021/2022 who are already familiar with RU.

Fvck me if it was Ondorff. We just can't get any high caliber heavyweight to pull the trigger. I guess it's hope that Kyonte sucks at football and develops into an AA contender. I think he'll do it, but it would have been nice to get a gap guy till he's ready. What's up with the JUCO National Champ?

Fvck me if it was Ondorff. We just can't get any high caliber heavyweight to pull the trigger. I guess it's hope that Kyonte sucks at football and develops into an AA contender. I think he'll do it, but it would have been nice to get a gap guy till he's ready. What's up with the JUCO National Champ?
Are we not allowed to hope that he’s good at football and an AA contender?

Are we not allowed to hope that he’s good at football and an AA contender?
If he's good at football just like Meekins he'll concentrate on that sport. Any starter or on the 2 deep is going to go the football route. No way can that work load on such a high level be maintained for 4 to 5 yrs. In high school sure, but in college you know it's a whole new ball game. The demands and rigors will force him to make a choice by soph. yr..

Now I'm sure someone will cite the rare occurrence where it's happened before wrestling/football. Hell maybe even two or three in the modern era. But looking at the big picture the reality is it's a rare occurrence and an almost impossible feat in today's sports world.

If he's good at football just like Meekins he'll concentrate on that sport. Any starter or on the 2 deep is going to go the football route. No way can that work load on such a high level be maintained for 4 to 5 yrs. In high school sure, but in college you know it's a whole new ball game. The demands and rigors will force him to make a choice by soph. yr..

Now I'm sure someone will cite the rare occurrence where it's happened before wrestling/football. Hell maybe even two or three in the modern era. But looking at the big picture the reality is it's a rare occurrence and an almost impossible feat in today's sports world.

Happened just a year ago with Hokit from Fresno State.

The answer would probably have been “I don’t know” or “your guess is as good as mine”.

Looking at Kyonte's football tape, looks like he could be special in football (With his size and athleticism). It will be fun to watch his career unfold.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

If he’s good enough at football that it forces him to focus squarely on that, then I’d be happy for him and a potential NFL career. Theres nothing wrong with supporting a kid in his life beyond wrestling.

His father has been here many times saying that his kid loves both sports and he’s a big supporter of being a multi sport athlete.

If he’s good enough at football that it forces him to focus squarely on that, then I’d be happy for him and a potential NFL career. Theres nothing wrong with supporting a kid in his life beyond wrestling.

His father has been here many times saying that his kid loves both sports and he’s a big supporter of being a multi sport athlete.
And if he's good at football I'll be cheering him on as well. I've been a season ticket holder for 15 yrs. However, he's the only plan for heavyweight as every other plan seems to have fallen through. He doesn't wrestle who knows when we'll see an RU heavyweight even qualify for nationals.

What about that juco heavyweight from Iowa that was mentioned here awhile back. Any shot? We really need a heavyweight to hold us over until Hamilton.

Is C. Collucci trying for a 6th year?
Was wondering if he could get a medical hardship.

https://abc30.com/good-sports-josh-hokit-fresno-state-two-sport-athlete/6011886/

Thanks for sharing.

That got scary at the end when Colucci hit his head on the mat. Hope it was not too serious

Colucci was wrestling tough but Kyonte was too athletic on his feet.

Also, loved the commentary - "It's about the leg, baby." and like J'Den Cox says, It's ok if you are tired as long as he is more tired.

Watched the video. Thanks for sharing. Early in the match Kyonte uses a foot sweep fake as a set up to get NC off balance. It made me start to think that he may want to work on an actual foot sweep. With his height and leverage it could be a nice low risk move from a tie or as a good way to set up other offense. So, here is the technique with modifications from the master and Jersey legend, Steve Mocco. Hope there is something useful in there for you and Kyonte. Flo has more in depth content behind its paywall.
http://www.wrestlingbrotherhood.com/2017/02/foot-sweep-steve-mocco.html?m=1

Never met Todd Frazier, but he just comes off as a regular guy, not look at me I am a pro athlete. I could see just bumping into him one day at the Perkins in Toms River. lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT