ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early Joe Lunardi NCAA brackets

NewJerseyHawk

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2007
http://m.espn.com/ncb/bracketology?iteration=59&region=4&year=2020

It's almost Labor Day weekend...Here's a way too early NCAA bracketology from ESPN'S Joe Lunardi. Here's the conference breakdown according to this link.

B1G- 8 Teams and his guess on seeding

Michigan State 1
Maryland 3
Purdue 3
Ohio State 4
Michigan 8
Penn State 9
Iowa 10
Wisconsin 11

SEC- 7 Teams

Florida 1, Kentucky 2, LSU 7, Auburn 8, Tennessee 9, Ole Miss 10, Miss State 10

ACC - 6 Teams

Duke 1, UNC 2, Louisville 2, UVA 4, NC State 6, Florida State 7,

Big 12 - 6 Teams

Kansas 1, Baylor 3, Texas Tech 4, Texas 9, Oklahoma 10, Iowa State 11 (play in game)

Big East- 7 Teams

Nova 2, Creighton 5, Seton Hall 6, Marquette 7, Xavier 8, Georgetown 9, Providence 11 (play in game).

Pac 12- 4 Teams

Arizona 4, Oregon 5, Washington 11, Arizona State (play in game)

AAC- 3 Teams...

Memphis 5, Houston 7, Cincinnati 11 (play in game).

With the B1G, he has Indiana, Rutgers, Nebraska, Northwestern, Minnesota and Illinois on the outside looking in, with Wisconsin as an 11 seed.

With this projection, there are 20 regular season conference games plus the B1G tournament. With this many projected teams, I don't know if there's a better league to earn an NCAA bid than playing in the B1G.

The 11 seeds on a national level and Iowa, Penn State and Wisconsin appear to be the candidates RU needs to target, if we are shooting for an outside chance to dance.

Also, I think this eliminates the thoughts that Michigan isn't thought highly of as a tournament team. They're projected as a 8 seed while Seton Hall is landing as a 6 seed. We have 2 shots at Michigan, which could lift RU in the B1G standings, and climb into the conversation much moreso than who we played in the OOC.

Long way to go before games actually start but there are 16 B1G games against likely or potential NCAA teams if we include Indiana and Illinois who both believe they're overlooked, just like RU fans believe they're being overlooked.

League games are truly the litmus test for where RU needs to go.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Interesting that he has Iowa and Penn State and no Illinois. I can understand it though.

I think a lot comes down to the young McCaffrey on whether or not Iowa is a tournament team. Penn State is a Chambers thing. I guess it is a little leap of faith taking Illinois just like it will be picking us when it is time to pick us (perhaps next year?)

I'll bet all/most fans from major conferences think their conference will be weaker this year. Strength of the conference becomes relative. as I have said a few times, I think B1G will be as good or even better than last year.

A No. 8 seed from the B1G is probably an 11-13 loss team overall. That's not very impressive.

I don't get the Iowa love this year, especially if Bohannon misses the whole year. They lost a lot from last year. Cook was the best big man and declared early. Their 6th man Baer is out of eligibility. Moss transferred, he started often and averaged 24 minutes. Dailey transferred, averaged 12 minutes. Barr and Cook were 48% of the blocks on a team that wasn't great defensively. The only big that played last year is Garza, who seemed okay but not great. We will see what the guys that redshirted can do. McCaffrey is 6' 9" but listed at 190, I don't see him as a post defender at that weight but who knows?

Add in a tough nonconference schedule and they might have a challenge to dance. They face Texas Tech, at Syracuse, at Iowa State, Cincinnati in a neutral site game, and either Creighton or San Diego State. Plus an interesting game against Penn State at the Palestra.

Per Lunardi, the BE is getting weaker by the year. Only 7 of their 10 teams projected to make it into the dance, albeit PC is a play in game.

The 2 leagues that have more bids than I expected are the Pac 12 (4) and Big East (7).....I'll be shocked in the ACC really only finishes up with just 6 teams, Cuse was not included in the mix. Virginia Tech losing Buzz Williams makes them weaker, so instead of 8, I can see how they arrive at 6. If given a choice between Providence or Syracuse, Cuse is going to get the nod most times.

Schools like Arkansas and Texas A&M are definitely going to push for bids in the SEC soon, Arkansas much more likely to get back there sooner.

If Georgetown, Providence and Marquette all make the NCAA's, I'll be very surprised. I can see 1 of the 3, maybe 2.....definitely not all 3. Depaul has lost 2 kids this summer that were expected to start or contribute and have no idea about St. Johns and I know Butler lost a couple of players,but maybe the Big East is better than expected. That's why it's a way too early bracket.....!!:WideSmile:

The 2 leagues that have more bids than I expected are the Pac 12 (4) and Big East (7).....I'll be shocked in the ACC really only finishes up with just 6 teams, Cuse was not included in the mix. Virginia Tech losing Buzz Williams makes them weaker, so instead of 8, I can see how they arrive at 6. If given a choice between Providence or Syracuse, Cuse is going to get the nod most times.

Schools like Arkansas and Texas A&M are definitely going to push for bids in the SEC soon, Arkansas much more likely to get back there sooner.

If Georgetown, Providence and Marquette all make the NCAA's, I'll be very surprised. I can see 1 of the 3, maybe 2.....definitely not all 3. Depaul has lost 2 kids this summer that were expected to start or contribute and have no idea about St. Johns and I know Butler lost a couple of players,but maybe the Big East is better than expected. That's why it's a way too early bracket.....!!:WideSmile:
Butler was 1 of the 4 teams to just mss the tourney or the BE would have 8 too.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Being a fan of a team that hasn't made the NCAA's in almost 30 years, being a 16th seed would be impressive.
I should have been more specific in my post. I was referring to Michigan being projected has a number 8 seed.

Anyone else feel like Howard at Michigan will be another Chris Mullins, Eddie Jordan, etc..
Chris Mullins' teams have zero in common with Eddie Jordan's teams. Chris Mullins' teams won more games each season and St. John's was in the NCAA Tournament this year.

Eddie Jordan's teams, well you know all to well what his teams did.

Also, with Phil Martelli and Saddi Washington on Howard's staff, I think Howard can avoid being another Eddie Jordan.

Per Lunardi, the BE is getting weaker by the year. Only 7 of their 10 teams projected to make it into the dance, albeit PC is a play in game.
Ill never get the BE hype. Conference stinks and gets gang raped by the big boys (other than nova) in the tourney

Chris Mullins' teams have zero in common with Eddie Jordan's teams. Chris Mullins' teams won more games each season and St. John's was in the NCAA Tournament this year.

Eddie Jordan's teams, well you know all to well what his teams did.

Also, with Phil Martelli and Saddi Washington on Howard's staff, I think Howard can avoid being another Eddie Jordan.
coaching style....no defense. that was reference

Reactions: jersey07080
Still no.

Juwan Howard's staff is MILES better than Eddie Jordan's staff. Like 92.96 million miles better. Probably 75 million miles better than Mullins.

That has zero relevance to the Eddie Jordan story. Eddie rarely utilized his coaching staff. Listening to the Chris Mullin huddle (was only the 1st or 2nd game of his tenure) I couldn't help think of Eddie Jordan.

As has been said many times how often have very successful players made good coaches. The probability is low.

That has zero relevance to the Eddie Jordan story. Eddie rarely utilized his coaching staff. Listening to the Chris Mullin huddle (was only the 1st or 2nd game of his tenure) I couldn't help think of Eddie Jordan.

As has been said many times how often have very successful players made good coaches. The probability is low.
Doesn't change the fact that Howard's staff is much better than Jordan's. If Eddie Jordan utilized his coaching staff more, I doubt that the results would have been much different.

Doesn't change the fact that Howard's staff is much better than Jordan's. If Eddie Jordan utilized his coaching staff more, I doubt that the results would have been much different.

Jordan's staff was pretty bad. It took him like 9 months to build a staff. The whole thing was a disaster from Day 1.

Are you bullish on the Michigan coaching staff? Obviously they take a hit, but how much? Sounds like you have an informed opinion. All I have is that All Star NBA players don't usually make good head coaches.

Thinking back about Jordan's staff and his selection it is very relevant. My memory isn't the best, but now that i am thinking about it.....

Jordan's staff was pretty bad. It took him like 9 months to build a staff. The whole thing was a disaster from Day 1.

Are you bullish on the Michigan coaching staff? Obviously they take a hit, but how much? Sounds like you have an informed opinion. All I have is that All Star NBA players don't usually make good head coaches.
I think Juwan Howard will do well after an initial dip. Can't overlook that Michigan lost a terrific head coach, lost Luke Yaklich and lost DeAndre Haynes. Howard will have to make the adjustment to coaching college kids and not mainly grown men. He'll also have to adjust to the practice limitations the NCAA has, like right now I think coaches get a maximum of 8-hours of on the court coaching with their team. That includes the S&C coach putting the team through conditioning drills or supervised weight room work.

In my opinion many former all-stars don't make good coaches because instead of learning how to coach by being an assistant on a good coaching staff for several years, they'll often get hired to be a head coach because that program believes their all-star head coach will sell tickets. Sometimes the program is in bad shape, not every coach is a 'turnaround guy,' and the resources aren't there and the support from the administration isn't there either. Sometimes it is just a bad fit. The jury is still out on Patrick Ewing. He's barely above .500 after two seasons but he appears to have Georgetown headed in the right direction. Everyone knows what Penny Hardaway did in his initial season at Memphis, but probably the best NBA-to-college-coaching success story is Dan Majerle.

unlike many former All Star player coaches, Howard had a lot of experience as an assistant coach in a very good player development team with the Miami Heat and was well known for his ability to help develop their young big men.

So while he will have to adjust to coaching in college, he has lots of experience working with 19, 20, and 21 year olds improving their skills. He was probably going to get an NBA HC job in the next year or two.

http://m.espn.com/ncb/bracketology?iteration=59&region=4&year=2020

It's almost Labor Day weekend...Here's a way too early NCAA bracketology from ESPN'S Joe Lunardi. Here's the conference breakdown according to this link.

B1G- 8 Teams and his guess on seeding

Michigan State 1
Maryland 3
Purdue 3
Ohio State 4
Michigan 8
Penn State 9
Iowa 10
Wisconsin 11

SEC- 7 Teams

Florida 1, Kentucky 2, LSU 7, Auburn 8, Tennessee 9, Ole Miss 10, Miss State 10

ACC - 6 Teams

Duke 1, UNC 2, Louisville 2, UVA 4, NC State 6, Florida State 7,

Big 12 - 6 Teams

Kansas 1, Baylor 3, Texas Tech 4, Texas 9, Oklahoma 10, Iowa State 11 (play in game)

Big East- 7 Teams

Nova 2, Creighton 5, Seton Hall 6, Marquette 7, Xavier 8, Georgetown 9, Providence 11 (play in game).

Pac 12- 4 Teams

Arizona 4, Oregon 5, Washington 11, Arizona State (play in game)

AAC- 3 Teams...

Memphis 5, Houston 7, Cincinnati 11 (play in game).

With the B1G, he has Indiana, Rutgers, Nebraska, Northwestern, Minnesota and Illinois on the outside looking in, with Wisconsin as an 11 seed.

With this projection, there are 20 regular season conference games plus the B1G tournament. With this many projected teams, I don't know if there's a better league to earn an NCAA bid than playing in the B1G.

The 11 seeds on a national level and Iowa, Penn State and Wisconsin appear to be the candidates RU needs to target, if we are shooting for an outside chance to dance.

Also, I think this eliminates the thoughts that Michigan isn't thought highly of as a tournament team. They're projected as a 8 seed while Seton Hall is landing as a 6 seed. We have 2 shots at Michigan, which could lift RU in the B1G standings, and climb into the conversation much moreso than who we played in the OOC.

Long way to go before games actually start but there are 16 B1G games against likely or potential NCAA teams if we include Indiana and Illinois who both believe they're overlooked, just like RU fans believe they're being overlooked.

League games are truly the litmus test for where RU needs to go.

Excellent. What this projects is that if Rutgers finishes 8th or better in the B1G, we have a good chance of dancing. And yes, I understand that we need to win a huge majority of our OOC and likely win one in the B1G tournament.

Go Knights!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT