ADVERTISEMENT

Whats up with 2016-2017 recruiting?

Stringer likes keeping recruiting information secret.

There was suppose to be transfer from berkley UC Brenna Cavanaugh?
And what happened with the 6ft 9inch center Avyerten?

From who ? RU fans of the program ? Geno ?
Too funny.
No, CVS does not keep recruiting information secret. What she does (and it annoys some) is wait until she has all the LOI's in the fall signing period before she announces the "class" - 2 players as indicated elsewhere. This has been 100% consistent in the past, although I couldn't find the announcement for this year on Scarlet Knights..

She is not allowed to discuss, as I'm sure you know, recruits until she has a signed letter of intent from them. The spring signing period does not start until April 13 (and runs to May 18th). So if we sign anybody, I'm sure that is the period where an announcement will be made.

No, CVS does not keep recruiting information secret. What she does (and it annoys some) is wait until she has all the LOI's in the fall signing period before she announces the "class" - 2 players as indicated elsewhere. This has been 100% consistent in the past, although I couldn't find the announcement for this year on Scarlet Knights..

She is not allowed to discuss, as I'm sure you know, recruits until she has a signed letter of intent from them. The spring signing period does not start until April 13 (and runs to May 18th). So if we sign anybody, I'm sure that is the period where an announcement will be made.

I agree with your description. I don't recall seeing an announcement for the fall class, either. I wonder if it somehow got missed due to her mother's illness.

Reactions: Knight Time Fan
I hear that we have a point guard from North Jersey who is lightning quick, can distribute the ball, and score. A 2 guard that is a tremendous scorer, a forward who can shoot from the perimeter as well as drive to the basket, and a rugged center that be dominant near the basket! (Sorry, but I just returned to ancient days of Matee, Piph/Cappie, Essence, and Kia. Sigh......).

I hear that we have a point guard from North Jersey who is lightning quick, can distribute the ball, and score. A 2 guard that is a tremendous scorer, a forward who can shoot from the perimeter as well as drive to the basket, and a rugged center that be dominant near the basket! (Sorry, but I just returned to ancient days of Matee, Piph/Cappie, Essence, and Kia. Sigh......).
Yep and you heard about them when RU felt the time was right to tell you.

Lol. So you expect a recruiting miracle I presume? No further discussion needed. It is nice to remember. That's all we have left in women's basketball now. Sweet memories of days long ago.

Yep and you heard about them when RU felt the time was right to tell you.
Santa Claus is coming to town.Fans are asking for a simple listing of recruits not a commentary on Rutgers womens basketball by RU old timer.

When Stringer retires we should go for Chris Dailey associate coach from Connecticut. She has the contacts and would build the program into a national power again.

Thanks for supporting my view! My comments should not be "Samta Claus' presents"! A Hall of Fame coach in a power conference SHOULD be bringing in these recruits in 2016! (Not fantasy or 10 year old memories). End of my discussion. Signed, RU old timer who would rather live in the past when it comes to RU women's basketball with sweet memories. There is nothing sweet about the program today. For now, all we have in the program is the past.

When Stringer retires we should go for Chris Dailey associate coach from Connecticut. She has the contacts and would build the program into a national power again.
I think if Chris , she would have been one by now and in a spot that she knows she'll get the support she needs to be a winner.
30 years at UConn makes me believe she's going to retire from there when Geno calls it quits
or before that happens.

But maybe Dailey being a RU grad would make me wrong about that and she would let herself be talked into following Stringer in an effort to make the RU WBB program one of the top ones again.
Dailey served as Grentz's top assistant in the 1983-85 season before moving on to UConn in 85
Would be nice to see her ready to take over as as CVS' top assistant in the 2017-18 season
ready to be the HC IN 2018-19.
But being happy where she is and a salary a little over $300,000 a year , along with her age , might make Chris feel she's at the best plasce for her now no matter what another program offers her.

This is the kind of or lack of recruiting that is going to keep this program sinking further into mediocraty

http://www.insidewarren.com/?p=675

Sports Chatter: Cavanaugh To Rutgers
TOPICS:BasketballBlair AcademyHackettstown High SchoolTigers
brecoach1215verbal.jpg
Breanna Cavanaugh, of Allamuchy, at right, meets with veteran Rutgers University women’s basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer. Cavanaugh has joined the Rutgers University basketball program as a transfer from the University of California, and is eligible to start playing following the fall semester of 2016.

POSTED BY: MEL JANUARY 8, 2016

By Andy Loigu

Breanna Cavanaugh, selected Warren County Girls Basketball Player of the Year by this writer last March, has enrolled at Rutgers University and is eligible to start playing for the Scarlet Knights following the fall semester of 2016.

She is transferring from the University of California, after suffering a concussion, and will have four years of eligibility at Rutgers.

An Allamuchy resident since kindergarten, Cavanaugh attended Good Shepherd Christian Academy in Washington Township through the elementary grades and then went to Blair Academy, where she was a standout player who drew national attention.

She is the sixth girls’ player at Blair to score over 1,000 points in her career.

In her senior season, she averaged 19.5 points per game, along with 7.8 rebounds, 6.3 assists, and 3.5 steals per game, displaying multiple skills on both offense and defense, along with a team oriented attitude and a strong basketball IQ.

She led Blair to wins in 17 of their last 18 games, as the program won its fifth consecutive New Jersey Prep A state title last season.

She was recruited to play at the University of California, and was going to red shirt (sit out) this season, then decided to come home and now is officially a Scarlet Knight. She has enrolled at Rutgers and will be attending classes in the spring semester.

Cavanaugh, a point guard, will play for C. Vivian Stringer at Rutgers. Stringer has over 900 wins in a spectacular basketball coaching career which began in 1972. Stringer has coached the Scarlet Knights since 1995.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmd78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT