ADVERTISEMENT

Was Rice any good as a coach?

RUSK97

Heisman Winner
Dec 28, 2007
CNJ
Thanks to FHJ, I tuned out the entire Rice era. Not to mention the Jordan era. But aside from the antics which led to his ouster, how was he as a coach and recruiter?

I thought he was a good coach and a good recruiter. As a fan my beef with him was that his teams seemed overly intense on D at times, to the point of exhausting themselves and fouling too much. I think it also hurt their offensive production as a result.

I also think the way he rode the refs combined with the way he had his guys playing D, it made it easy for the refs to blow the whistle on us more often, sometimes unfairly, I thought.

Reactions: ColonelRutgers
Despite the 8th grade dodgeball non-scandal “scandal” he was and probably still is. How someone like Bobby Petrino and Rick Petino , plus others, gets extra chances, but Mike Rice doesn’t is crazy.
Bobby Petrino and Rick PItino had better than a .463 winning percentage. You win a national championship, get to five final fours and four elite eights and you get some leeway on stuff...for a while at least.

He was good in the beginning. Then I think the team stopped responding to his shenanigans.

Totally agree. His last year the team had tuned him out. I thought that long before the scandal and basically had stopped watching.

He started off good and was an upgrade over FHJ (who was terrible) but I was getting sick of his yelling and i was watching on TV!. Ha. I think he can be a good coach if he learns to manage his temperament.

Then after a few games of Eddie I totally gave up. He was actually worse than FHJ, which seems impossible but was true.

I think Pike is a much better coach and can keep things going for a long time.

Good coach. Good guy.

Canary in the coal mine for contemporary politically correct persecution.

I was in a group at the resort where the Big East Meetings were going on when someone asked a National Championship caliber coach what he thought of the Rice hire. He said Pernetti called him and asked what he thought and he said Rice was a lunatic, stay away.

Lunatic’s don’t get second chances.

Reactions: mikefla
I thought he was a great hire at first; we seemed to immediately get better, played really competitive basketball against good teams, and landed some solid recruits. Then we sort of stalled, and had weird losses—like St Peters at home...

Reactions: Scarlet Knut
Despite the 8th grade dodgeball non-scandal “scandal” he was and probably still is. How someone like Bobby Petrino and Rick Petino , plus others, gets extra chances, but Mike Rice doesn’t is crazy.

Because he is/was an abusive bully.

He crossed the line badly. People in public eye usually don’t get 2nd chances or have to be perfect citizens to get a 2nd chance for what he did (not talking throwing basketballs). He has failed since.

I think mike rice was a solid coach ...though I don’t think he was a good coach

There was talk that a lot of the recruiting set up for his first class was mostly with his assistants that, too his credit, he closed on

However, after the first classes...his recruiting was a zero.

He coached a good brand of defense...though fouled too much

His offensive coaching was not great. Some, to his defense, was an incomplete roster of players capable of playing high level of basketball

Making fun of someone’s accent. Making fun of where someone’s born. Calling someone a ———OT.

Your political correctness is warped.

The mentor tormentor has been employed by every successful military force in the world for millennia. You don’t have to like it or agree with it. But you should at least be honest enough with yourself to recognize that he was role playing, not personally demeaning.

Coaches all over the country were burning their practice tapes during that episode. Mike Rice was a sacrificial lamb.

This is not the military. These are Rutgers students. These are sons of parents.

If it wasn't personally demeaning players wouldn't have transferred.

This is not the military. These are Rutgers students. These are sons of parents.

If it wasn't personally demeaning players wouldn't have transferred.

Not one of the players complained about it. Not one. Because they knew it was all a motivation game.

Biruta didn’t transfer because Mike Rice make believe role played one of our competitors calling him names.

No point in arguing about it. I just don’t have a problem with the mentor tormentor approach to coaching and you do. So be it. America 2020 is in line with your point of view. But I think we lose something when we treat our kids, particularly our young men, like snowflakes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT