ADVERTISEMENT

***War Room #4 - Spring Evals***

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
Notable Quotables:
18 DE/DT Matthew Thomas (Midwood - NY) on why he chose Rutgers: “I know we are going to be slept on regardless of talent. That’s exactly why I wanted to come to Rutgers, to help change the culture and the way they’re viewed as a program as a whole. At my high school, it was the same thing if not worse. I was the first kid to go to a high level division one school so I’m just looking forward to breaking more barriers and hopefully putting Rutgers on the map so that they don’t say “oh they have a couple guys” but that the program as whole is big time and produces big time players.”

‘18 DB Avery Young on Rutgers going to AshEra year three: “Year three is looking very promising for Coach Ash and co. They want me as a cornerback, but they like that I can play either nickel or safety as well.”

Curtis High School coach Peter Gambardella on new area recruiter Noah Joseph: “I like coach Joseph a lot. When Coach Busch left, coach Ash was doing the contact for Curtis. I’ve been down there twice and had some time to sit with Coach Joseph. He’s got a personality and really connected with the players.”

Richie’s Rumblings:
Hearing right now that it sounds pretty promising that Rutgers will have, at the very least, two players selected in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Inside Chris’ Cranium:
I could see Kemoko Turay being drafted in the third or fourth round in the 2018 NFL Draft. The New York Giants could be a possibility in round three as they have two picks in the round. The consensus feeling for Turay is that he could get selected anywhere from the third to the fifth round.

Top 5 potential Rutgers draft picks:
With the NFL Draft starting last night, we take a look at the top five former Scarlet Knights who are potential NFL draft picks.
  1. Kemoko Turay
  2. Sebastian Joseph
  3. Ryan Anderson
  4. Gus Edwards
  5. Janarion Grant
Recruiting notes:
’19 QB Sam Saxton (St. Michael's Academy - TX):
TKR has confirmed that Rutgers will be sending McNulty down to Texas on Tuesday, May 1st to watch Saxton workout and throw. Saxton is very high on Rutgers and plans on visiting soon. Ryan will have more in-depth update on Saxton soon.

’19 OL Parker Morrer (Mallard Creek - NC): TKR talked with Moorer this past week after the Scarlet Knights extended him an offer. He informed us that his recruitment is still open despite being committed to Maryland and will continue to look at other schools. Right now he is hoping to visit Rutgers soon.

’19 DE Jason Blissett (Poly Prep - NY): After recently speaking with Blissett, he confirmed with TKR that Rutgers has a firm spot in his top five list of schools. He will be releasing his top list in the middle of May, but expect the Scarlet Knights to be on there. He is near the top of the board for Rutgers when it comes to defensive tackles.

’19 DE Joe Rondi (Wayne Hills - NJ): Rondi is set to visit Rutgers on Sunday after the Rivals camp event. At the moment he is very high on the Scarlet Knights and we here at TKR wouldn’t be shocked if he is one of the next commitments for the Scarlet Knights.

’19 SG Aundre Hyatt (Miller School - VA): Right now Hyatt is still hearing quite a bit from Rutgers and they are showing him a ton of love. However, it still seems like he is 50/50 right now on reclassifying or not.

“Rutgers didn’t visit with me, they visited my mentor Mike Matthews. They’ve been consistent and saying the same thing to me that they want me to play multiple positions for them and how I’d be a great fit for the program.”

Team Tidbits:
Rutgers Football:
TKR talked to one of Kemoko Turay’s mentors recently and he informed us that the stud defensive lineman took quite a few visits to NFL teams for workouts. He confirmed that Turay had workouts with the Minnesota Vikings, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, Cleveland Browns, Arizona Cardinals, New York Jets, New York Giants, and a couple more.

Rutgers Baseball: The Scarlet Knights are to set to take on Purdue this weekend in a B1G series. If Rutgers can win two out of three this weekend, they will surpass Purdue in the Big Ten standings. The team will be starting the following pitchers:

Friday - John O’Reilly (5-1) ERA: 4.95
Saturday - Harry Rutkowski (4-3) ERA: 3.83
Sunday - Karl Blum (0-2) ERA: 5.96

Rutgers Wrestling: Rutgers Wrestling will be well represented over the next few days at the 2018 Marine Corps U.S. Open Wrestling Championships in Las Vegas. The whole event is held from April 24-28 at the South Point Hotel. Anthony Ashnault will compete in the U.S. Open Senior Men's Freestyle tournament from Friday through Sunday, while Matthew Correnti, Joseph Grello, Alex Esposito and incoming freshman Malcolm Robinson will all participate in the UWW Junior Nationals from Thursday to Saturday.

Ashnault, who was recently granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA and will compete for the Scarlet Knights during the 2018-19 season. He will grapple at 65 kilograms (143 pounds) at the U.S. Open. The top seven in each weight class will qualify for the World Team Trials, held next month in Rochester, Mn. Ashnault is preparing to wrestling at 149-pounds next year for Rutgers.

Correnti appears to be Rutgers’ 197-pounder in 2018-19 as well after redshirting and wrestling unattached this past year.

Rutgers Men’s Lacrosse: The Rutgers men’s lacrosse team has an all-or-nothing road game on Saturday in the regular season finale at 4:00 p.m. at Ohio State (BTN). If Rutgers wins, it’ll be in the Big Ten Tournament. If it loses, Rutgers has to hope Penn State falls to Michigan to stay in fourth place in the standings and make the four-team conference bracket. Rutgers, Penn State, and Ohio State are all 2-2 in Big Ten play. Maryland and Johns Hopkins are each 3-1 and face each other over the weekend. Either the Terps or Blue Jays will be 4-1 and three other teams will be 3-2 after Saturday. Those four squads will be in the tournament. Michigan is already eliminated with an 0-4 mark. Rutgers needs to make the Big Ten Tournament to have a chance at making the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2004.

Also, Michael Rexrode was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week for his strong game against Penn State, holding the Nittany Lions leading points-getter Nick Spillane, to zero. Rexrode, who has started every game in his career on defense, has 21 ground balls and nine caused turnovers in 2018. A Preseason and Midseason All-American selection, he was recently picked in the second round of the Major League Lacrosse Draft by the Florida Launch and is a is a finalist for the Senior CLASS Award and is on the Watch List for the Tewaaraton Award.

He’s been named the DPOW five times as a Scarlet Knight.

Jules Heningburg as been named a semifinalist (one of 25) for 2018 Tewaaraton Award, the nation’s top award. Starting in 2001, the Tewaaraton Award honors the top male and female college lacrosse player in the country.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News