ADVERTISEMENT

What is doing this well at Midlands equal to?

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
Guys,I don't know to much about wrestling. Is the Rutgers success there like getting to a New Years Day bowl or Elite Eight in basketball? Also,will this stop the bashing by some posters about Coach Goodale? The interest in Rutgers wrestling seems like night and day to when he arrived.

As Head Coach, Goodale gives credit to others when they win and takes responsibility when they lose. Under his leadership the team has achieved more than anyone expected. Will he lead Rutgers to being a top 5 program? I don't know. The success of the program under Goodale's leadership is unquestionable. He is the most successful wrestling coach in the history of Rutgers. There will always be posters who bash the program a well as homers. That is part of what message allow us to do. For the most part, the bashers should be ignored. They may have wrestled. I doubt if they recruited, built a team of 30 men, sold over 2,000 season tickets, developed strong ties with the administration, and provided kids with the chance to All American and succeed.

Its a big deal the same way that Louisville win was for the football team so many years ago. It showed we belong and now fans are allowed to have expectations.

Goodale is who he is. I think until he has a national champ, he will be bashed. Once he does, he won't be as much. The problem is there really are only a handful of coaches who can recruit elite guys to sit the bench and create the PSU/OSU/tOSU enviornments. There are always things he can do better, but I doubt the program rises to where it is under someone else who isn't a gold medal olympian/training them.

Cant complain about the huge improvement in RU wrestling. They remain a significant gap below the top teams and will likely stay there as they just cannot compete recruiting wise.

However, lots of NJ talent finally staying home which is great to see.

To get to the next level will likely require better facilities and a top name head coach. Nothing against Goodale as hes done a super job but he just cant compete against Cael, Ryan, Brands et al... they are legends in college wrestling

Reactions: TommyRutgers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT