ADVERTISEMENT

We are so lucky to have the Rac

JayDogSmooth

All Conference
Aug 18, 2006
From the atrocious sight lines at Cuse to the little league athmosphere last night at Boston College, I have a newfound love for the old barn

Conte literally had less than 50 kids in attendance. The athmosphere was beyond lame, to the point I nearly fell asleep during the second half of a close game

Anyone advocating for a joint hockey arena in downtown New Brunswick is nuts - that what bc has and it’s brutal

I’m sure it’s great for hockey as the sight lines are good and it’s hockey centric up here, but for bball, it’s a one and done situation

The endzone seats at Boston College in the actual bowl might be some of the worst sightlines of any arena in the country

Reactions: RU848789
The endzone seats at Boston College in the actual bowl might be some of the worst sightlines of any arena in the country
I was just stunned at how little league the entire operation was
The band literally had 10 members
The one cool aspect they had was the hall of fame wall, and their banners were classy
Beautiful campus, great area, favorite city on the east coach, but brutal bball athmosphere

The RAC as a building certainly provides advantages.. eg acoustics

But what makes the RAC really special is …. us

Don’t want to be overly dramatic but that’s the truth

In contrast apparently the Maryland fanbase is pathetic . Their team is mediocre this year so they just abandon the team?!!? I wasn’t aware that the terp fanbase was so fair weather. Rutgers enjoyed FAR better fan support even when the team was bottom-feeders.

You can have the best building in the world but it’s a waste if the fans don’t show up

But, agree the RAC needs to stay

The Maryland fanbase is pathetic . Their team is mediocre this year so they just abandon the team?!!? I wasn’t aware that the terp fanbase was so fair weather. Rutgers enjoyed FAR better fan support even when the team was bottom-feeders.

You don't apprecaite the passion from Jersey fans (at least I didn't) until i ventured out to other places. I always take it for granted and assume everyone else is like us

In contrast apparently the Maryland fanbase is pathetic . Their team is mediocre this year so they just abandon the team?!!? I wasn’t aware that the terp fanbase was so fair weather. Rutgers enjoyed FAR better fan support even when the team was bottom-feeders.

You can have the best building in the world but it’s a waste if the fans don’t show up

Agree with all but when MD is winning at high level that atmosphere is phenomenal. Their arena is as big as a professional arena but on campus. Xfinity Center seats 18k people.

GO RU

Reactions: RU-ROCS
Aahh you don’t want a snapshot of RAC crowd during the Eddie Jordan years.

GO RU

I’m guessing it looked like the Maryland arena last night

🍎 🍊

Maryland is at least decent this year

Whereas some The Jordan teams were the worst in college basketball!!! I was at the nova game where we looked like a girls JV team playing against NBA players. What was that score? Or the Louisville score?

With that said - despite watching the worst team in college basketball - I don’t think RAC was as empty as Maryland was last night

🍎 🍊

Whereas some The Jordan teams were the worst in college basketball!!! I was at the nova game where we looked like a girls JV team playing against NBA players. What was that score? Or the Louisville score?

With that said - despite watching the worst team in college basketball - I don’t think RAC was as empty as Maryland was last night
Xfinity Center seats 18,000. You could have 6k in there with half in nose bleeds and it will look empty.

GO RU

Reactions: Sir ScarletKnight

After the game last night a few Maryland fans came up to us and complimented all the energy we brought. They said they wished their students could have that same energy lol. It was a ghost town at Xfinity Center last night besides section 217.

From the atrocious sight lines at Cuse to the little league athmosphere last night at Boston College, I have a newfound love for the old barn

Conte literally had less than 50 kids in attendance. The athmosphere was beyond lame, to the point I nearly fell asleep during the second half of a close game

Anyone advocating for a joint hockey arena in downtown New Brunswick is nuts - that what bc has and it’s brutal

I’m sure it’s great for hockey as the sight lines are good and it’s hockey centric up here, but for bball, it’s a one and done situation
I love all your comments except referring to the RAC as the old barn. We have a place we call the old barn and it’s on College Ave.

Aahh you don’t want a snapshot of RAC crowd during the Eddie Jordan years.

GO RU
BC is 13-9/4-7, which is almost identical to our record and yet we're selling the RAC out for every game and they have what Jaydog described as essentially a morgue. We do have better fans than BC.

With regard to expansion, I truly don't believe the RAC renovations being discussed are going to sterilize the facility in some way, especially since they're not changing the fundamental structure of the trapezoid. Could be a minor downgrade in noise with some luxury boxes put in, but 90% of the seats are unlikely to be changed.

Reactions: BillyC80
I love all your comments except referring to the RAC as the old barn. We have a place we call the old barn and it’s on College Ave.
The old barn is a term commonly used in hockey that I just adopted - the Barn on college Ave is def a great spot

Reactions: Local Shill
BC is 13-9/4-7, which is almost identical to our record and yet we're selling the RAC out for every game and they have what Jaydog described as essentially a morgue. We do have better fans than BC.

With regard to expansion, I truly don't believe the RAC renovations being discussed are going to sterilize the facility in some way, especially since they're not changing the fundamental structure of the trapezoid. Could be a minor downgrade in noise with some luxury boxes put in, but 90% of the seats are unlikely to be changed.
Conte had 5 boxes - by comparison, Monmouth has more and they’re way nicer

We absolutely have a better arena/atmosphere than BC and most places. I was just stating that the RAC has had its low moments in history.

Some of the renovation tweaks forthcoming will be mitigated by some old time fans relocating to have more students closer to the court.

Demand for RAC/JMike seats is definitely high. Some of that are those hedging on the showtime recruit class coming in for next season.

GO RU

To be fair to ourselves - we were one of the worst Division 1 basketball programs under Eddie Jordan.

Not just Power 5 - all of Division 1.

Maryland isn’t anywhere close to that level right now.
Fair point but there’s a reason for an arena that seats almost as much as Madison Sq Garden on campus. Their high standards for success probably influences the fickleness of the fan base.

GO RU

Reactions: S_Janowski

This is spot on regarding Maryland fans. The atmosphere was brutal, like they were playing in a library. Empty seats all over the place. I have seen a few other Maryland home games this year and it was the same lame crowd. Does Maryland have a great team? No, but they are also not a bad team. They’re an average Big Ten team right now, should have better support than this.

So when Maryland is good their fair weather fans show up in droves…. Just like every other fanbase. 🥱

The ru fanbase is different.
Was stunned at the absence of crowd. I thought maybe rush hour traffic. Borderline NCAA tourney team with momentum before us and nobody shows up. Think Willard is a tool but he’s a very good coach, can’t bode well if fans are staying away.

🍎 🍊

Which was the really bad one, Louisville?
I remember Purdue at home killing us.
It was fun watching Corey and nice upset win over Wisconsin. We still drew okay considering how bad we were.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
We absolutely have a better arena/atmosphere than BC and most places. I was just stating that the RAC has had its low moments in history.

Some of the renovation tweaks forthcoming will be mitigated by some old time fans relocating to have more students closer to the court.

Demand for RAC/JMike seats is definitely high. Some of that are those hedging on the showtime recruit class coming in for next season.

GO RU
I have far less confidence. #118 is the definition of Sterile.

All the renovations to the Garden, Yankee Stadium, Met Life,
have been for the worst.

The Fans do make the RAC.

Im going to be a contrarian but unless you are going to bring in more students to the game, I’m not at all sure spreading all the students around the court is really better than the current one section student section.

Reactions: bac2therac
What was the announced attendance? If they hit 8k, it’s really hard to take a dig at them because the crowd would look a lot different at a facility the size of the RAC.

What was the announced attendance? If they hit 8k, it’s really hard to take a dig at them because the crowd would look a lot different at a facility the size of the RAC.
I agree, but that’s another reason not to build that big of an arena. The only team is I can really get away with that or Carolina and Kentucky, and Kansas as well. Anybody else playing in a venue that big, especially when the seats are red, and stand out with the empty are going to look foolish anytime it is not packed.

Reactions: Luvscarletknights
Lol! ESPN box score had attendance announced as almost 13,000!

I kid you not.

• Haha
Reactions: FastMJ and Scangg
Maryland's fan base sucks. Their bball arena always looks empty. Their football stadium is empty. Just weak fan base

Oh if the team is awesome they show up? Yea, everywhere
They always try and lump themselves in with the elite big 10 atmospheres as well. When it's full for a big game, sure. But they are as fair weather as they get.

Reactions: Scangg
Maryland's fan base sucks. Their bball arena always looks empty. Their football stadium is empty. Just weak fan base

Oh if the team is awesome they show up? Yea, everywhere
MD is a basketball school and more than plenty of fans to fill that arena multiple times over. That’s why they have such a large facility on campus. I would think weekend games are usually filled but weekday games sounds like they are having a difficult time with attendance as an average BIG team.

The size of the arena on campus really struck me as a visiting grad student in the early 2000s. Looked bigger than the Wizard’s arena.

GO RU

I honestly don't think RU's fans are somehow more rabid than other fan bases. I think we've been starved of success and that breeds desire to experience winning. But if we had the same type of history as Maryland with consistent top 20 teams, when things fall off, so does excitement for the program. Even our fans, when faced with Eddie Jordan teams, were not very supportive of the team. Pike "couldn't give tickets away" when he got here.
The one thing we have that most don't have is the RAC. And that is really about the acoustics coupled with a fanbase's desire to experience success. But even the RAC can become a morgue when the team is under performing against perceived lesser competition. If you put PSU back in their old Rec Hall (small arena with low arc'd ceiling) and give them a top 20 team up against the #1 team in the country that place would have rivaled the RAC.
Point being... if we want to keep our home court advantage, don't f%$@ with The RAC - and give us something cheer about. Lol

Reactions: Rutgers25
I honestly don't think RU's fans are somehow more rabid than other fan bases. I think we've been starved of success and that breeds desire to experience winning. But if we had the same type of history as Maryland with consistent top 20 teams, when things fall off, so does excitement for the program. Even our fans, when faced with Eddie Jordan teams, were not very supportive of the team. Pike "couldn't give tickets away" when he got here.
The one thing we have that most don't have is the RAC. And that is really about the acoustics coupled with a fanbase's desire to experience success. But even the RAC can become a morgue when the team is under performing against perceived lesser competition. If you put PSU back in their old Rec Hall (small arena with low arc'd ceiling) and give them a top 20 team up against the #1 team in the country that place would have rivaled the RAC.
Point being... if we want to keep our home court advantage, don't f%$@ with The RAC - and give us something cheer about. Lol

I think you make a number of good points but I don’t fully agree

I think the win-starvation and the Jersey ‘tude give the Ru fanbase a little “edge” to it that most other fan bases don’t have

Last edited:
Reactions: G- RUnit
Agree with all but when MD is winning at high level that atmosphere is phenomenal. Their arena is as big as a professional arena but on campus. Xfinity Center seats 18k people.

GO RU
Exactly right about Maryland. But their arena is probably too big becuase they only seem to sell it out when they are on a roll. It would have been better to build a 12.5K arena like Crisler.

I think it's a combo of both the fans being special and the arena having great acoustics. You can see it when you have a game at the Rock or in Trenton. The crowd noise does not get up to the same levels despite having a large amount of RU fans.

So when Maryland is good their fair weather fans show up in droves…. Just like every other fanbase. 🥱

The ru fanbase is different.
Yup, you just have to win a little at Rutgers and people will show up. Hell Rutgers wrestling finishes in the lower half of the B1G constantly, but still consistently has a National Top 5 attendance rate.

This is spot on regarding Maryland fans. The atmosphere was brutal, like they were playing in a library. Empty seats all over the place. I have seen a few other Maryland home games this year and it was the same lame crowd. Does Maryland have a great team? No, but they are also not a bad team. They’re an average Big Ten team right now, should have better support than this.
Have you seen their football support? Same thing. Even in down Ash years, when big opponents came to town Rutger Stadium was packed or near. Maryland looked like a D3 homecoming crowd some games in the last 10 years even when they had bowl seasons

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT