ADVERTISEMENT

We couldn’t get a yard

The play design on that 4th and 1 was atrocious. Bring in heavy formation with an unbalanced line to the boundary. Tackle and 2 tight ends right. The play was designed to go A/B gap. And all 3 (tackle and 2 TE’s) block down into the A/B gap. They stacked bodies and brought more defensive personnel directly to where monangai was attempting to run.
Neither our tights ends nor our WR’s are even decent blockers either.

On a few of Wisky’s big runs their tight end pulled and made huge blocks. Conversely, I saw Fletcher whiff on blocks multiple times. And yesterday, he wasn’t even catching the ball so he brings nothing.

Neither our tights ends nor our WR’s are even decent blockers either.

On a few of Wisky’s big runs their tight end pulled and made huge blocks. Conversely, I saw Fletcher whiff on blocks multiple times. And yesterday, he wasn’t even catching the ball so he brings nothing.
Amazing how many of our players on both sides of the ball are afraid of contact. Our TE’s many of our wr’s and 2 of our corners avoid contact at all cost.

Reactions: BossNJ
Garry is a .500. coach which I guess is good for RU.
You guess ?
Are you familiar at all with Rutgers' efforts to compete with the top teams in college football over the years ?
Terry Shea ? Dick Anderson ? Kyle Flood ? Chris Ash ?
I will admit that the bar has been set very low for Greg. I just don't run into many college football fans who think that Rutgers could do so much better than GS....except for some Rutgers fans on this board.

Reactions: NY AGENTMAN
I haven’t read the entire thread but what I have noticed lately in these short yardage plays, our OL is just not going low. Literally stood up every damn time.
The line has taken a huge step backwards.

Reactions: kupuna133
I haven’t read the entire thread but what I have noticed lately in these short yardage plays, our OL is just not going low. Literally stood up every damn time.
Agreed. Not firing off trying to move the d line with upper body versus legs.

I'm glad you noticed this, because I thought I was seeing things. Our OL seems to stand up and look for guys to block in some complex algorithm post-snap. I've watched our struggling guards chip the DE then double the NT then try to shed the engaged NT to block a LB filling the gap...all on the same play. Are we back to the zone blocking scheme where everything looks like a pass play to the LB point of view? What happened to sending bodies to the point of attack (where the O knows it's going) and trying to get an OL on a LB or S to spring the RB? Nope. Stand around and wait for the blockers to clog the holes.

I'm glad you noticed this, because I thought I was seeing things. Our OL seems to stand up and look for guys to block in some complex algorithm post-snap. I've watched our struggling guards chip the DE then double the NT then try to shed the engaged NT to block a LB filling the gap...all on the same play. Are we back to the zone blocking scheme where everything looks like a pass play to the LB point of view? What happened to sending bodies to the point of attack (where the O knows it's going) and trying to get an OL on a LB or S to spring the RB? Nope. Stand around and wait for the blockers to clog the holes.
On those short yard or less plays, our OL face masks need to be between the DL knees - you always have to be the lower body

Someone should tell the coaching staff.
duh lol

Interesting though, earlier this year- they were doing it. It has become very noticeable in the last 2 games. What makes me curious- every OL knows this, and we were executing it very well earlier. It isn't like they just forgot, makes me wonder if we are just trying to do something different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT