Way too Early look at ‘25 & why success in ‘24 is vital

Ru7580

Junior
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2021
Looking at our 2025 football schedule, we have:
1. OSU on the road
2. PSU, Oregon at home

We also have a home game against Iowa and we’re at Washington.

I think it’s reasonable to argue that all 5 of those games are going to be tougher than any game we have on our 2024 slate, though at USC could reasonably be considered tougher than at Washington- it’s hard to get a read on UW with a new coach and so much roster turnover, but their HC is solid and they have resources.

On top of that, we graduate pretty much our entire starting defense, the left side of our O line, starting tailback and 2 to 3 of our top wideouts.

I think 2025 will be a fun year to see what young players step up and take roles vacated by seniors, as Schiano has done a nice job filling the pipeline with talented kids, but there are going to be some growing pains.

We really need to capitalize on a ‘24 schedule that doesn’t include any of the top 4 and agruably 5 best teams in conference with a senior-laden team. I think 8 wins is the most likely outcome, but if RU can manage 9 or 10, and as a result, generate some national chatter regarding the playoff, as Richie said on the podcast, recruiting could take a huge leap. If that happens, that period of growing pains expected in ‘25 likely gets shortened by a year if not more.

Success this year, on the field and in getting guys drafted/on NFL rosters is critical. This is probably the most important season of Rutgers football since joining the big ten.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News