ADVERTISEMENT

Watch Party Bars this year?

There has been some Dallas presence over the years. I recall they coordinated an happy hour type gathering on the Friday night before the SMU game back in Oct. 2013 for local alumni as well as folks traveling in for that game. Anyway, that was five years ago so obviously doesn't help with this upcoming season.

One problem for the out of state game watches tends to be, for any major city/metro, getting a relatively decent sized group together has its challenges because it might not end up being as close to some as it is to others so the pool being drawn from suffers attrition due simply to relative location/convenience. If the chosen venue is say an hour travel time away for some, they likely drop out...hard to blame them when folks have constraints on their time as it is. This happens even if the venue is as central (downtown/heart of city) as possible, because that's still too far for many suburbanites, or there's too much traffic, parking is difficult, few or no transit options, not that easy to get to, etc. There's always some excuse (legit in some cases) related to inconvenience. Becomes very difficult to build a critical mass when as few as 4-5 people show up.

At the end of the day, we say it for a lot of things, but winning helps. Not surprising to see why that works...when it's the same inconveniences many people are then suddenly willing to put up with, if they feel they're part of a collective experience, sharing something bigger, and celebrating success with other fans (high fives, singing the fight song after a TD, etc). Watching from the convenience of home with creature comforts is nice and all (and still a preferred alternative for some), but can get boring unless you are hosting people to share the experience, especially the bigger the game is. Win more, play more UL or WVU '06 type games (i.e. be ranked), the hype builds, and more fans will come out of the woodwork to attend game-watch parties all over.

All fair points. Thanks. Makes sense.

With that said. Anyone in the Dallas area who want to meet up for a game. Let me know!

Nothing worse than middle aged wannabes hanging out in Hoboken. Creeper alert.

Been to Hoboken lately? Or Jersey City? Hard to afford it at 21. Much more geared to late 20s into 30s these days. Plenty of strollers for better or worse.

Lighten up boys. Plus you guys probably aren’t in your 50’s yet. I definitely am not talking about those under 35 here when I say middle aged.

The folks going to the Tally Ho, you may have a point. However, organizing game watches at bars in highly populated areas that will attract the most fans has nothing to do with age.

So for Hoboken game watch parties this season, in terms of atmosphere/target customer it appears the Tally Ho is the old Blue lot equivalent, while the Winston will be the Scarlet lot equivalent. Choose wisely. LOL

legends in ledgewood had the washington away game on a couple years back. might be a place for you to look into.
I just moved into Morris County from the Hoboken/JC area. Was going to ask if there was a place within Morris County that people went to. Anywhere in Morristown Rutgers friendly?

is there a place to find or post a list for those locations that are watch locations for RU away games? in NJ besides far away Alumni?

legends in ledgewood had the washington away game on a couple years back. might be a place for you to look into.
I just moved into Morris County from the Hoboken/JC area. Was going to ask if there was a place within Morris County that people went to. Anywhere in Morristown Rutgers friendly?

Mr Crabby’s in Randolph has large Rutgers banner on wall.

Never watched an RU game there but fun place to watch games.

Nuts had a good run as RU party coordinator for the last 10 years or more. Looks like it’s time for a changing of the guard as ScarletKid2008 takes the reins and improves the game day watch parties we’ve had in the past. A tip of the cap to the outgoing Nuts and lets give our full support in the future to ScarletKid2008.

I think we actually started in 2003!! Crazy!!

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
The folks going to the Tally Ho, you may have a point. However, organizing game watches at bars in highly populated areas that will attract the most fans has nothing to do with age.
For the record I wannabe young again too. I’m not a young kid picking on old guys. I’m joking and I’m one of them. And I like Hoboken.

Last edited:
I think we actually started in 2003!! Crazy!!

As I recall Nuts may have been party host at the Acme Bar in Scottsdale in 05 before the RU-ASU bowl in Phoenix. After a late flight and day of golf w RU fans I managed to hang at the Acme till about 9pm before crashing back at the hotel. As I recall they brought lots of Jersey music in for the party. Lots of RU fans in town for that one.

So for Hoboken game watch parties this season, in terms of atmosphere/target customer it appears the Tally Ho is the old Blue lot equivalent, while the Winston will be the Scarlet lot equivalent. Choose wisely. LOL

And still not a decent bar to watch the games. At least the Winston claims to have one Kane draft line, hopefully it's real. 50/50 they clean their beer lines.

As I recall Nuts may have been party host at the Acme Bar in Scottsdale in 05 before the RU-ASU bowl in Phoenix. After a late flight and day of golf w RU fans I managed to hang at the Acme till about 9pm before crashing back at the hotel. As I recall they brought lots of Jersey music in for the party. Lots of RU fans in town for that one.

I made a 3-CD set:

“Easton Ave Classics”
“From New Brunswick to The Shore”
“Roxy and The Melody”

Not to knock the alumni local associations but most are not sports centric. You end up in places that aren't sports bars or sports bars with no sound. And for many its more a social meeting, which they a great at, but not much interest in the game like people would be on here.
I respectfully disagree. The Florida locations are all in sports bars with sound but we can’t hear it because our hearing aids don’t work. Sign language helps so we can express ourselves like NJ residents.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. The RUAA doesn’t choose the remote locations and the Florida locations are all in sports bars with sound but we can’t hear it because our hearing aids don’t work. Sign language helps so we can express ourselves like NJ residents.
Ha!! You need to ask them to turn on the closed captioning.
And my post is not a knock on any of the out of town alumni association. They are more than just watch parties, are great at what they do.

Ha!! You need to ask them to turn on the closed captioning.
And my post is not a knock on any of the out of town alumni association. They are more than just watch parties, are great at what they do.
Sorry I didn’t get that from your post.

Sorry I didn’t get that from your post.
Was speaking specifically about the watch parties I have been throughout the country. All great people. I just am comparing to Nuts parties and the ones I've hosted in Philly. Seriously no disrespect to any of them. They do much more than fall activities.

Reactions: Rutgers8086
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT