ADVERTISEMENT

Villanova Buys Out And Will Absorb Cabrini After 2023-24 School Year

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

If anyone needs an example of a small, private, nonelite academic college being in serious financial danger due to Covid and declining attendance, there's your proof. U of Sciences suffered that fate in Philly and were bought out by St. Joe's. Colleges like Rider IMO are in very serious danger in the coming years and I can see this happening more frequently down the road.

If anyone needs an example of a small, private, nonelite academic college being in serious financial danger due to Covid and declining attendance, there's your proof. U of Sciences suffered that fate in Philly and were bought out by St. Joe's. Colleges like Rider IMO are in very serious danger in the coming years and I can see this happening more frequently down the road.
Rider recently saw yet another cut in its bond rating. But the school's administration claims next year's freshman class will be bigger. https://www.theridernews.com/moodys/

Reactions: bigmatt718

I have a good friend who is a coach @ Cabrini and this is tough news for him since he’s been there a while and loves the university.

The higher ed bubble does appear to be bursting in places.

Would TCNJ want to expand so much? Looks like they'd double their land as Rider's campus is slightly bigger 303 acres vs 289 acres, and has about half of TCNJ's enrollment. Not sure they'd take most of Rider's students.

Would TCNJ want to expand so much? Looks like they'd double their land as Rider's campus is slightly bigger 303 acres vs 289 acres, and has about half of TCNJ's enrollment. Not sure they'd take most of Rider's students.
My guess is that TCNJ would phase Rider out over time so that Rider students get Rider degrees, not TCNJ degress. You're right, though, that Rider would be a big meal for TCNJ to digest. The two campuses are pretty close, right?

Reactions: Leonard23

This is the harsh reality of higher education. It started about 20 years ago and will start to accelerate. It will accelerate within the next 10 years.

Would they also get Rider's endowment? That would triple their endowment. TCNJ would immediately be larger than Princeton and starting to encroach on Rowan as the third largest public school in NJ.
They might not want that though; a big portion of TCNJ's appeal has been "small school private feel at a public university." Their campus is very new, but built in a classic style. Even the fact that they stay "The College of New Jersey" when they are a university contributes to that. Do they keep that feel when they grow enrollment 30% and double the geographic space onto Rider's underwhelming campus?

Last edited:
Would they also get Rider's endowment? That would triple their endowment. TCNJ would immediately be larger than Princeton and starting to encroach on Rowan as the third largest public school in NJ.
They might not want that though; a big portion of TCNJ's appeal has been "small school private feel at a public university." Their campus is very new, but built in a classic style. Even the fact that they stay "The College of New Jersey" when they are a university contributes to that. Do they keep that feel when they grow enrollment 30% and double the geographic space onto Rider's underwhelming campus?
The Claremont Colleges in California might be a model for them. Those colleges consist of a number of small institutions under a common administration -- kind of like Oxford or Cambridge. The colleges are private, but I don't see why a public institution couldn't do the same thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claremont_Colleges

Reactions: RU MAN
The Claremont Colleges in California might be a model for them. Those colleges consist of a number of small institutions under a common administration -- kind of like Oxford or Cambridge. The colleges are private, but I don't see why a public institution couldn't do the same thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claremont_Colleges
A federated system of colleges under a shared administration you say? No school in NJ has tried that before...right?

A federated system of colleges under a shared administration you say? No school in NJ has tried that before...right?
The difference, as you can see from the link I cited, is that the Claremont colleges are all small and are close enough that they share a central library, health services, and campus security services. The colleges are incredibly selective, so whatever they're doing is working.

OblongUnhealthyBellsnake-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: RU MAN
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT