ADVERTISEMENT

What will our game 1 Starting Five be?

BuggsyRU

All American
Gold Member
Mar 22, 2007
I don’t follow basketball as close as football… and I have my guess, but would love to hear what the general consensus RU starting five is game one!

We will have 6 guys playing starters minutes

Noah
Derek
Gavin
Aundre
Mawot
Ckiff

That’s 160 minutes

Antonio gets cliffs 10-12 minutes

That’s 7 for 170…..

Wonder how the last 30 gets divided

My hunch
-15 for Austin
-15 for Chol / JMike

We shall see …there is only 200 minutes …

Reactions: NickRU714

Noah
Derek
Gavin
Aundre
Mawot
Ckiff

That’s 160 minutes

That’s 7 for 170…..

My hunch
-15 for Austin
-15 for Chol / JMike

You’re totally missing Wolf. He will get tons of minutes at 4 and 5

This year we can go 11 deep some games. Because of the tempo, will need fresh legs.

Start/End
Noah
Derrick
Gavin
Hyatt
Cliff

First in
Mag
Wolf
JMike

Others seeing minutes
Williams
Chol
Oskar
Ogbole ( perhaps)

Reactions: MiloTalon13
We have a lot of 4's. Just backup Cliff.
Hyatt, Mag, Oskar, Chol and Wolff - that is a lot of 4's
It will be interesting to see if Hyatt really gets minutes at the 3 or 2 like Pike said and if Mag gets minutes at the 3

Hyatt, Mag, Oskar, Chol and Wolff - that is a lot of 4's
It will be interesting to see if Hyatt really gets minutes at the 3 or 2 like Pike said and if Mag gets minutes at the 3
Pike really does have a ton of options everywhere this year. It'll be interesting to see what type of lineup combos we see out there. A couple players are not going to end up being happy with their playing time

Pike really does have a ton of options everywhere this year. It'll be interesting to see what type of lineup combos we see out there. A couple players are not going to end up being happy with their playing time
Plenty of options at Center, PF and small guards
Big guard/SF not so much

Agreed on PT issues, it won’t be easy for the coaching staff

Figure we’ll always have a minimum of two ball handlers on the court - right?

I don’t consider Mag or Hyatt ball handlers unless either has improved at that skill a lot.

Simpson, Noah and Davis are ball handlers. They are all small so I’m not sure how much Pike will want 2 of these 3 playing together. Is GG a decent ball handler? If so, I think he’ll end up playing a good amount at the 2.

We have a lot of 4's. Just backup Cliff.

You should listen to Coach Pikiell's interview. He said Wolf has improved to the point where he has to find him minutes and that may mean giving him some time at the "4".

I think there are 7 players on this team that are getting 17+ minutes per game: Fernandes, Derek, Gavin, Hyatt, Cliff, Mag, and Wolf. And Cliff is getting +/- 30/mpg so if I am correct Wolf is getting minutes at a position other than Center.

Noah
Derek
Gavin
Aundre
Mawot
Ckiff

That’s 160 minutes

That’s 7 for 170…..

My hunch
-15 for Austin
-15 for Chol / JMike

We do this every year with projections of a 11-12 player rotation.
As you say, there is only 200 minutes to go around.

It's a basic and primitive analysis:
Last year we had 7 players over 10mpg (Oskar was at 9mpg)
UConn had 9 players over 10mpg last year.

We do this every year with projections of a 11-12 player rotation.
As you say, there is only 200 minutes to go around.

It's a basic and primitive analysis:
Last year we had 7 players over 10mpg (Oskar was at 9mpg)
UConn had 9 players over 10mpg last year.
You don't really know how good guys are from playing against each other in practice.

Lots of guys look a certain way in the pre-season, look like they can do certain things - then the lights come on and the cameras roll

Basketball just doesn't work well with 10+ players in a rotation AND, we'll see by January there is more separation of the levels of the players than we've seen/heard about so far.

Really do not know the minute distribution because of the uptempo guys will be asked to go full tilt then come out for a blow and then back in. J. Mike and Wolf will see minutes not equal to but close to the starters. Don’s sleep on either one. Not thinking anyone plays more than 30 minutes a game and that includes Cliff. Expect Choi and Oscar to get some minutes as well and Austin Davis. Pike will be juggling on the fly until it settles in. Should be a fun team to watch and root for in a totally different style than Pike’s prior 7 teams.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Got to have Big Cliff, Gav Grif, and Noah.
Pike will add in Mags and Simpson.
I would add Hyatt and JaMike instead.
People who say it doesn't matter who starts have never started/ not started. It matters in the everyday pecking order. It effects how you think about yourself. When you don't start you don't eat dessert and that is the way it should be.

I would be SHOCKED if Hyatt doesn't start. Pike has been effusive in his praise for him this offseason as a player and leader.

I would be SHOCKED if Hyatt doesn't start. Pike has been effusive in his praise for him this offseason as a player and leader.
I agree.
Mag isn't starting vs St John's in a little over two weeks and then Princeton is a month from tomorrow.

Sounds like Mag's rehab had gone great, but people are expecting too much from him to go from non-contact to ready to start in a little over a month.

Reactions: satnom
The further we can postpone Mag's return, the better for him. Definitely don't want to rush him back. The further from surgery, the less likelihood of re-injury.

Ideally, he's back in full form by early January.

Reactions: satnom
I agree.
Mag isn't starting vs St John's in a little over two weeks and then Princeton is a month from tomorrow.

Sounds like Mag's rehab had gone great, but people are expecting too much from him to go from non-contact to ready to start in a little over a month.
I don't think anyone has said Mag will be starting the season opener

If he is ready to play at all by then, it's a huge win

The whole premise of a coaching staff is to maximize the productivity of what a player does or can do well, while finding minutes for other players, at the position or spots on the floor, where they also can do well.

If you remove Hyatt from the 4 spot, you lose a lot of shooting and rebounding capabilities. So while fans are trying to figure out why Hyatt would play at possibly the 2 or 3 (which are kinda the same to me), it comes down to defense/rebounding staying intact, without losing the scoring or threat of a shooter coming off the court (Hyatt).

This is really also more about Wolf and his improvements AND is also about the staff reducing the risk of what happens when Mag isn't on the floor. The goal is to find someone else beyond Mag and Caleb McConnell on this year's roster, who can defend. YES, Mag is back, but we cannot expect top level lateral quickness defense for 30+ minutes a game from him.

So there are tons of minutes and defensive possessions, where someone else other than Mag at the wing or 4, has to run, jump, be at the top of the press and play with quickness. Wolf is being groomed to play the Mag role, so we are not "Mag-reliant".

So lineups like Simpson or Fernandes, with Griffiths and Hyatt at 2 or 3 (depending on the opponent or matchup), with Woolfolk and Cliff....or Mag and Cliff, is probably more likely to happen than most lineup combinations.

Now, if Jeremiah Williams, was somehow granted a waiver and was eligible to play most of the season instead of missing half of this season, then this all goes out the window.

But Hyatt is going to play 26 to 32 minutes a game, unless there's a ton of fouls called on him. And that means playing at the 4, 3 and 2.

Woolfolk being slimmed down 20 pounds, means he is closer athletically to Mag before Mags injury. I think the staff sees Mag and Woolfolk as the 2 "must-have to play good defense", players that have to be on the court for 35 out of 40 minutes. Whether they split time at the 4 or if Woolfolk is at the 5 and Mag the 4, only gives is more defense and switching capabilities.

I think if Jeremiah Williams gets a waiver and plays all season long, this is a Sweet 16 type of roster. That's how talented and capable defensively, Williams can be, while providing significantly better offense than what we saw at PG last year.

Noah
Derek
Gavin
Aundre
Mawot
Ckiff

That’s 160 minutes

That’s 7 for 170…..

My hunch
-15 for Austin
-15 for Chol / JMike

You forgot about Wolf. Can anticipate him playing the 4 alongside Cliff at the 5.

Reactions: RutgHoops
The whole premise of a coaching staff is to maximize the productivity of what a player does or can do well, while finding minutes for other players, at the position or spots on the floor, where they also can do well.

If you remove Hyatt from the 4 spot, you lose a lot of shooting and rebounding capabilities. So while fans are trying to figure out why Hyatt would play at possibly the 2 or 3 (which are kinda the same to me), it comes down to defense/rebounding staying intact, without losing the scoring or threat of a shooter coming off the court (Hyatt).

This is really also more about Wolf and his improvements AND is also about the staff reducing the risk of what happens when Mag isn't on the floor. The goal is to find someone else beyond Mag and Caleb McConnell on this year's roster, who can defend. YES, Mag is back, but we cannot expect top level lateral quickness defense for 30+ minutes a game from him.

So there are tons of minutes and defensive possessions, where someone else other than Mag at the wing or 4, has to run, jump, be at the top of the press and play with quickness. Wolf is being groomed to play the Mag role, so we are not "Mag-reliant".

So lineups like Simpson or Fernandes, with Griffiths and Hyatt at 2 or 3 (depending on the opponent or matchup), with Woolfolk and Cliff....or Mag and Cliff, is probably more likely to happen than most lineup combinations.

Now, if Jeremiah Williams, was somehow granted a waiver and was eligible to play most of the season instead of missing half of this season, then this all goes out the window.

But Hyatt is going to play 26 to 32 minutes a game, unless there's a ton of fouls called on him. And that means playing at the 4, 3 and 2.

Woolfolk being slimmed down 20 pounds, means he is closer athletically to Mag before Mags injury. I think the staff sees Mag and Woolfolk as the 2 "must-have to play good defense", players that have to be on the court for 35 out of 40 minutes. Whether they split time at the 4 or if Woolfolk is at the 5 and Mag the 4, only gives is more defense and switching capabilities.

I think if Jeremiah Williams gets a waiver and plays all season long, this is a Sweet 16 type of roster. That's how talented and capable defensively, Williams can be, while providing significantly better offense than what we saw at PG last year.
Hyatt for 26-32 minutes/game
and Mag/Wolff for 35-40 minutes?
I don't see how that works with Cliff getting ~30 minutes
That's 91-102 minutes with all guys were were 4's or 5's last year - with only a few minutes of Mag/Hyatt at the 3
And that's without Chol or Oskar even getting in the game
Competition for minutes at the 4 will be fierce

It will be interesting to see if/how much time Hyatt/Mag get at the 3 or 2.
Last season, they combined for 1.9 Assists/game and 2.5 Turnovers in about 48 mins/game
That's not a good sign

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT