ADVERTISEMENT

Wetzel: What college football needs to do to make an eight-team playoff a reality, Rutgers mentioned

Bama...I'm not the least bit interested in semi pro football...eff Bama and their cheating cultish ways..,they ain't got nothing else there!!! If and when were good...it's legit CFB!!!
RU plays in the #1 tv market in the country and per capita NJ has some of the best hs football in the country and while RU football has not won a gosh darn thing of note (New Years Days Bowl game or an outright conference championship) RU gets shots taken at it in pieces like this where it's not the main topic. RU is even relevant when it's not relevant. Can wait for the day RU wins the Big East Division. RU will get so much publication RU won't know what to do with it. Patience fellow RU supporters this is only the beginning.

GO RU
We think alike....good times are coming...everyone's afraid of an awakening RU....THEY KNOW....when we do...watch out!!!

Did anyone else have a problem with this development of thought?:

"No one knows, other than the tsunami appears to be coming. While nothing seems imminent or even likely, nothing is impossible either. It’s certainly no less impossible than predicting Rutgers would be in the Big Ten in the first place."
Don't these clowns realize it was inevitable for us to be in the B10....theirs been rumblings since 1990 that took too long but we're here....jealousy is the haters motivation. ..they gotta get over it.. Delany was no fool....

if you wanted to give every conference a legit shot then you go p5 champs plus 3 at large based on body of work. So this year you would have had OSU and UM and wisky with the at large. Not bad if you ask me with 4 Big ten teams in the playoff lol

No. You go with a 12-team playoff where the top 4 champions get a first round bye. This would give you the champions of all 10 conferences plus 2 at large. Because the emphasis is on Conference Champions, we need to replace Ohio State with Penn State. Our at large bids, which could include independents, would be Ohio State and Michigan this year. Here is the playoff teams and seeds:

SEC: Alabama (1)
ACC: Clemson (2)
P12: Washington (3)
B1G: Penn State (4)

B12: Oklahoma (5)
At-Large 1: Ohio State (6)
At-Large 2: Michigan (7)
MAC: Western Michigan (8)
AAC: Temple (9)
MWC: San Diego State (10)
C-USA: Western Kentucky (11)
Sun Belt: Appalachian State (12)

First round:
Appalachian State vs Oklahoma, Western Kentucky vs Ohio State, San Diego State vs Michigan, Temple vs Western Michigan.

Assuming the home team all win in round 1:
Second round:
Alabama vs Western Michigan, Clemson vs Michigan, Washington vs Ohio State, Penn State vs Oklahoma.

No. You go with a 12-team playoff where the top 4 champions get a first round bye. This would give you the champions of all 10 conferences plus 2 at large. Because the emphasis is on Conference Champions, we need to replace Ohio State with Penn State. Our at large bids, which could include independents, would be Ohio State and Michigan this year. Here is the playoff teams and seeds:

First round:
Appalachian State vs Oklahoma, Western Kentucky vs Ohio State, San Diego State vs Michigan, Temple vs Western Michigan.

Second round:
Alabama vs Western Michigan, Clemson vs Michigan, Washington vs Ohio State, Penn State vs Oklahoma.

So you have 4 rounds? If you keep conference championship games, that means you have teams potentially playing 17 games.

I personally think it should be structured this way:
  1. 5 power conferences get an automatic bid.
  2. There are three at large bids.
  3. Two at large bids would go to the next best two teams and one non power 5. The third at large bid would go to the power 5 if the non-power 5 did not meet the following criteria:
  4. One at large bid would go to a non power five if it made the following criteria:
    • Must have scheduled at least two power 5 non-conference opponent
    • Was ranked in the top 10 and played and won its conference championship or was undefeated and in the top 25.

The premise would be that ONLY the power 5 conference winners earned their bid. The remaining 3 slots are not earned but wildcards and are only invited as a terms of balance to the 5 teams and to add some spice to the playoffs.

The teams would be ranked 1-8 in seeding with #1-#5 automatically being the conference winners.
1 would host 8, 2 would host 7, 3 would host 6, and #4 would host #5. So yea, there will be a sucky conference each year who doesn't get to host the game.

The first round would be hosted as a on campus home game.

The 2nd round would be done the same way the college football playoff system is now at neutral sites and bowl selections.

So basically you'll see SEC, B1G, Pac12 and sometimes ACC teams putting teams. It also gives a chance for a non-power 5 to sneak in.

Don't these clowns realize it was inevitable for us to be in the B10....theirs been rumblings since 1990 that took too long but we're here....jealousy is the haters motivation. ..they gotta get over it.. Delany was no fool....
Given that we've been an embarrassment in football and men's basketball since joining (aside from the first year in football), and have gotten progressively worse in both sports, I can understand becoming a question mark for bloggers and journalists. My point in what I bolded in my initial comment was that the blogger said that the "...the tsunami appears to be coming..." and "...nothing seems imminent or even likely..."

When I read statements like that, I know the writer was trying to sound knowledgable but didn't pull it off.

interesting article but I don't think the conferences lose members. If anything there may be a restructuring for football / basketball to be more regional with combined TV rights across all media formats.

While the conferences may continue it may move back to an 8 game schedule since inventory may not matter as much for tv rights (if they become combined). Then you would have a scheduling body oversee the OOC schedules.

For Rutgers it may mean 3 of the 4 OOC games against Lambert Cup foes (ie. Army, Navy, UConn, Umass, temple, Syracuse, Va tech, UVA, BC, Buffalo, etc...). this way we get PSU, MD, and 3 others for 5 Lambert Cup direct games.

First round:

Second round:

This is silly because if you guaranteed that P5 champs had the first 5 slots then by default the conference champ games essentially are part of this playoff.. SO you really will have 10 teams vying for the 5 guaranteed slots ( i would force the Big 12 to shit or get off the pot when it comes to champ game). Leaving you with 3 at large bids for anybody whom you felt was deserving with the at large.

So this year, you could potentially have the committee forced with the decision on the final at large bid being a discussion of Wisky being deserving vs someone else since wisky would have lost that "playoff game" against PSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT